- Text Size +
CHAPTER 13
“Lookin nice little man.” Howie glanced in the mirror as Nick and AJ walked through his door.
“I’m nervous.”
“No reason to be. Hey, John, can we speak to D alone?” Howie looked at John but John nodded and left the room.
“What’s up guys? Please, have a seat. I’m glad Theresa didn’t talk you out of coming.”
“Nah, she couldn’t do that. Listen, are you sure you wanna do this?” Howie looked at Nick.
“Man, what are you referring to?”
“Are you sure you wanna marry Leigh?”
“Of course. Why are you questioning that?”
“Thought you had love for another woman is all,” AJ said, watching Howie’s reaction. He closed his eyes and turned around. He walked over to the window and stared outside.
“What do you want?”
“Why are you refusing what you want so badly?”
“Because I’ve spent six years with Leigh. I can’t just toss that away.”
“Or, she won’t let you toss that away?” Nick questioned.
“What does it matter?”
“It matters a lot. But, I want you to think of some things before you say I do this afternoon. First of all, your bride to be is finding it very hard to stay faithful. At her little all girls’ party that Leigh Anne threw her, she had a wild affair with that stripper of hers.”
“Seeing the light of things, I haven’t been faithful either Nick.”
“Which leads me to my point, D. I love Theresa, and I swear, if anyone hurts her, I’m gonna beat the living shit out of him. But, before I go on about that, remember a few years ago when Theresa went and lived with her mother?”
“Of course.”
“Her mother wasn’t sick like she wanted everyone to believe. She was pregnant and actually had a miscarriage. Mind you, she’s had to live with that by herself for all these years. She had to endure that pain on her own.”
“No one told her too. We all would have been there for you.”
“True. Until she told us who the father was. We would have one less member of the Boys. For I would have killed the father.” Howie looked at AJ and than it finally hit him. He, Howie D, was the father. Age would have killed him. Howie ran his hand over his face and sat down before he crumpled to the floor.
“There was no proof that it would have been mine.”
“You’re the only man she has ever slept with!” Howie tired to recall that night, remembered the tightness, remembered the blood and yet he thought nothing of it.
“Oh God.”
“There’s more.” Howie turned tortured eyes to AJ. “It seems that her body must really like yours cause she’s pregnant again. With your child.”
“No way. Not now!”
“You refuse to believe that?”
“She’s a damn whore! Hello, she slept with Nick over there. Damn, she has everyone wrapped around her little finger. I refused to buy her lies anymore. It’s not like I’m the only man she has slept with now!” AJ nodded his head and turned to Nick.
“Let’s go man. I want you to do the math though Howie. She’s exactly three months along. Not four, which would have been the last time Nick touched her.” With that, they both left Howie alone to his thoughts.

“Are you okay? You don’t look good D.”
“I’m not feeling so hot John, but I’ll be okay.” Howie smiled at his brother and turned his attention to the back of the church. I slipped in and took a seat in back pew, and offered him a smile. He glared at me, upset it looked like, but I couldn’t figure out why. After a few more moments, the piano started to play and we all stood up to watch Leigh make her way down the aisle. After a few moments she was clutching Howie’s hand and I watched as she smiled and felt my stomach turn. This was truly the biggest mistake I made, but, he was a friend and I was moving on. I had my bags packed, a note for everyone, and I was moving away, till I could settle my life down. I tuned out the wedding lost in my own thoughts until I heard the preacher call out if there was anyone who had objections. The baby inside moved and I so wanted to jump out of my seat and say I do. But, I wouldn’t dare.
“I can’t do this.” I opened my eyes and stared at Howie. “Excuse me, everyone.” With that he flew down the aisle and into a side room. Everyone watched him go, shocked at what just happened. I quickly left and followed him. I knocked on the door and heard a grumbled ‘leave me alone’.
“It’s me,” I peeked my head around the door and smiled at him. “May I come in?” He rolled his eyes but nodded his head.
“What more could you do to ruin my life?”
“I beggin’ your pardon? What have I done to ruin you’re life?”
“You sent both Nick and AJ in here to explain about you being pregnant and how it would be the smart thing to be with you.” I paled at his words and started to shake.
“They…they told you,” I whispered.
“Oh, stop with the damn act already. You knew they did.” I sat down on the couch.
“I swear, I didn’t want them to tell you. I never wanted you to know.” He turned around and glared at me.
“Why?”
“Cause you loved Leigh. I didn’t want to destroy that. You made your feelings very obvious for me.”
“If you loved me, why didn’t you fight for me?” I glanced up at him, confused.
“Exactly what are you telling me? First your mad at me for having those two dip shits come and tell you something, now your mad at me because I didn’t fight for you?”
“I don’t know what I’m feeling. I just know I’m very confused and the last thing I want is to be around you or around Leigh.”
“That’s great. I was leaving anyway.”
“What?”
“I came to watch all your dreams come true than I was leaving.” I stood up and walked towards the door. “There was never a time I didn’t love you Howard. It might have seemed that’s what had me so upset over your marriage and that was part of it, I won’t lie. The biggest part though, was me thinking you were man enough to go after your dreams, not just stay in a comfort zone.” I walked through the doors, not once turning my head around.