- Text Size +
We all gathered in the terminal to get our luggage, which was a lot, and made our way to the airport exit to begin getting in the cars to take us to the hotel. Once we got outside it was chaos. There were vehicles everywhere, horns honking, people yelling over other people trying to get people in the right cars. Security guards were trying to keep the few fans that had showed up in line. AJ made a comment to me about never knowing how the fans know where they are always going to be when he doesn’t know half the time himself. I completely agreed because I didn’t even know where we were and I was part of the “posse” now! Jen was talking to me about a radio press kit the guys had to do a little later today and told me I should just tag along with them and keep my phone on in case she needed anything while we were out. I was just about to get into the car with her when someone grabbed my arm from behind and pulled me back. I quickly turned around to see who it was thinking I did something wrong only to find Nick standing there. But he wasn’t looking at me, he was talking to one of security in a serious way that I couldn’t really make out and he was still holding my arm gently. A couple people looked over to see what was happening when Jen popped her head out of the car and asked what I was doing. I just looked at her with an “I don’t know” look on my face. She wanted me to get in the car with her but that was a little difficult to do with Nick still holding my arm. I kept looking over at Nick but he still wouldn’t acknowledge me. Finally Jen clued in as to what was going on and yelled “Nick, what are you doing, get in your damn car! Let’s go!”. He looked over at her quickly and grabbed AJ who was standing off to the side having a smoke and pushed him towards the car. “AJ is going with you” he said. Jen looked at him like he was crazy while AJ said, “I am? I thought I was in the cab?”. Jen replied, “You are, Rhea is with me, you go with Nick, come one lets move!”. Suddenly Nick kicked into gear and responded, “I’m going with Rhea in the cab, Big Bob will be right behind us, AJ go with Jen” and with that he dragged me off to the waiting cab leaving a confused AJ and Jen behind and myself just as confused following behind him.

When we arrived at the cab he opened the door and let me in first then climbed in behind, told the driver who he was, and we were off to the hotel. I sat there dazed for a minute until words came back to me and I asked “What just happened?”.

“I wanted to spend some more time with you and I know from experience that on the road finding alone time is hard and I thought that arranging the car ride to the hotel would be easy but apparently it’s not” he said with a frustrated smile. Wait a minute, Nick Carter wanted to spend alone time with me? I don’t know if I was more shocked that Nick Carter wanted to spend time with me or that any guy in general did? I was also starting to realize that maybe I should stop referring to him as ‘Nick Carter’ and maybe start to look at him as just a nice guy.

“Why do you want to spend time with me?” I asked.

“I don’t know, you seem really nice. I mean I don’t remember the last time someone let me hold their hand on a plane because I was scared. And you’re funny” he replied.

“I’m funny?” I asked finding that hard to believe.

“Yeah, you made me laugh twice already today. I’m usually pretty grumpy on tour so that must say something about you” he said.

“Really? I guess I’ve never thought of myself as funny before” I replied.

“Well I think you are and I would like to get to know more about you, if that’s okay?” he asked.

“Um, yeah, that’s okay. I’d like to get to know more about you too” I replied. We had just pulled up to the hotel and there was already a pretty good size crowd standing outside waiting for them. I started to get a little nervous. Having been a fan myself I know what some of these girls are like and I was worried what they would think when they saw Nick get out of the car with some random girl who just happened to be me. Nick looked around at the scene and said, “Good! Then it’s a deal. I’ll find some time for us to spend together but listen, it’s going to get a little crazy right now so maybe you should get out first and go right inside and then I’ll be in, in a little bit”. I just nodded and for a second it looked as if he was almost going to give me a quick kiss or something but stopped himself. So before anything else could happen I grabbed my purse and got out of the cab. Just as I was rounding the car Jen and AJ pulled up and Jen jumped out of the car, ran to grab me and pull me inside.

“What the hell happened?” she asked me as soon as we had entered the hotel.

“Um, I’m not sure, Nick just wanted to finish a conversation we were having on the plane I guess” I lied. I wasn’t sure what I was supposed to say. I mean, had Nick just asked me on a date or was it a just friends type thing? Was I even allowed to date him if that’s what it was?

“Well, I’m going to have to talk some sense into that kid. He can’t just go around messing with our logistical set up. Typical Nick. Sorry he pulled you into that” she said.

“What do you mean? It was just a car ride!” I replied.

“It might seem like just a car ride but it’s more than that. Just think of when you guys pulled up. Nick should always have security on him and he didn’t because Big Bob got stuck in traffic. And you had to walk through those fans all by yourself. You shouldn’t be alone yet either. We don’t know how they might react to you since you are a new face. What he did could have been dangerous. He knows better than that” she said.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t realize” I apologized.

“It’s not your fault. Next time just let me know, if you can” she smiled as she went off the start the check in process of everyone. I stood off to the side and watched as the guys signed autographs and took pictures with all their fans. I was still trying figure out what was going on with Nick when a whirl wind of people started pouring into the hotel lobby grabbing keys from Jen left and right and heading up the elevators for what I assumed was a much needed nap for everyone. Jen handed me my key and said I could head upstairs myself and check out my room but that we needed leave in the next hour. I decided not to wait for Nick and head up like Jen suggested. I would see Nick soon enough. I was just about to swipe my room key when Nick came walking down the hall.

“Hey, where did you go, I thought you would wait?” he asked.

“I figured you were busy and I didn’t want to bother you” I replied.

“You would never be bothering me” he replied seriously.

I just smiled but didn’t respond. “Hey, why don’t you come to my room to hang out for a bit before we have to go?” he asked. I looked at him hesitantly. “Oh no, nothing like that! Just to talk” he exclaimed. I was still hesitant. “Please?” he almost begged.

“Okay fine. But we do have to talk” I said. He smiled so big I swear his eyes sparkled. He was really going to make this hard. We entered his room which was just down the hall from mine and I was taken aback by how beautiful it was. I had never stayed in a hotel like this before so it looked like royalty to me. I think he noticed my amazed expression and asked “what?”.

“Oh, I’ve just never been in such an amazing hotel room before! Actually I don’t stay in hotel rooms very often so this is just surreal to me” I replied.

He was looking at me very intently, almost the same way he had the very first time we ever met and it was that look that made me uneasy. Like he was sizing me up or trying to get in my head. “Okay, why are you looking at me like that?” I asked.

His looked changed like he knew he had been caught doing something wrong and replied, “Oh sorry, it’s just you really are a small town girl aren’t you? Down to earth?” he asked.

With a confused look I replied, “Ha, I guess so. I mean yeah I’m a small town girl and I would like to hope I’m down to earth. Why?” I countered.

“No reason, I just find it interesting. I don’t meet many girls like that, like you, so I guess I’m intrigued. I guess I’m just trying to figure you out is all. If that’s okay?” he replied.

His honesty made me comforted and uneasy at the same time. I was glad he was being open with me but nervous about his intentions. It wasn’t very often that I had a guy telling me he found me intriguing and wanted to get to know me more so needless to say I was a little skeptical. But at the same time it felt nice to have someone show some interest in me. And if he was being honest with me I guess I should be honest with him.

“Yeah, that’s okay with me. It’s just…” I paused. “Just what?” he asked. “It’s just, I haven’t had many guys show an interest in me like you are and I’m a little hesitant. Nervous I guess. To be honest, I don’t have much experience with this so I’m a little unsure about all this. Not to mention the fact that you are who you are and I’m working for you. Doesn’t that complicate things? I mean it’s fine to be friends but I would like to hope I’m going to be friends with the rest of the guys too and they aren’t going about it quite the way are to ‘get to know me’. So it just makes me wonder is all” I confessed. It felt good to get that off my chest but I was worried about what he would think now. I was kind of insinuating that he may be interested in more than friends and this was coming from someone with no experience with guys so what would I know?

“You’re right” he stated.

“What?” I asked.

“You’re right. It is different. I like you. And I don’t know what this or where it’s going but all I know right now is that I want to find out. I want to spend time with you. Because I like you” he confessed.

“I’ve never had a guy tell me he likes me before” I admitted.

“Really” he asked shocked.

“Yes really, don’t sound so shocked” I replied dryly.

“Well I am shocked” he said matter-of-factly.

“Why?” I asked incredulously.

“What you mean why? You’re beautiful, funny, caring, and honest. You want me to keep going?” he asked.

“Maybe” I replied slyly.

“Hard working, smart, kind…”he continued.

I cut him off, “Okay, okay you made you’re point, you like me. I don’t know how you see all those things in me, or maybe you’re just humoring me, but thank you either way”.

“I’m not humoring you, I mean it” he said seriously.

“You do? So you think I’m beautiful?” I asked shyly.

“Of course! You caught my eye the minute you walked into the cargo hall lounge the first time we met. I couldn’t stop starring at you! Didn’t you notice? I thought you caught me in the act and I felt like such a dumbass!” he admitted.

“Oh, I didn’t realize. I mean I did. I saw you looking at me but I didn’t think…I mean, I never would have thought that you…” I stuttered.

“You never would have thought what? That I could think you’re attractive?” he asked. I just innocently looked up at him. “Oh my god Rhea! Are you kidding me? You have to know you’re pretty!” he said unbelievably. I still didn’t say anything. “Rhea!” he emphasized.

“What do you want me to say Nick? It’s not everyday I have a gorgeous guy telling me he thinks I’m pretty, in his hotel room! A guy who can have his pick of any girl he wants” I said sadly as I starred down the groups of girls just waiting for chance to catch another glimpse of him.

He quietly walked over to me, put his hand on my shoulder and whispered, “You’re right; I can have my pick of any girl I want. And I pick you”.

I turned to look at him and innocently asked “Why?”. He gave me another ‘are you kidding me look?’ and I quickly corrected myself, “Sorry, I’m sorry! It’s just like I said, I’m not used to this. But I’m flattered, thank you”.

“Well, get used to it. You know, I really don’t think I’ve ever met a girl like you before. You seem so together but at the same time…” he trailed off.

“Not?” I offered. He didn’t say any more so I continued, “I am together, really. In every aspect of my life except this” I explained. I figured now was as a good a time as any to open up to him about why I was the way I was. I had already admitted to myself that was a little, okay a lot screwed up when it came to guys and I had already convinced myself I needed to open up and there was the opportunity starring me in the face. So I spent the next half an hour telling him all about my past, my troubled childhood and all my insecurities in a nut shell. He was really receptive and not judgmental at all which I was thankful for.

“Listen, we all have our ghosts in the past, most of all me” Nick confessed. “I’m not one to judge anybody on relationships or even lack there of. And trust me, I can relate when it comes to a dysfunctional childhood and family. And hey, if you’re worried about things moving too fast, I don’t want to rush into anything either. I’ve been burned in the past and I’m not looking to rush into any kind of relationship too fast. We’ll take things slow okay? We can start by just hanging out and getting to know each other. I guess more than what we just did today. Sound good?” he asked.

“Sounds great” I said relieved. “But one condition. No more sneaking around and messing with Jen’s plans. She freaked out over a freaking car ride! Just let her know when you want to pull something that like again okay?” I smiled.

“Deal” he smiled back and without hesitation he pulled me into a hug. I was a little shocked but at the same time it felt good. I knew it was just a friendship hug and that meant a lot. Soon after we left the hotel to head to the radio interviews. When I finally had some time to myself I started to think back at everything that had just happened in the last 24 hours. I had already gained a new friend and I had a feeling my relationship with Nick was just beginning. I had gone from being completely awkward and shy around him to now having shared some of my most personal secrets with him. I felt like I trusted him already. I was still reluctant to believe that all this was real though. That someone like him would be so interested in me; in whatever way he was. But it was enough to just feel accepted by him and this group of people.