- Text Size +
CHAPTER 12
“So, shall we order wine around the table?”
“I’m fine, thank you Howie.”
“You don’t drink?”
“Not in the mood. Sides, I don’t want Age to feel left out.” He smiled at me and winked.
“Oh, I’m sorry man.”
“Don’t worry about it D. Everyone drink up.”
“Well, I wanna propose a toast. To the soon to be married couple. May they have a wonderful wedding and hopefully many joys will come your way,” Leigh Anne toasted. Everyone raised their glass and mumbled something or other. I watched Howie, who looked uncomfortable.
“Thank you for your well wishes, girl. I’m sure Howie and I will be very happy.” I took a drink of my soda, wishing for something stronger.
“You okay?” I smiled to my right and glanced at Nick.
“Yeah. I just don’t want to be here.”
“This was not what D wanted. He just wanted a quiet dinner with his friends.”
“He would have to be dumb if he thought no one would toast.”
“He is, after all, he’s letting you slip through his fingers.” I squeezed Nick’s hand and he beamed at me. I glanced around the table and my eyes landed on Howie, who was staring at me very intently. He glared at me and shook his head, turning his attention to whatever Kevin was telling him.
“Did you see that?” I nodded my head in answer to Age’s question. “Are we missing something?”
“I have no clue. I was just talking to Nick. I’m going outside to get some air, excuse me.” I scooted my seat back, smiled at Nick and made a bee line for the doors. Once outside, I closed my eyes and inhaled deeply.
“Are you okay?” I opened my eyes and smiled at D.
“Yeah, just needed some fresh air.”
“I can understand.”
“What can I do for you?”
“Just needed some air as well.”
“Right. What’s on your mind?”
“How close are you and Nick?”
“He’s just a friend. Nothing to get worked up about.”
“Just seem closer.”
“And if we are?”
“It’s none of my business, I know. Actually, I wanted to talk about that night in Laughlin. I haven’t talked to you or seen you since than.”
“Yeah, I sorta noticed.”
“I didn’t want to hurt you.” I snorted at that. “Really. That night was wonderful and I didn’t want to screw it up.”
“Why did you come to me?” It took him a while to answer, which already told me I wasn’t going to like the answer.
“Leigh and I had gotten in a fight, shockingly, over you. I found out that she lied about the little fight between the two of you.”
“So, you used me?”
“Well, no, not quite.” I rose my eyebrow at that. “It’s obvious that I care for you, probably a lot more than I should. I just, I needed you.”
“You needed me before you’re wedding? Right, and that’s supposed to me make me feel better than you telling me you used me.”
“No matter how I explain it, it’s going to sound really bad to you.”
“Than why not just tell me the truth Howie. Why not just tell me that you loved me and you needed this one night to get you through the rest of your life with the woman you don’t really love. Please, give my best to everyone but I’m not feeling good and need to head home.” With that, I turned and left, savoring the look of shock that was on his face. Yup, without a doubt in my mind, I had guessed why he did what he did. And now, he knew that I knew. What he did with that information though, was totally up to him.

“Thought you weren’t going?” The man shrugged as he straightened out his tie.
“Nick is going to be there.”
“And you have a point?”
“We might have a plan.” She stopped applying her make up and turned to look at her man.
“Alex, what if Theresa doesn’t want him?”
“She loves him.”
“Yeah, you can love someone and not want to be with them. He’s hurt her time and time again. Honestly, think about it. If we do something, what if she gets really pissed off at us? I don’t want my best friend mad at me.”
“Megan, she won’t be. Has she confessed to you that she doesn’t want to be with him?” As she shook her head, he smiled. “Than I have a very full load of confidence that she wants to be with him. For as long as I can remember, she has loved him, has always wanted to be with him. Just because he’s screwed up a time or two, she’s not gonna stop wanting to be with him.”
“I know you’re right. I just, I picture things and the last thing I want is to be at odds with her.” He wrapped his arms around her waist and kissed her lips.
“Don’t worry, baby. I know my sister and I know my best friend. Our plan has to work.” She leaned back against his chest and looked at him in the mirror.
“I trust you.” He kissed the top of her head.
“It’s all I’m asking for. See you there baby.”