- Text Size +
Remember the phrase “everything happens for a reason”? If everything happened for a reason why did I feel like I was running in circles and not able to accomplish anything? That is why up until now I had hated that phrase. But life was about to prove me wrong in a very big way! I had been in the Event Management Program for about four months and was loving every minute of it. I was gaining all the knowledge and experience I needed and having fun at the same time. It was common to have guest speakers during our lectures to teach us about their specialized field of work. One day we had a speaker who had come to talk to us about event production. His name was Joe Mater. I was currently organizing an event and my professor thought it would good if I spoke with Joe about a technical aspect I was having some trouble with. So after class I asked to set up a meeting with Joe. He agreed and later that day I met with him to discuss my event. He was extremely helpful and seemed really interested in the event and asked if he could get involved. Of course I was more than thankful for his involvement and over the next few months Joe and I spent a lot of time working together on the event.

It was during this time that he began to tell me about his past work experiences and brought up his work with the infamous group the Backstreet Boys. Let me just say I was shocked. You see, I happened to be a big fan of the Backstreet Boys. I didn’t want to get too excited or pry too much but of course I wanted to know more. So little by little he started to tell me how he worked as a production manager on a lot of their tours whenever he got the chance and he was in the process of arranging a meeting to start work on their next tour. It was all so fascinating to me. Up to this point I had been mostly interested in personal events like Weddings and Anniversaries, but hearing Joe talk about everything he did on the tours was starting to make me think I might like other areas too. But I had no idea how to even go about getting into that area of work so I asked Joe if he had any advice. He said he would talk to some people he knew and get back to me with more information. By now I was beyond excited. I couldn’t believe so much was happening in such a short period of time.