- Text Size +
CHAPTER 6
“What do you think that was all about?” Age whispered to Megan. She shrugged her shoulders, watching the retreating couple.
“Ask your friend.” Age threw her a look and all she did was smile.
“D, Theresa didn’t seem happy, wanna explain why?”
“What, you think I did something? Why don’t you ask the person she’s screwing?” Age glanced at Megan who looked just as shocked as he felt.
“What?”
“Oh, you didn’t know? The tramp is screwing another tramp.”
“Woah, back this up. Are you calling my sister a tramp?” D sighed and turned to look at Age. He shook his head, forgetting for just a moment who he was talking to. He was upset, even more so at seeing those two people here.
“I didn’t mean that, I mean, I just…”
“Yes?”
“Yesterday, at Megan’s party, Resa and I sorta got into a fight and when I went over to apologize this morning, I found out she was sleeping with Nick.”
“Okay, and that bothers you why?”
“It doesn’t…I mean, it shouldn’t.”
“You’re right, it shouldn’t. But a blind man can certainly tell it does. Why does it?” D glanced over at Leigh than back at AJ.
“To be honest, man, I don’t know. I just, I really blew up at her and at him.”
“D, you’re my friend, which gives me the right to say whatever the hell I want. You really need to examine your feelings. For Leigh and for Resa. I know you care for her and care about her, anyone can see that. But I think you need to step away from all of this and look from the outside in.” With that, AJ grabbed Megan’s hand and started to lead her away. “Oh, by the way, if you ever dare to call my sister another bad name again, I’m gonna beat your ass your down.” D closed his eyes and let out a sigh and grabbed Leigh’s hand, leading her off in the opposite direction.

Two weeks later, I sat at my desk in my home office. I was responding back to some emails when my phone started to ring. “Hello.”
“Hey sexy.”
“Hey Nick. What’s up?”
“What are you doing?”
“Replying back to some emails. Why, what’s on your mind?”
“Thought you needed a break from everything, thought I would treat you to a vacation.”
“Nick, you don’t have to do that. Remember, I’m nothing…”
“But a friend. I know this. I’m not looking for a relationship. I just think you need to leave. I mean, for crying out loud, everything lately has been about Leigh and D. I know it ain’t easy on you.” I let out a deep breath. He was right, it wasn’t easy. And yes, everything had been Leigh this or Leigh and D that. I was getting royally sick of it., as was a lot of other people.
“What did you have in mind?”
“Laughlin, in two weeks?” I thought it over and had to laugh. It was perfect.
“That’s great! Thanks Nick, you truly are a sweet heart.”
“Well, I tend to try. I’ll call you later with the details!”
“Thanks. Bye.” I hung up and rolled my eyes as my door bell started going off. “Coming,” I hollered. I rushed to get it, surprised to see D there. “What’s up?”
“Can I talk to you?” I shrugged but let him in. “I have felt awful over the things that I said to you about Nick.”
“Okay.”
“It’s not my call who you choose to see or not see or…whatever.”
“I’m not seeing him.”
“Just sleeping with him?”
“If you must know, only twice. Look, he’s the shoulder I needed, the arms of comfort. But, it shouldn’t matter to you.”
“It does matter. I mean, you’re my friend. No matter what happens, or what gets said.”
“That’s great to know. I’m glad I found that kind of favor from you.”
“Why do you always have to play the bitchy role?”
“It’s what I am. Take it or leave it. I haven’t changed in years. You’ve known me for that long.”
“I’m not trying to change you. I mean, I like you this way.” I raised my eyebrow out of sheer disbelief. “There’s another reason I came.”
“I figured. What can I do for you?”
“I want you go to my wedding.”
“No. When are you getting it through your head?”
“Everyone else is going to be there.”
“I’m not everyone else. Why would I go?”
“To support your friend?” I licked my lips and watched as he followed the movement.
“Listen D, I am your friend. And I love you dearly. I just don’t feel she’s the woman for you. I can’t support you when I feel she’s wrong. How could I?”
“You’ll never be there for me?” Slowly, I shook my head. I watched the playing emotions in his eyes. “I thought you would. Thought you were stronger than that. I won’t count you out as a friend. But, as a best friend, I can’t Theresa. If you refuse to be there, to offer your support to your best friend, than I don’t feel you should be called that. The invite will always be there. I just hope…” He trailed over, gave me one last look and walked out the door. I let out a deep breath and could start to feel the tears falling!