- Text Size +
CHAPTER 4
We walked along the hall way, hand in hand. I turned around, hearing voices, but no one was there. I shrugged it off, but had the feeling that someone was most certainly following us. He slipped his card out and opened the door, ushering me in before him. I frowned as I walked in, seeing a big box sitting upon the bed.
“What in the world is that?”
“Your gift, so go open it.” He laughed at my expression, which had to be a mixture of shock and disbelief. I walked over to the box and slowly opened it. Inside was a black dress, strapless and short.
“Oh no, I’m gonna wear that. Hell, I won’t fit into that!”
“Theresa! You know I wouldn’t buy you something that you would look horrible in. Besides, Pollyanna helped.” I held the dress up and against me. Personally, I thought I was too fat to look good in something like this. But, that was something I couldn’t voice, for D disliked when I talked bad about myself.
“Thank you Howie.”
“I want you to wear tonight, at the Captain’s dinner. And, I have an appointment for you to get your hair done.”
“D, this is too much.”
“Tonight, I want you to feel like a queen.” He pulled me off the bed and into his arms. I leaned my head on his shoulder, knowing things might go way too far on this cruise. We had past the line of friendship and we weren’t a couple nor even dating. “Are you okay?” I put a smile on my face and looked into his hypnotic gaze. Inside, my heart, my soul, longed to be with him, but mentally, I knew it wouldn’t last, for it just wouldn’t work. Although, if he was offering a fling, at least I could walk away with a few precious memories.
“I’m fine D, why?”
“Just a feeling. Wanna model the dress for me?” I smacked his arm and shook my head.
“You’re crazy, you know that?”
“It’s not my fault that you look good and that I can’t wait to see all of you.”
“Okay, you’re delusional on top of being crazy.”
“Come on, I wanna see the dress on you.”
“You can, tonight D.” I walked over to his door and opened it. He grabbed my upper arm and pulled me against his body, his lips pressing firmly against mine. My arms snaked around his waist, holding on for dear life. I felt him shove me back and against the door frame, the sharp jab making me realize that anyone could walk by and here they would find us. I pulled away, a smile lingering upon my lips. “Till tonight.”
“Till tonight,” he whispered. I looked into his eyes and what I found there made me shiver. I walked towards my room, lost in my own world, not once hearing the snickers going on.

I glanced at myself in the mirror, twisting every which way, not feeling the least bit comfortable. The dress was wonderful, not on me though. I heard a knock and pulled on a robe before I opened the door.
“Let me see the dress.” I let Amber in and told her to sit on the bed. “Well, your hair looks great.” I turned and threw her a smile.
“Now, no icky remarks.” I untied the robe and let it slip off. Amber stood up and walked around me, nodding her head.
“G, that dress looks outstanding on you.”
“You’re crazy. This dress looks horrible.”
“You know what, yes you’re chunky, you got some meat on you, but you don’t look like a cow. The dress just highlights you’re special assets.”
“Thanks G. Do you think he’ll like it?” I smoothed the dress down over my stomach, feeling so self conscious.
“I think he has every intention of jumping your bones after tonight. Please tell me you’re gonna wear that to the club.”
“In these heals, you’ve gotta be outta your mind.”
“It’ll turn him on even more, which is something you’ve always wanted.” I smacked her arm before I picked up my purse and followed her out of the room. Taking a deep breath, we walked down the hall way and waited for the family at the stairs. This was our first real dinner together, and Amber and I were the only DLF staff to be eating with the family. I heard the chattering and the sudden stop. I turned around and smiled at Howie, who looked dumbfounded.

~*~ I wanna play a game/ Is someone coming, it don't matter just the same/ Try something fun with me/ Let's take our clothes off all over the balcony ~*~

He stood there for a moment, not saying anything, just looking very happy. I cleared my throat which seemed to knock some sense into him.
“You look stunning, sexy.” He walked over and gave me a small kiss, before slipping his arm around my waist.
“Thank you. And thank you Pollyanna. The dress is wonderful.”
“You look good Theresa. I’m happy you like it.” She gave me a quick hug before walking into the elevator.
“Hmm, I see my brother can actually pick out something nice when he wants to.” I hugged John before he headed off too, laughing along his way.
“I tired telling her she looked good D, but she doesn’t believe me.” I turned to Amber and glared at her. “Oh, I’m gonna follow them. See ya.”
“Tell me something, why do you always refuse to listen to people?” I shrugged, not knowing that answer. “We wouldn’t tell you something to save your feelings, so if we say it, we mean it. And I told you that you would look stunning and everyone else thinks so as well.”
“I can’t help it, sexy. It’s the way I’ve always been.”
“Than from here on out, I suggest you start changing. Now, dinner is ready and I can tell you I want only dessert.” I smacked his arm before we headed off in the elevator and down to the main floor.