- Text Size +
CHAPTER 3
I slid into the seat, crossing my legs, and waiting for Amber to show up. I glanced at my watch and saw the hands hit 11:30. D, John, Pollyanna, and of course, all the fans were here, but I wasn’t in the mood to dance without having my back up dancer.

“Waiting on me?” I uncrossed my legs and glared up at her.

“What the fuck took so long?”

“G, I got stopped by a really cute guy. Not all of us can have stars falling at our feet.”

“He’s not falling.”

“He sure can’t stop starin’ at you or your legs.” I glanced down and frowned. I wasn’t wearing anything special. Skirt and top, nothing to flashy. “You look good and he knows it. Anyway, ready to dance?”

“Yeah, just waiting for you.” She laughed and walked out on the dance floor, me following closely behind. Over the speakers, Kelli’s In Public came out and we both freaked, loving that song. I started dancing, but stopped when someone’s hand snaked around my waist. I shook my head, but quickly resumed, never once looking back at him. “What are you doing?” I hissed under my breath.

“Loving the view. It’s dark and no ones knows I’m even here.” I felt his breath against the back of my neck and weakened. He could have anything he wanted right about now. I leaned my head back against his shoulder and saw him smirking at me. He pushed me upright and I felt him grinding against my backside. I smiled at Amber, who only shook her head. Before I even knew it, he had left and the end of the song arrived, leaving me teased and fired up beyond my control. Oh, this week and a half was really going to suck if I had to stay next to that damn man.

-----
“Are you okay, mija?” Amber glanced over as Paula walked up to us.

“Fine Paula. Why do you ask?”

“You just don’t seem your bubbly, happy self.”

“Oh, I’m sorry Paula, pero, everything is fine. Just thinking.”

“Although you’re working, still think of it as a vacation. You can dress in your swimsuit…”

“Not going to happen Paula. The meet ~n~ greet is about to start. You might wanna sit down so you don’t get trampled.” She smiled and took a seat in the back.

“You know, you’d fit in fine with the family.” I turned and glared at Amber.

“Amazing, so would you.” She cracked up laughing and walked over to the video camera, making sure all was right. I shook my head and checked over my camera, making sure I had enough film and batteries.

“Resa?” I looked up and around, finally seeing John flagging me over.

“What?” I walked out the door and saw Howie leaning against the wall.

“Gotta jet,” John said, right before he left.

“Do you have to stage everything?”

“Actually, I just wanted to talk to you.” He grabbed my hand and led me to the stair case.

“What’s on your mind sexy?”

“You. Pollyanna and I talked and she told me she was worried about you. And I agree. I know it has to be difficult for you, and I’m sorry.”

“Other events aren’t hard because I hardly know anybody. But here, I know half these people. And I know that in the past I have made enemies.”

“That’s why I want you as close as possible. I want someone watching over you without the fans realizing it.”

“I have Amber and she’s willing to kick ass if she needs to.” He pulled me close and gave me a hug before his lips captured mine. ‘Not now, not with the fans coming,’ my mind screamed at me, but his lips felt so right that I didn’t care. Howie did though, for he was the one to pull away and gave me a wink before walking in the room. I felt a pair of eyes on me and turned to see Darlene staring at me, a question burning within their depths. I waved and followed Howie into the room.

-----
“Someone doesn’t like you.” I shrugged, not really caring. “All she has done all night is given you an evil eye.”

“Tell me something G; did we come on this boat to work or to make friends?”

“To work of course. But you weren’t supposed to make enemies either.”

“G, if this was your boyfriend’s cruise, you would have all these fans hating on you. At least, I know I only have one bad fan.”

“Leave Age out of this. Anyways, that’s not the point. You’re not dating Howie. You may have kissed him and he may be attracted to you, but that doesn’t make you a couple.”

“What was that?” I turned around and found a group of young girls standing behind us. “What are you two talking about?”

“Nothing. Can I help you ladies with something?” I asked, loading up the cameras.

“Theresa, right? I’m Jean, my friend Sue and my other friend Lisa. We just wanted to talk to you.”

“Amber, are you okay with that?”

“I love talking. What do you ladies have on your mind?”

“Well, is it true that you two have been on cruises before?”

“Yes, that is true Lisa,” Amber answered, smiling at her thoughts.

“How long have you known Howie?”

“Well, we all became friends on our last cruise, about two years ago, and than he offered us jobs for DLF. And we’ve been having fun ever since,” I answered, smiling at the girls.

“Are you his girlfriend, 'cause you seem nice and you look good together.” I looked closely at Jean, judging her to be about 13, at the oldest. And far too young to make stuff up like that on her own.

“Jean, how did you figure that out?”

“There’s some girls who were talking about you two. They didn’t sound too nice, but I was happy if you were going out.”

“Thank you, but we’re just friends. Hey, you three wanna work for Amber and me? You could meet Howie, talk to him, have a picture takin’, anything you want. But, you gotta report back to me about any gossip you three here, and I mean anything. But, other than your parents, you can’t let anyone else know what you’re doing, deal?” The three girls nodded their heads and left, giggling about their important job.

“He won’t go along with that.” I turned to Amber, a smile upon my face.

“Yes he will. He usually does anything I ask!”

-----
“I thought I’d find you up here.” I took off my sunglasses and sat down next to Howie. He glanced up at me and smiled, lifting up his hand. “No way, I’m not putting the lotion on you.”

“Please. I want to tan my back.” I snatched the bottle away and glared at him. He smiled and rolled over onto his stomach. “What’s on your mind babe?”

“I had a run in with some girls after the meet-n-greet. They had asked if we were going out. Apparently, there are rumors already. Anyways, they’re my eyes and ears for gossip.”

“And how can you trust ‘em?”

“I told them I would let them meet you or take a picture, or something, whatever they wanted.” He turned his head and glared at me. “But sexy, it’s me, and won’t you do anything for me?”

“Fine, alright. If it keeps you out of trouble that works for me.”

“What’s the biggest thing you’re gonna auction off?”

“A private excursion. Why?”

“I heard Angie talking about it and wasn’t certain, that’s all.”

“You should grab your suit and join me.”

“Oh, I think the sun has fried your brains. I look horrible in a suit, no thank you.”

“Please. You got some nice body parts. I wouldn’t mind seeing a little more skin.”

“D, you see plenty, trust me. I’m too fat to look good in a swimsuit.”

“Theresa, don’t start.” I sighed and turned my attention to the pool. “Come on, let’s go to my room. I have something to show you, alright?” I glanced over at him and shrugged. He sat up behind me and leaned in close to my ear. “I promise you’ll like it. Call it an early birthday gift.” I shivered as his breath ran along my neck. Freakin’ a, he knew he was good and there wasn’t a damn thing I could out there in the open, not with so many eyes glancing in our direction.

“Fine, you win for crying out loud.”

“I usually do.” He grabbed my hand and pulled me up, slipping his arm around my waist. I cringed inside, knowing that by tonight, I would hear more unwanted comments.