- Text Size +
CHAPTER 2
“Hello?” I asked, rather breathless.
“Damn. That so does not sound good. Who were you screwing?”
“None of your business D. What can I do for you?”
“I was wondering if I could come over and talk.” I glanced around my messy apartment.
“That would be a no.”
“Why?”
“I have tons of cleaning to do since I just got home. And my breakfast is about to burn.”
“That’s why you need a cordless.”
“That’s why I need you to stop calling me.”
“Fine, won’t call. I’ll be there shortly.” I rolled my eyes as he hung up the phone. I ran back into the kitchen in just enough time to save my meal, which, now had no appeal to me. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. Damn it all to hell, who the hell did he think he was? The love of my life, my mind answered.
“Well screw that,” I muttered out lout. I glanced once more at the eggs, really not wanting to eat. I threw them away and headed into the living room as the doorbell rang. I opened it and saw him standing there. “That was fast.”
“I was in the area.”
“Hmm, funny thing, I thought I said no.”
“Please, you could never say no the D man.” With that he stepped inside, placing a quick peck on my cheek. Oh, how I longed for more. He glanced around the place than back at me, finally taking in my attire. “You were planning on cleaning in your pj’s?” I glanced down than at him and smiled.
“Always. I leave my windows open too so everyone can see me. Have a seat. Want anything to drink?” He grabbed my hand before I headed into the kitchen.
“No, I want you to sit down next to me and talk.” I rolled my eyes as he pulled me over to the couch and forced me to sit down next to him. “Now, I want to discuss me…”
“I don’t! There is nothing to discuss D! Just drop the subject and let it be, for crying out loud!”
“What has got you so worked up about it?”
“Oh, I don’t know, let me count the reasons. Damn, who would always come crying to me that there was another fight? Who wanted to strangle her neck when he found out she was cheating? Who wanted to kill her when she used him? That’s only a couple of questions and the answer is all the same. You did D! You hated her most of the time! So, now, everything is just perfect enough for you to ask her to marry you!”
“Well, no, not quite like that.”
“Than please explain this bull shit to me because I’m really not getting it.”
“It’s not for you to get. It’s not your life.”
“You’re so damn right on that. It’s not my life. The sad part is, you don’t know the answer to it cause you don’t know either. But that’s fine. Just remember, you don’t believe in divorce!”
“I love her!” I crossed my arms over my chest.
“Right, and I’m the tooth fairy! Don’t lie to me, of all people, don’t lie to me! I was there since the start of all this crap!”
“And this is will it where end! I don’t need friends like you in my life. If you can’t be happy for me, than I don’t want you to be there.”
“That’s the best thing I’ve heard you say. And fine, I won’t. I won’t be in your life either. You can count our friendship over!” He stormed out of my house, slamming the door as he left. I laid down on the couch, covered my face and let the tears roll out.

“Are you not going than?”
“Is Leigh and D gonna be there?”
“Sadly yes.”
“Than there is your answer. Remember, he was the one who told me he didn’t want me in his life.”
“It’s my flippin party! Ignore him if it makes you happy. Sides, that was over a week ago. Please come?” I leaned against the wall and rubbed my free hand over my face.
“Fine, fine, I’ll be there in a little bit.”
“You’re the greatest. Love ya chica.” With that, she hung up the phone. I rolled my eyes and dragged my ass upstairs changing into something…a smirk crossed my lips. I knew Howie liked me, or at least, a little bit. And I knew he hated when I looked even a tad sexy. This time, it was an all out war! I walked over to my closet, picked out my leather skirt, my heels and my white, sheer tank top. Two can surely play that game.