- Text Size +
CHAPTER 7
Later that evening, I laid on the couch, reading a book as I heard the front door open. I placed my bookmarker and glanced up to see AJ there. “Hey.”
“Hey girlie.”
“What’s up bro?”
“Heard you leaving town?” I rolled my eyes.
“Damn that boy can not keep his mouth shut!”
“I know, it’s sad. Listen, there’s not more going on there, is there?”
“No, Age. He’s just a friend. He knows how rough it’s been and will be. Just sorta being the shoulder I need.”
“I just don’t want to see him get hurt.”
“There’s nothing going on. Even he knows this. We cleared the air early on.”
“Good, that’s good. I also got another call.”
“Let me guess, from D.”
“Yup. Said he stopped by.”
“He did.”
“He’s really torn up by this Theresa.” I threw my book down on the table.
“Son of a bitch, Alex, what do you guys wants from me? I refuse to stand by his side and say all of this is okay. Damn it, what will it take to make you all understand!”
“He’s your best friend!”
“I can’t help it! He’s making the biggest mistake of his life!”
“Because he doesn’t marry you?” That stopped me up short.
“Why does everyone think this is because of me?”
“You told me it should have been you that night we all got told.”
“I was upset than. This is not from that. Do you honestly believe Leigh is the right woman for him?”
“No, but it’s not my choice. If he honestly loves her, as his friend, I just have to stand by his side. I can’t tell him who to love and who not to love!”
“Well, than you play the good role and support him. I’m just trying to make him see that this will be the biggest mistake of his life.”
“Are you willing to risk losing your friendship over it?”
“I’ve risked a lot more than that.” His eyes narrowed but I shook my head. “Look, Alex, I’m tired. And I have a lot of stuff to get done before I leave.” I sniffed, trying so hard not to cry once more.
“I love you girlie.” He gave me a hug and a kiss on the cheek before he headed out.

“So, are you excited?” I rolled my eyes.
“Totally.”
“Now, you’re not planning on marrying him are you?” I raised my eyebrow at her.
“Are you kidding me? Marry Nick? Eww!” She busted out laughing.
“He’s not that bad!”
“Nah, he isn’t. After all, he has been the sweetheart I needed!”
“So, what are we shopping for?”
“Nick told me to buy a new swim suit and a nice dress.”
“Oh, putting the moves on you.”
“Wait now, we’ve already done that.” She linked her arm through mine and shook her head.
“Is he a good lover?”
“MEGAN! You know I don’t kiss and tell…a lot anyways.”
“Just answer the question.”
“Yeah, he is. He, well, it’s only been a couple times. He’s just been the friend I needed. Not to say that you or Age haven’t been great, cause you have, but ya know what I mean.”
“Totally. I hate to think of me being in the situation you’re in.” I nodded my head, but she really had no idea how hard this was on me! No one knew or understood, well, except for blondie. “What would you do if you ran into Leigh on the street?”
“You mean besides kick her ass?” She laughed, and I joined her. “I don’t know. I mean…” I trailed off as Megan stopped and looked at me. “Megan, why do you ask?”
“Cause she’s right there.” I followed her finger and gasped. Not more than twenty from us was the woman of all my problems. Her head turned and she glanced in our direction. She smirked and made her way over.
“Well, isn’t this nice, ladies.”
“Hey Leigh. What are you doing?”
“Buying some last minute things for the honeymoon and the honeymoon night. You know what I mean?”
“Yes. But why now?”
“The wedding has been bumped up. We’re getting married in three months.” My throat clogged up and I started to shake. She had to be lying. “Is something wrong, Theresa?” She looked way to smug.
“Not at all. Wasn’t aware Howie was so anxious to marry…you,” I stated, making sure she could hear my disdain for her.
“Well, what can you say when you love someone?”
“You say that six years later?”
“D told me he talked to you. Kinda bitchy that his best friend won’t be there. What’s wrong, upset because he choose a real woman, not some damn whore?”
“Oh, you’re wrong. You are a whore. It’s been proven with your rather long list of lovers.”
“Nothing compared to yours. And what is this, another to add?”
“And if I recall, you added another one last week? Please, everyone but D knew what when on at your party.” She reached out and slapped my cheek.
“You bitch!” I raised my eyebrow at her.
“You did not just slap me!”
“I did, what are you gonna do about it?” I reached back and punched her, making sure she had a black eye.
“Lay a hand on me again, next time I won’t be nice about it. And you’re damn lucky I’m not telling D about your little stripper. Wouldn’t he just like to know about all of that?” Her hands clenched and she lunged for me, but Megan stopped her.
“Leigh, stop.”
“Thank you. It’s nice to know I have friends like you Megan, to stop me from making a fool of myself.”
“Oh, I ain’t stopin’ you for that. I don’t need her killin’ you in the middle of the mall. Can’t help her with so many witnesses around.” She glared at the both of us before she turned and left. We both watched her go, both of us charged up and annoyed.
“Thank you Megan.”
“No problem. I don’t really need you killing her.”
“I know.” I sighed and felt her gaze on me. “What?”
“You know she’s gonna tell D about this right? And that she’s gonna paint you in the worst possible light and…”
“And make herself look like a saint, yes I know. But you know what; I’m tired of fighting him. Tired of making him see. For way to long I’ve stood by. If he wants to screw up his life, fine. I’m tired of cleaning up after him though. He’s old enough to know and understand.”
“There’s more that you’re not telling me.”
“Nothing you don’t know.” With that, I picked up my bags and headed off. She watched me go and shook her head, knowing without a doubt something was truly up.