- Text Size +
Lexi pulled the truck up right in front of the bunkhouse. They had been into town to buy Nick the supplies he would need for his stay. She thought Nick was gonna buy out the whole store! And when he pulled out that wad of cash from his billfold, her eyes about popped out of her head. “Who IS this guy?” she had thought to herself, staring at the guitar case.

Katie all but climbed over Nick to get out of the truck. She was excited that this newcomer was going to be staying for a while. She had really taken a liking to Nick. Living way out like they did, they rarely got company or saw anyone other than themselves. She occasionally went to friend’s houses from school, but she was mostly stuck on the farm and got bored of it. She loved to ride her horse, Lil Sprout, but one could only do so much riding before getting bored. So, having Nick around, it was going to be a nice change.

Lexi and Nick got out of the truck and grabbed a bunch of the bags and hauled them to the porch of the bunkhouse. Lexi reached into her purse and pulled out some keys. She selected a key and slid it into the lock. With a soft click the door was unlocked and she turned the knob and pushed the door open. She turned and picked up her bags and headed inside. Nick followed her. They set their bags down on the counter in the small kitchen. Nick took a look around. He smiled when his eyes landed on the pink curtains hung in the windows with little hearts on them. Lexi caught on to what he was smiling at.

“Yeah, not very “manly” is it?” she said with a chuckle. “Katie uses this as a playhouse since its been abandoned for so long. It helps keep the place clean. I had told her that if she uses it, she has to keep it clean.”

Nick just smiled wider and went on through the small structure checking out the rooms. True, the rooms were small and it wasn’t very big, but he was pleased with what he saw.

“It’s perfect” he said.

With that, they went back outside to gather the rest of his things. Lexi stayed long enough to help him put away the groceries they had purchased.

“I need to get Katie back over to the main house and get her homework done, her bath and then bed. I’ll be back after our nightly ritual is done. I need to bring you some fresh sheets for the bed and some towels and washclothes.” Lexi told him.

“That fine. Take your time. I’ll just put the rest of this stuff away and get settled. I can’t thank you enough for this Lexi. I really appreciate your kindness and hospitality.” Nick told her.

“No need to thank me Nick. Just make yourself at home and I’ll be back soon.” With that, she collected Katie from the bedroom and headed out the front door.

After they left, Nick carried the bag with his toiletries into the bathroom and started putting them away. After that, he got his dufflebag and started putting the clothes in it away. He was going to have to ask Lexi if he could borrow her washer and dryer...and her help to wash them. Yeah, he had “taught” Aaron to use the washer/dryer on House Of Carters, but the truth was, if no one could tell, he didn’t know what the hell he was doing. While out shopping, he did go into the men’s clothing section and picked up a few more articles of clothing since he’d only had a couple outfits he had packed for his weekend with Brian. Once everything was put away to his liking, Nick moved to the front window of the house and pushed aside the girlie pink curtains with a soft smile. He could see the lights on upstairs and assumed Lexi was getting Katie ready for bed. He turned and walked into the small living area of the bunkhouse. There was an old recliner chair that had seen better days and two green garden chairs and a beatup looking coffee table that made up the furniture. In the corner was a small endtable that a small boombox sat on. He walked over to it and noticed beside it a small collection of CDs. He flipped the knob over to radio and turned on it on. He fiddled with the tuning knob until he found something he liked. Then he picked up the CDs and walked over to the recliner and sat down. Looking through the CDs, he quickly noticed they were in a little girls taste. Justin Beiber, The Jonas Brothers and the like made up the small collection of the CDs. There were also a couple Hannah Montana CDs in the pile. It made him think of Brian and he laughed. It was then he realized, he didn’t think Lexi had recognized him. They had been busy since they had met, getting his car taken care of and shopping that she didn’t seem like she knew who he was. It was kind of refreshing in a way. He pondered it for a while, wondering if he should tell her or not. He finally decided not to, unless she brought it up. He sat forward and put the CDs on the coffeetable and then sat back. Reaching to the side of the recliner, he pulled the handle and brought up the footrest and laid back to relax.

Inside the house, Lexi went to work with Katie to get her homework done for the night. Luckily, she didn’t have very much because it was getting late and close to her bedtime. With the math homework quickly squashed, Lexi announced to Katie that it was bathtime. Katie bulked at her mom’s announcement.

“MOM!!!” she shrieked, “I don’t take BATHS anymore. I’m a big girl now. I take SHOWERS!”

“Sorry!” Lexi said, “its just a term Katie. Now go get your pjs and I’ll get it started for you.”

As Katie scrambled to her bedroom, Lexi went into the bathroom across the hall and got a towel out of the linen closet and started Katie’s shower. Then she went back to the linen closet and set out some towels and an extra set of bedsheets and a blanket for Nick to take to him after Katie was in bed. As she was doing this, she seen Katie streak, naked, from her bedroom to the bathroom. She smiled, used to this routine, but then thought, with a man around, she would have to talk with Katie about this ritual. She went into Katie’s room and got the little girls pink, fluffy Hannah Montana bathrobe and took it into the bathroom. Katie was singing at the top of her lungs, already in the shower, “Are you ready? Lets go Are you ready? Lets go...Are you ready? YEAH I'm coming up with all my girls, were gonna party like theres never a worry cus good time rules, so no curfew”. As Lexi listened to her daughter sing the lyrics, she realized that maybe she should take another look at those Hannah Montana CDs she bought her. She then grabbed the towels and bedclothes and took them downstairs. As she was coming back upstairs, Katie came out of the bathroom with her robe on looking all clean.

“I smell pretty!” she announced, holding her head up to her mom to smell.

“OOOO” Lexi cooed, “Lilacs. I love that smell.” she said.

“Me too!” Katie said with a stiffled yawn.

“Ok..off to bed with you young ladies. Princesses need their beauty rest.” Lexi prompted her daughter.

Katie didn’t give up much a fight tonight. With all the excitement of the day, it had worn the little girl out. She crawled up into her bed, pulling the covers down and crawling under. Lexi pulled the overs back up, tucked them under her daughter and then turned on the Hannah Montana lamp on the sidetable (see a trend here?).

“G’nite sweetheart. You go to sleep. I’m going to go over and give Nick some stuff he needs but I’ll be right back. Sweet dreams” she told her.


“Ok. I’m so happy he’s here. Maybe he will like it here so much he won’t want to leave!” Katie said excitedly. “Good night mommy” answered Katie.

Lexi frowned when Katie said this as she walked to the door and closed it until it was just cracked open. She then headed down the stairs and collected the things for Nick and headed over to the bunkhouse.