- Text Size +
CHAPTER 7
“How was it?” I glanced over at AJ and shook my head. “Come on, details.”
“No, Alex, no details.”
“You’re my best friend, why aren’t you sharing?” I got up from the couch and walked over to the window, gazing at all the city lights. “Did he hurt you?”
“No, I’m hurting myself.” Alex rested his hands on my shoulders and turned me around.
“Maybe I shouldn’t have done that.”
“I thank you for doing it, really. But I have to tell you Alex, I love Brian and not being able to be with him is killing me. I thought it would be okay, thought I could actually get over it, but I can’t. And it hurts so bad not to be able to have him.”
“Theresa…”
“I won’t spill your secret Alex, you know that. But I can’t stay on this tour either.”
“You can’t leave.”
“AJ, you’ve been there for me when no one else has. You’re my best friend and I thank you for all of that. But I really can’t stay.”
“I can’t fool around with Nick if you leave, Theresa. Don’t you care about that?”
“Don’t you care about my feelings? I love a man that I can’t have because I’m playing a game! I’m not an actress, damn it. I can’t stop or hide my emotions! Hell, doesn’t it flippin’ ass matter to you that someone already knows the truth!”
“Who did you tell?” I rolled my eyes and sighed.
“No one, but sometimes you and Nicky don’t hide things so well.”
“Kevin.”
“Pardon?”
“He knows, right? I should have guessed it. He sees every last thing.”
“Yeah, he knows. And he’s okay with that it. Says he’s happy that you two have found happiness. But he doesn’t like the fact that I’m getting used.”
“You’re not, pre-say.”
“Yes, I am. Yeah, you covered my ass quite a few times, but damn it, J, don’t you think almost two years is payment enough?”
“You can’t leave me, Theresa. You’re my best friend.”
“Alex…”
“It was wrong of me.”
“Excuse me?”
“It was wrong of me to help you all of those times. It’s obvious you’re not my best friend if you can’t stick by my side to help me out. I should have let you’re father go on hitting you. Or maybe you should have stayed with that ex. They would have knocked some sense into you, I’m sure.” My hand snaked out and slapped his cheek.
“You’re a bastard McLean.” With that, I turned on my heel and marched out of the room. I slammed the door behind me and ran my hands over my face. Shit, how was I getting home? I could not believe just how much of a jerk he was being. And it’s not like I was asking for much. Or maybe I was.
“Are you okay?” I glanced up and looked at the guy across the hall.
“What do you care Howie?”
“You two had a fight?” I rolled my eyes and he crossed his arms over his chest. “Look, I’m only asking. That doesn’t give you the right to play the bitchy role.”
“You’re right, it doesn’t. But you don’t have to play a jack ass either, which has been your role as of late, don’t you think?” I stood up and rested my head on the wall. “Yes, AJ and I had a fight.”
“I could tell, heated voices and all. Wanna talk?”
“Not if you can’t offer me a way home.”
“Theresa, things can’t be that bad. I mean, you love Alex.”
“Not everything is always so black and white Howie. Yeah, I love Alex, but sometimes, love isn’t enough. I can’t stay on this tour anymore. There’s just too many problems between him and I.”
“I understand. You’re more than welcome to crash on the couch if you want to.” I raised an eyebrow at him and he smiled. “Terri said I might have been a little…well, jerk, for getting up in your guys business. I’m just trying to make up for it.” I walked over and placed on kiss on his cheek.
“Thanks Howie. But, I’ll just get my own room. For now, I can afford that.”
“If you’re sure.”
“Positive. But go back to bed.” He nodded his head and turned to go back into his room. I sighed and made my way downstairs, hoping that they still had open rooms.
“What are you doing?” I turned around and leaned against the counter, smiling at Brian.
“I’m getting a room for the night. AJ and I got into a serious fight and kicked me out. So, I’m booking a flight out tomorrow.”
“Well, first of all, darlin’, you don’t need a room. I’ll sleep on the couch. And second of all, what am I gonna do while you’re gone?” I smiled again.
“You’re a big boy Bri. You do not need me here to entertain you.” He grabbed my hand and placed a kiss upon the back of it.
“You’re one of my best friends, please stay.”
“I can’t, but thank you.”
“It couldn’t have been that bad.”
“He took our friendship and slapped me in the face with it. And I’m not sure I can forgive him.”
“Come with me.”
“Bri, where are you going?” Before I had time to finish my question he was dragging me to the elevator and pushing the button for our floor. “What are you doing?”
“Confronting your friend.”
“Wait, it’s okay.”
“It’s not Resa.” The few seconds flew by and the doors opened and once more he was pulling me to AJ’s door. He pulled out a key card and quickly inserted it.
“How…”
“I actually have cards to all the rooms. Don’t worry…” He froze in his tracks and stopped in mid-sentence. He cocked his head to the side, trying to understand just what he was seeing. I peeked around him and wanted to cry. AJ was currently pulling his lips, and arms, away from Nick’s.
“What’s up?” AJ asked.
“Maybe I should be asking you two?” AJ rolled his eyes but quickly walked to the door and closed it, finally catching sight of me.
“You told him?”
“No, I didn’t tell him.” Brian quickly turned around and glared at me.
“You knew?” Before my eyes, I saw our brief love affair end.
“I was his cover.”
“I don’t believe this. I thought you were smarter than that.”
“Brian…”
“No, there’s nothing you can say or do that will cover this deception.”
“Oh, I see. You want me when I belong to someone else.”
“That’s bull shit and you damn well know it.”
“Than I’m free.”
“But I don’t want a liar, or a deceiver. You don’t get it. I hated myself for so long because I was falling in love with my best friend’s girl. But here I come, walking in on my two best friends kissing, and than have you tell me its okay to be with you. Well, guess what Theresa, it’s not. Not like this and probably never. Good-bye.” I watched him walk out the door, never feeling so alone. And to top it off, I knew I was going to have to deal with Alex and Nick.
“Resa.” I turned and glanced at Alex, letting the tears fall down my cheeks. “Why did you say anything?” I walked over to him and slapped him.
“I didn’t tell him. He just walked in. So, don’t blame this at my feet. I warned you two from the start not to play this game but neither of you listened. And thanks to that, I just lost the only man I ever loved. Yes, Alex, thank you for being the ever so wonderful friend that you are.” With that, I left, not wanting to deal with anymore Backstreet Boys.