- Text Size +
There I was, 23 years old, just graduated from the Event Management Program and on my way to Las Angeles, California to meet the Backstreet Boys and travel around the world as a tour… whatever I was. I was shaking like a leaf when I got off the plane but felt a huge sigh of relief escape my lips as I saw Joe waiting for me with a big smile on his face. Joe really had become like a second Dad to me and I was so glad to have someone I knew with me and even more happy that it was Joe. I was going to be staying with Joe for the first few days before we actually hit the road and he was going to fill me in a little more on what I was in store for. I wish we had more time because those three days flew by so fast and I still felt like I knew nothing.

The day finally had come. Everyone who was part of the production/management team was meeting at a huge cargo hall to help start packing up the transport trucks with equipment and make sure every other tiny detail was taken care before we left the next day. Let me just tell you, I saw so many things while on that tour but I will never forget pulling into that huge parking area and seeing ten transport trucks, tour busses, boxes galore, hundreds of people running around moving equipment and hearing people shouting commands left and right. It was the quintessential description of organized chaos and I loved it!

We found Jen and she handed me a stack of papers, a walkie talkie, said your in charge, follow the list and then she was off. That was it? Follow the list! At that moment I knew I was screwed. I started to panic. I couldn’t do this! I was in way over my head, had no idea where to start, who anyone was and she just wants me to follow a list. Great! I looked at the first thing on the list and was relieved to find out all I had to do was find a person wearing a yellow vest and help move boxes out of the loading dock. Okay not so bad, maybe I over reacted. Think again. I think Jen was just going easy on me by putting the list in order from easiest to most difficult because by the end of the day I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off! Screaming commands on the walkie talkie, calling caterers, ordering people about, signing documents. I wasn’t even sure if I was allowed to be doing half the things I was or if I was even doing anything right but I could never find Jen anywhere and she did say I was in charge. So what the hell. I figured I’m already knee deep in crap, just go for it! I guess it paid off because by the time Jen finally returned she gave me the good old good job pat on the back. I had never felt so exhausted and yet refreshed at the same time. I guess I could do this job after all! I was just about to cross the next item off my list when Jen pulled me back and threw me completely off guard. “So, are you ready to meet the Backstreet Boys”?

I’m sorry did I hear her correctly? Am I ready to meet the Backstreet Boys? Was she crazy?! I was a mess. My hair was pulled back into a sloppy ponytail with strands of hair falling all over my face. I saw sweating like a pig and completely out of breath from running around all day. I was wearing an old pair of jeans and plain white t-shirt which now had dirt stains all over it. And I was still reeling from everything that just happened on my first day of work, which I thought was not over yet. So needless to say, no I was NOT ready to meet the Backstreet Boys! You know, I had always wondered how this moment would transpire. Maybe everyone meeting up a nice restaurant and formally getting acquainted. I’m escorted onto their tour bus and we all sit it the tight quarters chatting it up. We are all sitting in a board room discussing business and in they walk and formally meet everyone. Or maybe even hanging out backstage and we casually start bumping into each other. But definitely NOT like this! This was number one on my worst case scenarios list. Now trust me, I tried to convince Jen that it wasn’t a good time, that I was busy and work comes first but it didn’t work.

“It’s no big deal. They’re just eating some lunch. And they wanted to meet you anyway so come on” she said.

Wait what? “What do you mean they wanted to meet me anyway” I asked in a very confused way.

“Well you are going to be working with them like every day so it’s probably a good idea to meet the person you’re going to be bossing around right?” she laughed.

I was so confused. “What do you mean I’m going to be working with them everyday?” I asked.

“Well isn’t that what personal assistants do silly?” she said in way that implied I should have known what she was talking about.

“Personal assistant? I thought I was part of the production/management crew? Working with you and Joe” I said.

“Well… you are. You’ll help us if anything comes up like someone gets sick and we need a spot filled but for the most part you’re with the guys. Remember I said you’ll be like a gopher? Trust me, they’re gonna have you so busy you won’t be able to see straight by the end of the tour!” she laughed again.

I had no idea what she was talking about and she was laughing like this was old news! I was just coming to the realization that I was personally going to be waiting on the Backstreet Boys hand and foot for the whole tour, which meant I was going to be spending a lot of quality time with them for almost eight whole months, when I heard voices. Not just any voices, it was them. And they sounded so normal. They were just ideally chatting amongst themselves, laughing and joking around. For a minute I didn’t feel nervous at all. Until we rounded the corner and there they were, all four Backstreet Boys sitting right in front of me. They didn’t notice us at first so I had a minute to take in the sight before me. It seemed like a private moment between them that I almost felt I shouldn’t be watching. But it wasn’t. It was just them, being real. Brian was sitting at table reading over some paper work, Howie was standing off to the side talking on his phone, AJ was sitting in a recliner chair and Nick was sitting on a couch across from him, both playing some video game. A box of half eaten pizza was in the middle of the table and a burly looking security guard was sitting across from Brian doing a good job on the rest of the box. Suddenly my nerves kicked in when Jen happily chipped “Hey guys!”.

In a split second all eyes were on us, well more like me and I instantly felt like that scared little girl again with no idea what to do or say. So I did nothing. I just stood there like an idiot, probably looking like a hot mess with a star struck look on her face.

“So is this her?” asked Howie. Her? I think at that moment I felt about two inches tall. He sounded sincere but all I kept thinking was I shouldn’t be here.

“Yep, this is her. Guys, I’d like to introduce to you Rhea McKenzie. Your new personal assistant!” Jen announced.

“Hi, it’s nice to meet you” Howie said while reaching out to shake my hand. I hesitantly shook it back while he gave a soft smile and a nod and then returned to his phone call.

“Hi, I’m Brian. So, where are you from, what’s your favorite color, do you want some pizza?” he said in his goofy voice and gave me a big cheesy smile. Thank god he broke the ice because I couldn’t help but laugh. I didn’t have time to reply to any of his questions because AJ had walked right up to me and given me a nice welcome hug while saying “Don’t mind him, you’ll get used it. Glad to have you on board” then stopped to stand next to me.

I then realized there was only one more left and that was Nick. I turned to look at him only to be a little taken aback to see him staring at me very intently. It was pretty intimidating since I always found Nick to be quite attractive and I’ve always been nervous around guys, let alone the Backstreet Boys, so his stare made me very uneasy. But as soon as I caught his eye he stood up and held out his hand and said “Hey, I’m Nick”. I shook his hand and quietly replied “Rhea”.

“Rhea, that’s a very pretty name” he said sincerely.

“Thank you” I timidly replied. I could barely make eye contact with him. I wasn’t used to receiving compliments very often and there was something about his eyes that were just piercing.

“Well, we’ll let you guys back to whatever it is you’re doing. We’ve still got some more work to do before tomorrow. I guess we’ll just see you guys bright and early to hit the road” Jen piped in.

“Great, can’t wait” replied AJ in a sarcastic tone.

“Oh come on, you can sleep on the plane” added Brian.

“Still doesn’t change the fact that I have to get up at the crack of Dawn’s ass” sniped AJ.

Jen just shook her head and chuckled while Howie pointed at me and said “Guys, lets try not scare her off to quick okay. We need her”. The others laughed and apologized and I just smiled while I took it all in. I guess I just had to wrap my head around the fact that I was indeed working with the Backstreet Boys and I needed to loosen up a bit. But I had a feeling that was going to be easier said than done.