- Text Size +
CHAPTER 14
Two days later, I walked into the office. I figured it was a good time to start cleaning out all the stuff at the DLF office, seeing how everyone was still on the cruise. I sat down at my desk and stared at my computer. I had made so many promises with Amber to get everything together after the cruise and yet, I really had no idea where to start. And, if I was being honest with myself, I really wasn’t giving Howie two weeks. I shook my head, my eyes traveling over the pictures along my desk. There was plenty of my family, and quite a few of some of my best friends. And one or two of me with Howie. How did one go from being such good friends, to lovers, to enemies? Maybe it honestly wasn’t a good thing to be screwing around with friends. Everyone always say they make the best lovers, and the best boyfriends, but in this case, everyone was simply wrong. Granted, Howie was amazing in bed, latin lover was such a great nickname. But outside of that, he really didn’t treat me much better than my ex boyfriends. I grabbed the pictures and threw them in the trash. Those were not ones I held dear and certainly not ones I wanted to keep. I took a deep breath, realizing that I just wasn’t ready to clean this stuff out yet. I got up and made my way into Howie’s office. I sniffed, still smelling the faint cologne that lingered. Damn it all to hell! I really, truly, hated that stupid little latin man! How dare he do this crap to me! I turned, just about ready to walk back out the door when I saw his calendar with my name. I walked over to it; seeing the dates marked off for the cruise, but my name with xoxo under those same dates. It wasn’t possible that he had planned all of that! I mean, the last night, yeah, that was planned, but everything else just felt so, natural. But, than again, this was the same Howie who had been a Backstreet Boy for damn near forever and really knew how to charm the women. And I played right into that hand. Well, screw him, cause it was not happening again! With that, I walked out of his office, slamming the door behind me.

~*~ [Nas] But first I gotta nut before anything you willin/ You wit it, its animal behavior/ La chic, la freak out, with the sexy beast ma who slays ya/ This is for the major who love the natural love makein outdoors/ On the hood of your car/ Nas is good at it all when it comes to gettin it raw/ Do I have to convince ya naw/ We don't need hotel key ~*~

“Hello?”
“It’s great to hear your voice!”
“Amber, I’ve missed you.”
“I can tell, you haven’t answered your phone.”
“I haven’t been home, to be honest.”
“Mmhmm. Anyways, will you be able to pick me up at the dock?”
“Oh, not now. I’m sorry, I have an interview. Can’t one of the Doroughs give you a ride?”
“Well, about that, I’m sort of the last person they probably wanna deal with?” I paused as I opened my car door. Amber was friends with anyone. It hardly ever happened that she pissed people off.
“Amber, do I wanna hear this story?”
“Probably not.” I glanced down at my watch, seeing how I had only thirty minutes to get to the other side of town. But, I wasn’t a heartless bitch and I could not leave my friend alone. I sighed, knowing I just lost a damn good job.
“I’ll be there in twenty, just, make sure no one is around?”
“I’ll try, but you know I can’t make promises.”
“Yeah, yeah, see ya in a few.” With that, I slapped my phone shut, tossed it in the middle console and quickly tore off to the dock.

Fifteen minutes later, I saw her and ran to give her a huge hug. She giggled, and talked about the last couple of days, but I had zoned her out. Don’t get me wrong, I was beyond curious about what happened, but I was not ready to deal with all of the Doroughs or hear stories for that matter.
“Are you listening to me?” I put the car in drive and quickly glanced over at Amber.
“Of course.”
“Really now, what did I just get done telling you?” I thought it over for a few seconds, and smiled.
“The fact that you ran out of film.”
“Lucky guess, but I know you weren’t listening because you mumbled something after I said that Howie jumped over and was eatin’ by sharks.”
“Well, to be honest, that is a good thing.” She crossed her arms over her chest and tilted her head to the side.
“Do you not care about his side?”
“No, Amber! All you can tell me is that he’s sorry for being the jackass, that he never meant for it to happen, that he cares too much for me to be hurting and that he does not want me to quit, does that sum it up?”
“Okay, yes it does, but it’s all true!”
“Do you know I’ve heard that same song and dance from him before? Yeah, don’t look shocked, it’s what he does! It’s what he says! After being in the spot light for so long, Howie will not change. But, it’s not all on him, I’m mad at myself. Against all common sense, I told myself to stay away, that I didn’t want my heart broken, and look, I jumped into this mess with both feet and with both eyes wide open.”
“Who did he say those things to?”
“Oh, about three of his ex’s, when he hurt them. All except for the quitting part, but this was a slightly different deal.”
“I don’t remember.”
“No offense dearie, I was a lot closer to Howie than you were. You were always drooling over his best friend.”
“Oh, thank you for reminding me that I need to call him!” With that, she dug out her cell phone and quickly dialed his number. I gagged as they started talking. Just a little too mushy for me and the state that I was currently in. And damn it all to hell, she got me thinking and talking about Howie again! I glanced at her and sent a glare her way, which caused her to do a double take. She shrugged, not understanding what that glare was for, but oh well, it made me feel just a tad bit better.

“You have to be there!” I glanced at my friend and shook my head.
“I don’t want to go to AJ’s party because we both know who’s going to be there!”
“Oh, for crying out loud it’s been three days already, suck it up! Move on, damn it!” I turned around and stared at her.
“Well, what the hell crawled up your ass and died?”
“I want you to go. Out side of Alex, I’m not really close to anyone, and once the rest of the guys show up, I’m alone. I need you there, please?” I rolled my eyes, knowing that I couldn’t say no, but knowing as well, that this was a really bad idea. Something deep inside told me I was not going to like how this was gonna turn out. Hell, I had that same feeling with Howie and look how wonderful that turned out to be.
“You owe me!” She beamed and gave me a hug. “Give me half an hour to get ready.” With that, I made my way up the stairs and to my room, dreading this afternoon.

~*~ [Nas] We jump in the truck and stain everything up/ Slide your g-string up ~*~