- Text Size +
CHAPTER 4
“Wanna dance?” I glanced up at Kevin and nodded, sliding my hand into his. “Things seem really tense.”
“They are Kev, and I have no idea what to do or what’s going on. I just, I don’t know.”
“I thought coming out here would let everyone get loose, ya know?”
“I know, and I can’t fault ya for it. I’m determined to make the best of it, though.” I beamed up at him and he smiled back.
“Thanks, at least for that.” A slow song came on, but he stopped moving. I glanced around Kevin and saw Alex standing there.
“Mind if I cut in?”
“Not at all, man. Enjoy.” With that, Alex took his spot and I watched my ally walk away. I placed my hand on Alex’s shoulder, but never glanced at him.
“Look at me, please?” I glanced up into his eyes and realized he wasn’t wearing his shades.
“What’s this, McAsshole doesn’t have his shades on?”
“I deserve that.”
“Your damn right you did. I let you do a lot of things McLean, but treating me like I’m nothing is one of the ways of crossing the line. I don’t have to stay here and I don’t have to go through with this shit, you and I both know that!”
“Resa, please hush. I know. Look, I can’t explain what happened here, now. But, just, please, don’t turn your back on me now.” I sighed and closed my eyes.
“We’ve been friends for far too long for me to do that, and you know this. I’ll keep your secret as long as you want me to.” He smiled at that. Without warning his hands grabbed my ass and pulled me against his chest, his lips pushing against mine. I pushed away on his shoulders, trying to push away from him, but not getting anywhere. He quickly pulled away, a smirk on his face. “You bastard!” With that, my hand slapped his cheek. “Don’t you ever do that shit again, or I will leave your ass on the line!” With that, I turned and walked outside. AJ rubbed his cheek, watching the retreating back before glancing over at Nick, whose eyes were currently burning holes all over AJ’s body. AJ shrugged and turned to go the restroom. I sat down on the bench by the door, trying to stop my beating heart. That son of a bitch. I understand exactly what he did and why he did it. And I may not have all the details, but I certainly had a good idea of why Nick and AJ were fighting.
“May I join you?”
“In your ever famous words, the last person I wanna speak to, is you, Carter.”
“Please, Theresa?” I glanced at him and smiled.
“Nick, the puppy dog eyes don’t work on me. Hello, Alex does it all the time and he hardly gets what he wants.”
“Fine, but may I still join you?”
“Fine, whatever.”
“I owe you a huge sorry.”
“You two both.”
“The other day, we were talking about coming out. Rather, I was, Alex still wasn’t comfortable with it. And I told him I really didn’t like you two, well, dating. I even went so far as to ask why he couldn’t be single, like I was.”
“Because that’s not Alex and it would probably start raising questions?”
“True. And that’s exactly what he said. But, I guess I was just overly sensitive that day, because he just made it sound like he wasn’t willing to fight for me. Yet, anyone says one bad thing about you, and they’re getting yelled at for over an hour.”
“I’m guessing you’ve done that?”
“A long time ago, shortly after Alex and I started dating. I was so jealous, and still so new to the feelings, and I didn’t completely trust him, so we got into it.”
“Nick, I hate being the cause of this.”
“Well, it wasn’t about you that even started it. We just sorta blew up at each other. I called him weak, he said I was acting immature. And we both threw out the comments that maybe we shouldn’t be going through this hassle of a relationship.”
“That explains why you’re both mad at me.”
“And I’m sorry. I had no right to be mad at you. I know this isn’t easy for you and I’m not all too sure why you’re doing it for Alex”
“Alex has been the friend when I needed him to be. I owe him a lot more than playing this charade.”
“So, that kiss meant nothing?”
“Come on Nick, you know by now that meant nothing. That was strictly to piss you off and it’s obvious it worked.”
“It did.”
“And if I know Alex, he’s gloating because it did. I may not be dating him, but I do know him. Deep down, Alex is a wonderful guy and you’re lucky to have gotten him. If you love him Nick, don’t let him go.”
“Thanks. You know, I am glad you’re here. It’s nice to be able to get a female input every once in a while.”
“My pleasure.” I leaned over and gave Nick a kiss on the cheek. “Let’s go inside and party. That’s what tonight is for!”