- Text Size +
CHAPTER 14
I watched as the sun set along the horizon, enjoying the wonderful view. I leaned back on my elbows, letting the slight wind cool me down. I closed my eyes, hearing a faint song.

~*~ Anytime, anywhere, anyplace/ You could be anyone today/ Maybe I will recognize you on a crowded street/ Maybe you’ll take me by surprise/ Will you be the one I had in mind / There come a day/ When you walk out of my dreams/ Face to face/ Like I’m imagining/ Baby how can I be sure that you’re the one I’m waiting for/ Will you be/ Unmistakable ~*~

I opened my eyes and glanced around, yet seeing no car that I recognized.
“Probably just some fan in love with that song,” I mumbled to myself. I closed my eyes again, this time hearing it more loudly. ‘What the hell,’ my mind screamed at me.
“May I have this dance?” My eyes popped open, gazing into his brown ones. He offered his hand to help me up and slid his arms around my waist.
“What are you doing?”
“Dancing. I didn’t have a reception, so I get to dance on the beach.”
“Excuse me? No reception?”
“Nope. Wasn’t a point when there was no wedding.” Okay, I was confused. He was talking in riddles and it was not what I wanted to hear.
“Howie, what are you telling me?”
“Take a walk with me?” I sighed but nodded. He held my hand as we walked along the shore, letting the waves crash around our legs.

~*~ People say watch your life through a glass/ Desperately waiting on a chance/ I know you’re out there/ Holding on holding out for me/ How do I know the time is right/ What if you’re here and I’m just blind/ There come a day/ When you walk out of my dreams/ Face to face/ Like I’m imagining/ Baby how can I be sure that you’re the one I’m waiting for/ Will you be/ Unmistakable ~*~
“After you left, Leigh came into the room. She asked me what was wrong and I had no idea where to start. But, you’re words struck home with me. I realized that I was just living in a safe zone. I had no clue why I was there, when I knew you loved me and I knew I loved you. I cause it was just because I didn’t want to hurt the friendship we had. That means the world to me and I would never want to lose it. But looking at her, I couldn’t live the rest of my life with her either. So I told her. Told her I knew everything about her, but that it was time she knew everything about me. That I had slept with you, that you are pregnant now, and that you were the only woman I had really ever loved. She was furious for a time, but she asked me why I asked her to marry me if I knew I was in love with another woman. I didn’t know how to answer than and I don’t know how to answer now. Other than it being a rather stupid thought.” He stopped talking and I turned to look at him. He stopped walking and I walked in front of him. His eyes searched mine and I smiled.
“Stupid thought, huh?”
“Very stupid. I was going to let the most precious thing to me in this world, get away. All because I was scared. But, I don’t want to be that man that lives in that safe zone. I want to go after my dreams. And all my dreams have always centered on you.”

~*~ How can I know a song I never heard/ How will I know your voice when you haven’t said a word/ How do I know how this will end/ Before we began (before we began) ~*~

His arms wrapped around my waist and I wrapped my arms around his neck. I sniffed and tired not to let the tears fall, but he wiped the first one away and I couldn’t hold them back.
“What is this?”
“I love you Howie. Have for so long. I’ve always wanted only you.”
“Hush, its okay. I’m here now and I am not going away.” I gazed into his eyes and smiled as he kissed the tip of my nose.
“You promise?”
“I promise. I love only you, Theresa. I will love only you.” His lips captured mine and my mind floated away. As we pulled away, I laid my head upon his chest, content for the moment. I smiled as I heard him singing along.

~*~ There come a day/ When you walk out of my dreams/ Face to face/ Like I’m imagining/ Baby how can I be sure that you’re the one I’m waiting for/ Will you be (will you be)/ Unmistakable/ Unmistakable ~*~

I leaned up and kissed him one more time. He lifted me up in his arms and spun me around.
“I love you Howie,” I whispered against his lips.
“I knew I loved you. It was unmistakable.”

~*~ Unmistakable by the Backstreet Boys