- Text Size +
CHAPTER 5
“Want something to drink?” Kevin nodded his head at a nearby stand but I shook my head.
“No thanks.” We walked along the beach, letting the waves crash along our feet. After a few more moments of silenced, I sighed. “I give Richardson! What’s on your mind?” He chuckled and grabbed my hand, swinging it back and forth.
“Lots of things actually. I’ll start with one though. The other night at the club, when AJ kissed you and you slapped him.” I cringed, for Alex was still upset, but damn it, so I was I. So what if was only a day ago?
“Yeah, I remember it.”
“So do the rest of the guys. Wanna explain what happened?”
“Not really.”
“Okay. Point two, on the same night in question, why was Nick pissed off?”
“I have no clue, do I look like his keeper? Hell, I have enough time keeping track of Alex, the last thing I need to do is keep track of Carter.” Damn, I so hope he bought that, but the questions in his eyes told me the truth, he never believed one word of what I just uttered.
“When are those two guys going to tell the rest of the world they’ve been dating for almost two years?” I stopped in my tracks, tugging on Kevin’s arm.
“What did you say?”
“It’s obvious to anyone who pays attention.”
“Please tell me how you figured it out, because I thought we were playing a pretty damn good game here.”
“Yeah, it’s good. The other guys have no clue. In fact, I wasn’t quite certain until the night of the concert and than the fact that you kissed Brian.”
“I didn’t mean for that to happen.”
“You know Theresa, it’s not fair to you what’s going on. I can tell you love Brian, and it’s not fair that you can’t have him. Wanna explain to me why you would give up your happiness?” I let out a breath and sat down on the beach, gazing out over the ocean.
“It seems like all my life, I’ve always been abused. Mentally, physically, you name it, I’ve just about experienced it. The one and only person whose ever stood by my side, whose ever takin’ me in or cared for me, has been Alex. If it wasn’t for him, I wouldn’t be here. I owe him my life. You see, my father, was a major prick, he used to, well, hit me. First, it was just one to many spanks, or one to many slaps. As I got older, he would use other objects to hit me. Belts, telephones, just other stuff. One day, I couldn’t take anymore, so I hit him back. As I did, my dad’s girlfriend walked in. She hated me, never understood why, but she degraded me whenever she got the chance, and that’s where a lot of mental abuse came from. My mom died shortly after I was born, so I had no comfort there. But, I hit him good, and hard enough that he feel down a couple steps and cracked his skull. I wasn’t sorry than, and I’m not sorry now. But, she wanted to file abuse on me, on me! Can you believe that? I had no where else to turn, except Alex. I hadn’t realized he had all kinds of documentation on me and when I got abused. Even recordings of my dad’s girlfriend’s abuse. When we talked to a lawyer, she lost the idea of trying to file against me. I was 17 and that was the last time I saw my dad. Then I went away to college and he got started with his music. And it was in college that I thought I found the man I would love for the rest of my life. Except, he wasn’t much different than my dad, only in a much cuter, younger form. And he wasn’t physical. He would always tell me to lose a few pounds, to cover up the freckles, not to be smarter than him and that I wouldn’t amount to much. It was a hell dating him, but I really didn’t know better, so I assumed that’s a relationship. One day, Alex was on break and dropped in on me. I was totally thrilled, but my boyfriend wasn’t. Alex was treating us to dinner, and Alex heard the way this guy was talking to me, and I don’t recall ever seeing him so pissed. As my boyfriend was dropping me off, he actually slapped me, said I didn’t need to have friends like Alex. It was than that I saw my father in him, and he was going to raise another hand, when Alex stopped him. Said it would be better if he left and never came around again.”
“Wow.” I had to smile at that.
“So, when Alex came up to me one day and told me the story of how he felt about Nick, I truly had to help him, to start to repay for all the things he’s done for me.”
“That’s great Theresa, but he’s your friend. You shouldn’t have to repay him and he shouldn’t expect you too.”
“He doesn’t. I know he doesn’t. It’s just the way I feel.”
“You’re willing to lose your happiness for the sake of his friendship?”
“Kevin, he’s friendship has been the only solid ground I know. I can’t afford to lose that, now or ever!”
“But you love Brian.”
“I do. And I know Alex will be my friend no matter what happens, but I can’t leave him just up and dry like that, either.” Kevin sighed and squeezed my shoulders against his chest.
“They have to tell the rest of the guys at least. Don’t they know?”
“They do, and Nick has told Alex they had to. Nick hates living in the dark.”
“Oh, that was the fight the other night, huh?”
“Kevin, do you know you see way too much?”
“Of course, that’s why I loved being the quiet one. Girl, I could tell you so many secrets!”