- Text Size +
CHAPTER 3
I stood backstage and watched these two men. At all costs, they avoided each other. There was a set where they were supposed to do something and neither did it, causing all four guys to be off beat and screw up the whole show. I shook my head in disbelief, not understanding what the hell was going on. I felt my cell phone vibrate and glanced at the caller id and I had to laugh to myself.
“Long time no talk.”
“Wanna explain what the hell is going on?”
“How do you know?”
“Because I’m sitting in the second row, watching the whole damn show. Nick and Age are both royally messing up.” I pulled the curtain aside slightly and saw the man wave to me.
“Look, they got a few seconds break, come back stage. It will be great to see you.”
“Will do. Do you need to let security know?”
“These guys are the same since you were here. If they don’t remember you Richardson, we got some serious problems.” With that, I hung up the phone and waited for the break to come up. Two minutes later, I felt some arms slid around my waist and lifted me up. “Kevin, put me down!”
“It’s great to see you. It’s been forever.”
“It has. Has the wife?”
“Doing great. How’s the relationship?” I shrugged but beamed. Of course I wasn’t going to lie. Kevin, for some unknown reason, was the one person I could not lie to and get away with it. I believed his eyes saw way too much for anyone’s good. Which, surprised me that he never caught on to Age or Nick. Or, if he did, he never said anything to me, or the guys. “I saw the schedule. The guys are going to be in LA for three days, right?”
“Yeah. They need a breather, so they thought the beach would help some.”
“Great. Listen, I need to talk to you, whenever you get a chance.”
“Like now?”
“Oh, no, not now. I do recall there was always ears around.”
“Of course, Kev. You’re like my big brother.” He squeezed my shoulders once more.
“Good, good. Listen, they got food?” I laughed and smacked his stomach. “What, I’m a growing man?”
“Doesn’t your wife feed you?”
“She does. I still need more food.” I rolled my eyes and took him to the main room.
“Here, eat to your hearts content.”
“You’re gonna leave me?”
“The guys are gonna be off soon and AJ gets a little annoyed if I’m not there waiting.”
“I wouldn’t know why.”
“He doesn’t want me to cheat on him.”
“Of course not. Not like it would matter.” I raised my eyebrow in question, but didn’t have time to ask him anything as I heard the announcement that the show was over.
“I’ll be right back. Stay here.” Kevin nodded his head, already eyeing all the food. I ran to catch up to the guys. “Hey there. Kevin is here, eating away.”
“Great.”
“Whatever.” I glanced from Nick to AJ and than at the rest of the guys. The other two shrugged and made their way into the dressing rooms. I saw AJ slam his door and heard the distinct click of the lock. I let out a breath and walked over to Nick’s door. I gently knocked and heard the mumbled ‘come in’.
“Hey there, blondie.”
“Great. What the hell do you want?”
“To talk.”
“Well, get the hell out because you’re one of the last people I want to talk to.”
“Nick, that’s a little harsh when I haven’t done anything.”
“I said, OUT!” I stared at him for a second more. I turned on my heel and slammed the door behind me. I stared at his closed door and shook my head, not really understanding where that came from or what the hell I had done. I made my way to AJ’s door and knocked, hoping he was ready to talk. He opened the door and stared at me.
“What?”
“I think I deserve the right to know just what is going on here.”
“It doesn’t concern you.”
“Well, it must since Nick just yelled at me.” AJ’s eyes flew to the door across from his and sighed.
“It doesn’t.”
“Well, fine, can I come in since I don’t have any place to chill?”
“No.” And with that, AJ turned around and closed the door, once more locking it. I stood, staring at it, once more flabbergasted. Just what in the world was going on?
“Wanna come in here?” I turned to Brian and smiled.
“Thanks.” He nodded his head and held the door open for me.
“Any clue what’s going on with those two?”
“None. Neither one wants to talk to me. And I haven’t done anything.” I sat down on the couch and Brian sat down next to me.
“Ya know, this isn’t their first fight. Sometimes, Alex and Nick are a lot alike.”
“I know Brian, but they’ve never screwed up a show like they did tonight. Yeah, the fans didn’t mind, but I know you guys, and I know you weren’t happy not giving all of those screaming girls 100 percent. Hell, Kevin even wanted to know what was going on.”
“Listen to me, it wasn’t your fault. You can’t solve all the problems. They’re adults. If they have issues, they need to work it out themselves. We get a break for a few days and if they want to play this game some more and screw up another show, than we will sit down and talk it through.”
“I know Brian. I just…I hate it, it bites. Everyone gets pissed off and I feel like everyone thinks I’m the cause of it.”
“Oh, girlie, I don’t think that. I know those two, I know how they get.” I leaned over and gave him a hug.
“Thanks Bri. I’m glad someone trusts me, enough to talk to me.”
“Always.” He kissed my cheek and I closed my eyes. Damn, how I wished for more. I pulled away slightly and he smiled at me. His hand caressed my cheek and I got lost in those eyes. His head bent forward and his lips softly brushed mine and I sighed deep within. Damn, that simple kiss sure felt good deep down. I moved closer to him and pressed my lips against his, wrapping my arms tighter around his neck. Oh, did he feel so right against me.
“Ahem, hope I wasn’t intruding.” I pulled away and glanced at Kevin. Damn it, I could have blown the cover.
“No. I was comforting her.”
“Right. I want to hit up a club, and everyone is going. So, let’s go.”
“Coz, where’s the wife?”
“At home, sick. She knows, I already talked to her.”
“Fine, fine. Go get the guys, and we’ll go.”