- Text Size +
The top was down as he drove with the wind ripping through his blond hair. He felt so free and loved the wind in his face. He was driving through the little town of Dalton, GA. He was heading back home to Tennessee from a visit with Brian that didn’t end as well as he’d hoped. He hated leaving that way but he knew if he didn’t leave right then feelings would be hurt. He already had enough on his plate to deal with. He didn’t need Brian’s shit on top of it all. He knew Brian meant well, he really did, but he always takes it overboard. It’s amazing to him now, to think back to the old days, how close they had once been. “I know he thought I was a pain in the ass, following him around like a little puppy” Nick thought to himself as he drove by the beautiful pasture fields full of all kinds of livestock. The smell of the country invaded his nostrils and he wrinkled his nose at the invading aroma.

“How do people stand that smell?” he said to himself out loud.

Suddenly, a loud pop came from under the hood of the car and smoke came pouring out.. Then it stopped dead in the road.

“Fuckin great! That’s ALL I need right now”, he said.

Nick put the car in neutral and got out. He started pushing the car to the side of the road.

“I’m glad I started working out” he chuckled to himself as he jumped back in the car and hit the brake. Putting the car in Park and setting the emergency break, he got back out and walked to the front of the car. He took out his BlackBerry to call for some help but where he was at he received no signal.

“This just keeps getting better and better” he said sarcastically to himself.

He took in his surroundings. He had passed the major town already (well if you call that major. If you blink you’d miss it) and it was a good mile back Where the car chose to break down there was a big pasture on either side of a dirt road that looked like a driveway.

“Well, I pray to God someone lives close up that road” he thought to himself as he started to walk.

The road was lined with a white fence as far as he could see. In a distance he could see a small, two story house.

“I hope they have a phone out here in Dogpatch, U.S.A.”, he silently prayed to himself.

He started walking down the road, kicking up dirt as he walked. He got a little ways down the road when he hear something. He craned his neck to the left to see what it was. In the distance, coming rapidly towards him, was a someone on horseback. As they grew nearer, he could tell it was a young woman on a huge black horse. As he took in the sight, he was in awe of how human and animal could move with such fluidity with each other. Suddenly there was a small fence in front of them and his heart stopped for a moment. He thought they were going to crash into it when the horse took flight and sailed a mile high over the top railing. He’d never seen anything like it. As she brought the horse to a walk he seen her look over at him and take notice of him. The horse then broke out in a trot as she rode up to him.

“Hey”, she said, “you lost?”

“Hello, no, my car broke down at the end of this road here and I was looking for the nearest house for some help. I must be in a dead zone cuz my phone has no signal out here” Nick explained to her.

Lexi looked him up and down. He was quite a beautiful spectacle of a man. Tall, lean, guessing around 6 foot and the most beautiful pair of blue eyes. But he looked a bit too high maintenance for her taste. Meanwhile, he was giving her the once over as well. There was a rugged beauty about her. About 5'6 he’d guess since she was on a horse, long, curly auburn hair and very mesmerizing green eyes.

Thinking to herself he looks harmless enough, she steered Sunny over too him. He started to back away. She chuckled at how uncomfortable he seemed around the horse. Taking her foot out of the stirrup, she extended her hand to him.

“Climb aboard cowboy, and I’ll give you a ride to my house and you can use the phone” Lexi offered.

Nick looked up at her like she’d completely lost her mind. She must have realized this because she let out a hearty laugh at him.

“Just put your foot in the stirrup and hang onto me and swing yourself up and your leg over. It’s not difficult” Lexi explained to him.

Nick did as instructed and what a sight it was. Grunting and groaning, he finally made he was up behind Lexi. Nick was really glad there was no one around he knew. They’d never let him live this down. The close proximity was a bit uncomfortable considering they haven’t even exchanged names yet. Suddenly Nick remembered his manners.

“By the way, my name is Nick” Nick said as he tried to get comfortable. It wasn’t easy for him. He’d never seen a saddle like this in his life.

“Nice to meet you Nick, my name is Lexi and welcome aboard Sunny”, Lexi said as the wheeled the horse towards home.