- Text Size +
CHAPTER 10
“Are you winning much?” I asked as I pulled the seat out beside him.
“Breaking even. Wanna play?”
“No, actually, I want to talk to you Howie.” He glanced from up from the cards on the table to me.
“It’s serious?”
“Yeah. And private.” He nodded his head and told the dealer to hit. He hit 21, beamed up at me and grabbed my hand, placing a kiss on the back of it.
“You’re my good luck charm.” I smiled and tugged my hand out of his grasp, noticing the many pairs of eyes glancing in my direction. He cashed out and we walked away from the table. “Is there any place you want to go?”
“Away from prying eyes and ears?” He nodded his head and we took the elevator down to his bedroom. He slipped the card in and ushered me to go in before him.
“Are you okay?” I sat down on the bed and took a steadying breath. “Resa, you know you can talk to me.”
“I know. I just, I have no clue how to explain what’s going on in my mind.” He knelled down in front of me and brushed his knuckles across my cheek.
“You don’t have to say anything.” I pulled away from his touch and he frowned.
“That’s just it, I do have to say something. After our kiss this afternoon, John stayed and talked to me.”
“Yeah, I remember.”
“What he said wasn’t the nicest thing. But, it was point blank. After all that we’ve done,” I saw the smirk on his face and had to smile myself, “after all of that, it should be rather obvious that I like you Howie. And that I like doing things in public. And on most cases I would say I don’t mind, but on this boat, with tons of your adoring fans, it isn’t smart and it needs to stop.” His smirk went away and he stood up.
“Why?”
“Why, what?”
“Why does it need to stop? You like it, I like it.”
“Your fans don’t like it and they don’t like me. Some serious damage could happen. Are you willing to put that on the line to have a couple moments of erotic pleasure?”
“Well…” I quickly jumped off the bed and made my way to the door. “Wait..”
“Oh no, Howie, you made your point very well. I’m not worth much other than the little fling you need.”
“That’s not it at all!”
“That’s the worst bull shit I heard you say! There’s tons of girls on this boat, how about you take one of them and screw them, because this fling is done! I’m worth more than a few moments, damn it!” With that, I flung the door open, letting it slam against the wall. I stormed out of the room, not giving two shits who saw, or for that matter, who heard. Talk about a major asshole. Where the hell did he get off! I flew down the hall way, never noticing the person coming from the opposite way. I smacked into her and she fell to the floor.
“Hey!” I glanced down and offered my hand.
“Oh my gosh, Stephanie, are you okay?”
“Yeah, I’m fine. You see distant, everything okay?”
“Just got into a stupid fight. Hey, it’s a good thing I saw you though. I tried to reserve the club, but they wouldn’t let me. But, what I can do is let you stay in the VIP with us. It’s not much and I’m sorry.”
“No, that’s the best birthday present. I’m actually flattered that you remembered.”
“I try very hard not to forget my promises. Now, I have some last minute things I have to do, so, I’m sorry once more.”
“No, don’t worry about it.” I smiled at her as she waved and went on her way. I glanced around and noticed Howie was leaning against the door frame. I glared at him and marched back down the hall way.

I leaned back against the seat, letting the bass massage the tension away. I ran my fingers through my hair and sighed.
“Something wrong?” I glanced up and shook my head. “Something is.”
“Nothing for you to be worried about.”
“Come on. Tell me.”
“I’m fine. Look, your hoochies want you.”
“Theresa…”
“John, let it go, please.” I got off the chair, glad to see Amber come in. Before she could go to the table, I grabbed her arm and headed to the dance floor.
“Well, I guess I’ll dance.”
“Yes, you are.”
“Wanna explain to me why you’re dressed in that killer outfit with the I’m-very-pissed-off attitude?”
“Howie and I got into it this afternoon. Said I was really just a fling, and he was more than willing to let the dangers happen as long as that fling kept going. So, I’m going to let me him have his fling with some other more than willing hoe.”
“And now you’re making him pay by wearing that?”
“I’ve worn it before!”
“The mini skirt, the tight top, the five inch heels, um, no, not that I can recall. At least, not all at the same time.” I shrugged my shoulders, letting my hair move. “And you certainly haven’t styled your hair like that. Damn, you look hot.”
“It’s what I was aiming for, thank you.” She laughed at that.
“Yeah, he’s gonna regret that comment. Are you okay?”
“I don’t want to think about it right now.” She nodded her head, knowing that the tears and the hurt would certainly happen away from all the eyes.
“Excuse me, Theresa?”
“Stephanie, it’s great that you’re here. Time to really party. You know Amber. It’s her 21st birthday, so I told her she could hang out in the VIP section tonight.”
“Well, happy birthday. Come on, we’ll introduce you.” Stephanie walked behind us, timid and shy. I linked my arm through hers.
“Don’t worry, they don’t bite. John, D, come here.” D turned around and stared. His jaw dropped slightly and it took everything I had not to gloat. “I want to introduce you to someone. Guys, this is Stephanie. It’s her 21st birthday, and since she’s been so amazing on this cruise, I thought we would be nice and let her hang out with us. Do you all mind?”
“No, come on, it’s a pleasure. I’m John, but of course you know D.”
“Hi.”
“Girl, don’t be shy. They ain’t nothin’ special,” Amber said, sitting down next to Pollyanna. “Come on, I’ll introduce you to the rest of the family.” I turned away and went to the bar, ordering a shot. The bartender smiled and I winked, loving the smile he had. He placed the glass in front of me and when I went to pay, he shook his head.
“For someone as beautiful as you tonight, it’s on the house.”
“Than I’ll drink this with pleasure.” I saluted him and slammed the shot down. “Do you get a break?”
“In two hours for half an hour.”
“Do you dance?”
“Only if you save me one.” I winked at him once more and nodded my head. He beamed and went to wait on the next customer. I turned around and almost slammed into Howie.
“What was that?”
“What was what?”
“That thing with the guy.” I gave him a confused look. “The flirting with him.” I glanced in the direction he waved and frowned at the bartender.
“Why does it matter to you?”
“Because you were flirting with him.” I shrugged and walked around him. He grabbed my arm and yanked me hard against his chest. “You’re mine.”
“You made your point earlier, thank you.” With that, I yanked my arm out of his grasp and marched my ass over to the dance floor. THE NERVE! Oh, that man was skating on some thin ice and the sad part, he didn’t even know it, nor understand it.

~*~ Let's get it on in public/ Just let it go/ I promise that you'll love it/ Oh daddy don't you wanna be my subject/ Ooh let's get it on in public Ooh ~*~