- Text Size +
CHAPTER 8
“What’s wrong with you?” I glanced over at the person sitting next to me and smiled.
“Nothing, why do you ask?”
“Cause you’ve been in a funk since we left.” I grabbed my phone, dialed up my voicemail and put it on speaker phone. Moments later, a voice spoke, one highly pissed off who called me the worst friend and made it very clear that I was not to lay a hand on his soon to be wife again nor was I allowed to attend his wedding, even if I had wanted to. And than a quick slamming of the phone and all was dead. “Was that D?”
“You’re quick.” He glared at me and I couldn’t help but laugh. “I’m sorry. I’m just ticked.”
“With that kind of message, I can see why. D has got to get off of his hot and cold feelings.”
“You know what Nick; I don’t want to think about him this weekend. I don’t want to talk about him or anything concerning him.”
“Can we listen to the new cd?” I busted out laughing.
“Sure, play whatever you want.” He put in the guys latest cd, hit random and I just smiled at his antics. But that quickly faded as the opening lines to Unmistakable came on. I quickly hit forward, changing that song. “Don’t ask.” He held up his hands in surrender.
“But, before we close the whole D thing for the weekend, what happened with Leigh and you?”
“She slapped me, I punched her.”
“That’s how you got the cut on your face.”
“Yup, her engagement ring. She told D the story, as both Megan and I knew, but she painted the picture that I played the bitchy role and she never laid a hand on me.”
“And of course D bought her side.”
“Totally. Wanna hear something even more messed up? Do you know she cheated on D? Not even a week ago.”
“What?”
“The stripper that her friends got her for her party. Yup, Leigh Anne told Megan the whole story. And yet he stays with her and wonders why I can’t stand her. Why no one likes her.”
“AJ said that D tried to get you to go to the wedding. So did AJ.”
“I refuse to go. And it’s not really about me. Sure, I love him, but I’m just tired of seeing him live this life that he think is so perfect with her. Time will fade away and he will see her for what she is. But, than it will be to late, because he will not get a divorce.”
“And you told him all this?”
“Short of telling him about the kid, yeah, I have. He just tells me he loves her! What bull shit.” I shook my head and turned my attention out the window. “Can we close it up now?”
“Done!”

I groaned as I heard my phone ringing. I opened my eyes and peeked at the caller id.
“Who is it sleepy head?”
“Alex. Here, will you answer it?” I handed him the phone, heard a hello, than a sure. He smiled and handed me back the phone.
“He said if he wanted to talk to me, he would have called my cell phone.” I rolled my eyes but took the phone.
“What’s up?”
“Thanks for telling me you’re leaving!”
“You knew I was. I left ya like three voicemails.”
“I know. But, that’s not why I’m calling!”
“I sorta figured as well. What can I do for you?”
“You punched her?” I sighed.
“You’re kidding? You have to be. I know you would not call me up and start accusing me for no damn good reason.”
“D told me the story!”
“No, D told you the story he got told, which is so not the truth. Listen, is Megan there?”
“She had to leave for the day. Why..wait.”
“No, I’m going to tell you this once. When Megan gets in, have her tell you the real story. If you still wanna kill me and bitch me out, be my guest. Until than, you call me anymore and I will dismember you when I get back home. I do not need to be dealing with assholes on my vacation!” With that, I snapped my phone shut and threw it back in my purse. I gazed out the window, seeing a sign that said another 70 miles to Laughlin.
“Are you gonna be okay?”
“I would if God just took away all the men in the world away!”
“Hey, that hurts!”
“Okay, you can stay. But that does not mean you get all the women!”

She walked threw the front door and heard nothing but silence. She looked around, seeing no one. She sat her stuff down on the couch, and switched on the lamp. “Babe?”
“You’re home.” She turned to the study and saw him sitting in there, lights turned off.
“What are you doing in here?”
“Thinking.” She walked over to the chair and sat down on his lap.
“This is not a good sign. What’s gong on, Alex?”
“I talked to Theresa today.”
“About what?”
“Well, I sorta started on about her and Leigh”
“Don’t tell me you accused her without talking to me.” He shrugged and she sighed. “Was she pissed?”
“She told me if I called her before you got home and talked to me, she would dismember me when she got home. Than said she did not need to be dealing with assholes this weekend.”
“Yeah, she doesn’t.”
“Are you calling me one too?”
“To be honest, yes, I am. Age, how could you tell her anything without hearing our side?”
“Cause it was from D…”
“Who heard from Leigh. How right do you think that’s going to be?”
“True enough. So what happened?” Megan sighed and told him the whole story. “She slapped Resa first?”
“That’s what I said.”
“She hit MY SISTER?”
“Age, chill. Yes, she did.”
“Okay, than she cheated on D?”
“My gosh, do I have to repeat the whole story again?”
“I’m sorry. I just don’t believe this. This is not what D said at all. When he called me up, he told me that she walked up to Leigh, accused her of being a whore and of lying. He claimed that Resa just abused her with her words. Than because Leigh tried to say something, Resa punched her!”
“Damn, she sure can weave a tale! But that doesn’t explain what you were thinking about.”
“I was thinking I didn’t want to attend D’s wedding either. Resa was right when she said that we need to stand up. She won’t make him happy and the marriage will end in no time. I don’t want to see my best friend hurting years down the road.”
“You know that’s gonna hurt him?”
“I won’t tell him yet.”
“Are you gonna go over and see him?”
“He went out of town with Leigh. They’re…”
“Baby, what’s wrong. You just lost all your color.”
“D and Leigh are in Laughlin.”
“You’re fuckin’ kidding!”