- Text Size +
CHAPTER 9
“So, where are we staying?”
“I booked us a wonderful suite at the Colorado Belle. We have a balcony and a riverside view.”
“Oh my gosh, we’re not gonna be in there but a few hours!” I laughed at him. Sometimes, he was too much. I picked up my phone, not even glancing at the id. “Hello.”
“Sis.”
“Hey bro. What’s up?”
“I want to say I’m sorry.”
“For?”
“Why do you make my life hard?”
“Eh, that’s what little sisters are there for. So, you’re sorry for what?”
“For not asking you first. When Megan told me, I wanted to hit Leigh too. Than to know that she cheated on D.”
“Listen, Age, don’t tell him. Or, rather, don’t tell him about the cheating.”
“He needs to know.”
“He has known and yet he still wants to marry her. Don’t try fighting him anymore.”
“Okay, if you wish. Listen, I just went and put some extra cash in your bank account, so gamble away. But play some for me and Megan, kay?”
“You know I’m gonna! It’s good to have connections. That’s what I play on.” He laughed and I smiled.
“There’s just one more thing.”
“What’s up bro?”
“Be careful please?” I frowned and Nick glanced at me.
“Always Alex. Where’s that coming from?” Alex turned to see Megan shaking her head.
“Just, I love you. I want to see you come home, is that okay?”
“Totally. Don’t worry though. Nicky is here to protect him.” He snorted at that.
“Nick can’t protect himself.”
“Well, we’re here. I’ll call you when I get back into town. Love ya bro!”
“Love you too.” I snapped my phone shut and jumped for the joy as I saw the lights. I leaned over the console and gave Nick a kiss on the cheek.
“If I haven’t said anything yet, or I don’t say anything after, thank you!”
“Give me a real one of those later and we’ll call it even!” I rolled my eyes but got all the more excited as we pulled up to the hotel.

“Look, Alex, I trust Leigh. If she said that Theresa hit her first, I’m gonna buy that. Look, I’m glad you’re concerned, but please, pay more attention to your sister than to me. She’s the one wanting to be a bitch.” Howie rolled his eyes. “I’m sorry. I know she’s your sister. Yes, yes…she’s what? You’re kidding!” He stopped taking as he glanced up. “Let me call you back man.” He snapped the phone shut and walked over. “Hey.”
“Hi.” I tired to smile, but couldn’t. Well, Friday night passed way too quickly and here it was, Saturday evening and I had to bump into him! Why? Just one more night of not thinking of him or anything!
“That’s a nasty cut on your cheek.”
“Diamonds hurt.”
“Are you alone or...hey Nick.”
“Hey D. Didn’t know you where coming.”
“Needed to get away. Um, I need to talk to Resa alone. Do you mind?”
“Not at all. I’m heading back to the room to change. See ya there.” Nick placed a quick kiss upon my cheek and I stared after him. No, Lord, please take all the men! How dare Nick leave me alone with D!
“Um, I just got off the phone with AJ. He, um, told me a slightly different story than the one Leigh told me…”
“Just stop. I don’t care D.”
“How can you say you don’t care? I don’t get you! You claim to be such a dear friend yet something like this happens and I just…”
“D, no matter who says what, or does what, you’re gonna believe that one person! I can’t change you’re mind, no one has. Why should I waste my breath on explaining something when you’re mind is already set? Please, tell me!”
“It’s not already set…it’s just…”
“Howie, you want to know what happened? She slapped me. I punched her. I got a cut on my cheek from her ring and she got a black eye. Why did this all come about? Because she called me a whore. The very condensed version.”
“I want to believe you, but I doubt Leigh would just slap you for no reason.”
“You’re right. I called her a whore back.”
“She’s not a whore!”
“OH MY GOD! That is it. I’m sick of it. Believe that you’re little angel can do no damn wrong. Praise her; raise her up on that pedestal that you have not takin’ her off of. Believe her over the closest people to you. The people who love you very dearly and want nothing more than your damn happiness! Take your angel though, and get the hell out of my life! I refuse to go on fighting over this; I refuse to stand up to you. Take whatever the hell life gives you from here on out. Don’t give a shit about me and don’t look back!” With that, I turned on my heel and walked back to my room.