- Text Size +
Unsuspecting Sunday Afternoon
By Resa Dorough

CHAPTER 1
“I can’t believe you did that man.” Blue eyes turned to stare at brown eyes. “There are 30,000 people in that crowd and you pull a stunt like that?”
“Really, everyone thought it was a joke. Thought you would have gotten a kick out of it.” I glanced between the two men and rolled my eyes.
“Resa, would you please explain to blondie over here that it was not funny and it could have caused a whole lot of shit!” I glanced at Alex, my boyfriend, than to Nick, his boyfriend and shook my head.
“Sorry, boys, this is between you, so play nice.” Alex glared at me and I shrugged my shoulders and threw him a smile.
“Thought you were supposed to be on my side.”
“Whatever made you think that?”
“You’re my girlfriend.” I busted out laughing at that and laughed even harder when I saw the expression on Nick’s face.
“You two are too much. You all have two minutes to settle this spat because the rest of the group will be walking in here and I would think you wouldn’t want them to see you making up.”
“I’m not making up with Nick. This stunt he pulled tonight could have ruined everything!”
“Please! I saw you Alex. Yes, it was dangerous, and yes it probably put tons of questions in people’s minds, but you liked it. The proof showed itself quite nicely!” Alex turned three shades of red while Nick was loving every second of it. “Now kiss and make up.” With that, I leapt off the couch and walked towards the door, right before I saw them embrace. I closed the door tightly behind me and had to sigh. Talk about one mixed up love affair.
“You look tired.” I glanced up and melted. Damn, did that man know he was good looking? Hell, did that man know that every female who was alive and living on the planet wanted to sleep with him?
“I am Brian.”
“What’s takin’ AJ so long?”
“Please, you know the man. Has to calm down before he can do anything else.” Brian laughed and slipped his arm over my shoulders.
“Are you two doing anything later on tonight?”
“It’s up to him. To be honest, I’m more than ready to crawl into bed and just sleep! This tour is just kicking my butt.”
“And the sad part, the tour just begun.” I shrugged my shoulders, but he wouldn’t understand just what kept me tired. Maybe it was the fact that I was living a lie, a rather huge lie and to add to that, I was trying to hide my true love from another person. Yeah, it sure wasn’t easy on me, but that’s what friends are for.
“Maybe I should tell Alex that he can’t keep you up to all hours of the night, huh?” I laughed at that, for he truly had no idea. My heart belonged to the man I was talking to, but I was currently dating AJ McLean, who was currently dating Nick Carter. Talk about confusing. I was getting used to keep up an image, but no one, other than the three of us involved, actually new the truth. In public, Alex and I were very much a couple, minus all the kissy stuff, after all, I had my limits. Nick was single, and chose to stay that way, which made things a lot easier.
“It’s not him. I’ve just had trouble sleeping.”
“Oh, that I can understand. The next time you’re up, let me know. I stay up rather late.”
“How come?”
“Eh, it’s hard to explain.” We both stopped talking as the door to AJ’s room opened up and Nick and AJ both walked out. I closed my eyes, hoping that Brian did not make a comment. “Everything okay?”
“Yeah, Nick had a problem, so he needed someone cooler to talk to.” AJ walked over to me and slipped his hand into mine. “Ready to go hon?” I quickly glanced at Nick and had to chuckle to myself. It pissed Nick off that Alex and him couldn’t be open, but he understand why. But, he certainly did not like the affection I got or the cute little pet names. To be honest, I didn’t either, but AJ had been one of my best friends since we were both babies and I would do anything for him. I smiled at Nick, than at Brian.
“Ready when you are babe.”
“Well, are you really tired?” I rose my eyebrow at that. He smiled and nodded his head to the last closed door. “Howie and Nick were talking about hitting up a club, so, I was wondering if you wanted to go?” His eyes were so very hopeful, but I was so very tired. I smiled at him.
“If you wanna go, go. I need sleep though, so I’ll head back to the hotel while you boys have fun.” He bent down and kissed my cheek.
“You’re the greatest. Love you. Come on Nick, let’s go beat down D’s door.” With that, they took off and I sighed.
“You’re way too good for him.” I only smiled at Brian. “Want me to go back with you?”
“Not unless you wanna go to the club?”
“No, not really. Tonight, I just wanna veg in my room.”
“Sweet, wonderful Brian can not be all alone. Want some company?”
“As long as Jay won’t mind.” I glanced over at him and had to stop myself from laughing. Hell, me being with Brian was the last thing in his mind.
“Nah, I know he’ll be okay.”

“Tell me something Resa.”
“What’s that Bri?”
“How did you and AJ finally get hooked up?”
“Well, you’ve known we’ve been friends forever. And, just one day, I guess we saw each other in a new light and realized we were made for each other.”
“But you two have been dating for so long, why not get married?” I chocked on the soda I was drinking and Brian frowned. “You okay?”
“Wrong pipe,” I squeaked out. I coughed a little bit, took another sip and smiled. “AJ is so busy right now, with you guys and touring, I wouldn’t want to be tied to that yet. When things settle down some, we’ll talk about marriage.”
“And what if you get away in the future?”
“Please, AJ so believes that won’t happen.”
“And you?” I just shrugged. Sure, I knew it was bound to happen, but I had to wait until they were out of the spotlight, which, who the hell knew when that was happening. I mean, AJ and Nick couldn’t tell their closest friends they were dating, how the hell were they gonna tell the world? “That’s not an answer.”
“Why are you so concerned, if you don’t mind my asking?”
“Because you and AJ seem more like friends, than a couple. With Alex’s exes, well, the proof was usually all over him that he was in a relationship.”
“And now?”
“Well, now, you guys barely kiss in front of people or cuddle or anything.”
“To be honest, I’m just not an open affection type of person. Certain things are meant to stay in the bedroom, and I’ve always felt that was one of them.” A true enough of answer, to some degree, I suppose.
“Oh, I was just worried that you were unhappy, that maybe you were seeking, I don’t, an escape I guess.” Damn, talk about pegging a situation. Yes, I wanted out and yes, I was very unhappy, hell, why shouldn’t I be? Alex had his relationship, Nick had his relationship, and I was stuck, loving someone else!
“Don’t worry Brian, I’m fine.” I leaned over and kissed his cheek. “Sides, if Alex pisses me off, or hurts me, I know you’ll beat him up for me.” He nodded his head at that comment.
“Ready to watch a movie?”
“Sure, what we watchin’?”
“Something scary.”
“What is it with you men and scary flicks?”
“Cuddle closer if you get scared, I’ll protect you.” Oh, what an image did that portray in my mind!