- Text Size +
Unmistakable
By Resa Dorough

CHAPTER 1
“Excuse me; may I have everyone’s attention?” Nine heads turned and stared at the blonde hair woman. “I have wonderful news.” Her eyes flashed down to the man sitting at her side who had more of a confused look, than one of disbelief as he started shaking his head. “Stop, its good news to be shared. Sides, don’t you think it’s time your friends know we’re engaged.” Brown eyes snapped to mine and I could feel my heart crashing. He had gotten engaged? To HER? To the biggest bitch around? WHY?
“D, man, are you serious? You and Leigh?” AJ asked not so much as to be nice or offer his congratulations but truly in question.
“It won’t last.” I turned my eyes to my best friend and offered up a smile.
“For years they’ve wanted us out of their click Megan, and you know damn good and well nothing will stop them.” She shrugged and placed her hand on my arm as a show of support.
“Yes, we’re engaged, isn’t that great?” A round of that’s great and congratulations got mumbled around the table while Leigh Anne went to embrace Leigh and to check out her ring. My eyes glanced back at Howie who wouldn’t dare look at me.
“Are you okay?” I glanced up and offered a smile to my step brother.
“Of course Age. It was coming, I knew it.” No, that was the biggest lie I had ever uttered. My heart belonged to one man and here I thought, there was a chance. Of course, I had told him my feelings one night, mind you, we might have been a little drunk and I’m sure he didn’t believe me, but none the less I told him and he told me he was with Leigh, so to speak. They have had an off again, on again relationship for the last seven years and it was a horrible sight to see.
“You didn’t know it. Wanna got outside?” I glanced around but nodded my head. No one would miss me anyway. He wrapped his arm around my shoulder and lead me outside.

“Is she okay?” Blue eyes glanced up and smiled.
“Park it D.” He pulled the seat out next to her and sat down. “Why did you let her say something?”
“I had no clue she was. This was supposed to be us celebrating the success of this album, not this.”
“She’s hurt you know.”
“I know, because I didn’t tell her first.”
“No, jackass, because you’re engaged. Leigh is the worst woman for you. How can you marry her?”
“We’ve been together for so long and we had rough patches, but than again, so does everyone else…”
“D, you’re a great guy and deserve someone just as great. She’s not it.”
“Since day one, you haven’t liked her.”
“With just cause. I don’t hate anyone to strictly hate them.”
“I don’t want Theresa mad, Megan.” Megan crossed her arms over her chest and shrugged her shoulders.
“That’s not my call. You really hurt her and if I was her, I would stay mad for a very long time.” He sighed and ran his fingers through his short hair.

“Did you know?”
“Of course not. If I had Theresa, you know I would have said something. In fact, the last I heard, was he was thinking of dumping her. That he was tired of this kind of relationship.”
“You know, he always said he didn’t want to be married if he was touring still. Said it would be too hard.” AJ nodded his head. “I just don’t understand why.”
“Babygirl, that is not for me to explain. No one, expect Leigh Anne really likes her. In fact, Kristian is just okay with her.”
“I don’t know why he thinks that being married is gonna be better than just being in a relationship.” I shook my head but couldn’t stop the tears from coming. For over eight years, yes, I knew him that long, I couldn’t stop loving him. But I was nothing more than a friend. I had to watch as he wasted his love on females who never deserved it. I covered my face as AJ wrapped his arms around me.
“Come, you’re gonna ruin your make up.”
“I’m not going back in there.”
“You have too. Leigh knows you won’t say anything. Be the bigger person and offer her congrats.” I pulled my hands away and glared at him.
“I can’t, when that should be me!”
“But it’s not, you have to accept that. Right now, just be the friend we know he’s gonna need. He won’t get married; he’ll come to his senses.” I took a deep breath and nodded my head.
“Give me a moment to compose myself.” He gave me a peck on the cheek and walked back inside. I stared at the moon and watched as a shooting star streaked across the sky. I closed my eyes and briefly made a wish. One more deep breath and I was heading inside, on my way to confront the devil and show I was a better person. I walked to the table and all eyes turned to me. I smiled and walked over to Leigh. She stepped back and pasted on a smile. “I come in peace and to offer a congratulations. D is a great guy and he deserves a great woman.” I gave her a hug and turned to Howie. “Congratulations. I’m sure everything will work out in it’s due course.” I gave him a hug and on kiss on his cheek. As we pulled away, his eyes were searching mine. But he would find no lie there. I had told the truth. I had said that things would work out, and they would. Either he would see her for the liar she was or he would marry and be very unhappy. Either way, it would work out. I turned my attention back to the table and smiled one more. “Now, if everyone will excuse me, I’m very tired and not feeling so well, so I’m thinking I’m heading back to my house.”
“Need a ride?” I glanced over at Nick.
“Megan, are you staying?”
“Is that okay?”
“That’s fine. Yes Nick, I need a ride. Thanks.” He bid his goodbyes and walked me out to the car.
“You’re such a liar.”
“I’m not!” He shook his head.