- Text Size +
the busy street with his hands tucked into his coat pockets. He looked over to his side and his lips curled into a desolate smile and he mumbled “This is just great! What a fucking day…Allison!”

Allison grinned back at him and nodded striding right next to him “Oh please, the day has barely started Nickolas Gene Carter…stop your whining and go get coffee.” She demanded with a smile and trailed behind him into the coffee shop.

“Hey Mr. Carter…look like it might rain!” The older man behind the counter gave Nick a warm smile, and he forced himself to smile back at the familiar man.

“Yeah looks like it just might Mr. Owen. Um…two…” he paused for a moment and looked over his shoulder.

She let out a groan, “Jesus, just order the usual…you‘ll be late!”

The older man smiled once again “The usual, two regular coffees…” he spoke up for Nick and walked away to fill the foam cups with the hot liquid.

Meanwhile Nick picked up two stirrers and a couple of packets of sugar, when he turned around Mr. Owen, handed him the two cups. “Thanks…see you tomorrow morning Mr. Owen.” The older man gave him a nod.

Allison just smiled and once again followed Nick out into the heavily cloud covered day.

They walked a bit in silence, and he came to a halt in front of a lonely bus stop. He plopped down and stretched out his hand with the coffee cup towards Allison. After a couple of seconds he threw it in the wastebasket. “You never drank it. I don’t know why I keep buying two??” he groaned.

Allison stared at the wastebasket where Nick had dumped the coffee cup. “I did too…” she let out a sigh and sat next to a gloomy Nick. He stared out into the distance. She placed a hand on his knee and he turned to meet her eyes. “I miss looking, into your eyes Nick” she whispered.

“I miss you…” he looked away, and took a sip of his coffee “I can’t believe that you left me, and worse without…” he looked down at the ground, the knot in his throat, made it hard to speak.

She squeezed his leg “I’m sorry Nick…I really am. It wasn’t my intention to...”

“You broke my heart! It’s been about a month and it feels like days. All your things are still in the house, and there are pictures everywhere…how am I supposed to forget you.” he took another angry sip of coffee and stood up as he saw the bus coming.

Allison followed his movements once again “You broke mine first…but, I don't want you to forget me Nick. You know we can never be together again."

The bus came to a halt with a loud swooshing sound, while the rain decided to make its appearance. Allison took Nick’s hand and they covered their heads as they hopped onto the bus. Nick filled the machine with coins and headed towards the back, Allison right behind him.

He sat all the way in the back next to the window; he turned to look at the seat next to him. “I just can’t stop thinking about it.”

“I wish you would…it’s been a while now. You have to move on Nick. She loves you and she really needs you. It's not fair to her if you're always looking like this.”

"I know it's not fair to her...but..." He shook his head sluggishly, "I'm lost without you. I wish I could take it all back. I wish I wouldn’t have pushed you away. If I would have been faithful you would still be with me.” He leaned his forehead against the cold window glass.

Allison sighed, she wanted to make things right even though she knew, it wasn’t in her hands to do so. “I already told you to stop beating yourself up about it.”


“I CAN’T!!” He looked around and there were a couple of people looking at him like he was crazy. But he was almost used to it. He received that kind of look, at least, once a day. “I try Allison. I really do…I just can’t." A bitter chuckle escaped his lips, "I always remember our long walks on the beach. Dancing with you under the moonlight..." he laughed a little harder "Or how about that time we were painting the house and we spilled the paint all over our brand new carpet...you were livid."

"Of course I was, you were in a fit of laughter and I loved my carpet. It’s still not funny to me..." even though the incident wasn't funny to her, she couldn't help but giggle at the smile on Nick's face.

The smile faded quickly and he busied himself by watching the rain beat against the window. "I try to be loving and good to her, to give her almost everything she wants..." he sighed heavily, running a hand through his blonde hair. ”We try to do things together, but I end up thinking about you...so, I get frustrated and upset...and things end up in yelling and crying. She told me I sucked the other day."

Allison rolled her eyes and smirked, "It's not your fault and definitely not hers. Sara needs you Nick. You have to move on. Please tell me you'll move on?" She began to put her arm around his shoulder, just as the bus jolted to a stop. She stood up and so did he.

Allison exited first and he followed, quickly sticking his hands back into his coat pockets. The rain began to fall harder, slowly soaking them, but they continued to walk down the street like nothing. "I'm sorry...I want you to know, that I'm sorry. I never meant to hurt you...I think that's what haunts me the most, that I hurt you."

He turned to look at her and she couldn't help, but to take a swim into his sorrow filled blue eyes. She linked her arm to his, "It's over now Nick. I forgive you..."

"I just want you to come back!" He choked, "Please...come...back..." he covered his face and swiftly made way into an alleyway. Leaning against the wall, he gave way to the flood of tears in his eyes. "I need you to come back." He’d promised himself that he wouldn't let his emotions get the best of him anymore. Although, he knew the more he thought of her...the easier it was to break down.

It broke her heart to see him in so much pain, so she wrapped her arms around him. And gently ran her fingers through his hair, like she used to. "I'll always love you Nick, but we both know that we will never be together again...it doesn't work that way."

Nick looked up a little startled. He’d felt a sudden rush inside of him and a tingling sensation lingered on his body. He took a couple of deep breaths to compose himself. Then wiped his face and they started down the crowded street. With a glance of his watch, he realized that he would be late. So he began walking at a fast pace and swerving past people.

"Sheesh Nick, you don't have to run" Allison tried keeping up with him.

He looked at his watch "Shit, I'm running late." Quickly they made way across the street and past the fences. Nick let out a sigh of relief when he saw that the gate was barely being pushed open.  "Ok, maybe not exactly late." He looked over to his side again.

"Yet, you had me flying down the street..." She giggled.

Slowly she linked her hand into his and gave it a squeeze; he looked down at his hand feeling the familiar tingling sensation. He looked up at the gloomy sky and felt the drizzle fall upon his face. Nick let out a deep sigh and whispered "I hope you know I'll always love you...Allison."

She smiled widely leaning into ear, her voice drifted out like a slow breeze. "I'll always love you Nick...I'll always love you both...always."

Turning to his right, he was tempted to ask the woman next to him if she had said something, but he couldn't think of a reason why a stranger would say, what he heard. A wide smile formed on his lips as his eyes met with the familiar hazel eyes. "Daddy..." the little girl ran to his arms and he scooped her up and propped her onto his left side.


"Hey there Sara...how was your day?" he smiled at his five year old; who looked just like her mother. She looked past Nick and was in a waving and smiling frenzy. He curiously turned to look at who she was waving at, but there wasn't anyone in sight. "What are you doing?"

She grinned widely, "Mommy says she loves us, and that she wants us to be happy. That you can‘t be sad anymore…"

Nick’s eyes grew wide. "What?" He looked into the crowd of people, hoping he could see her too.

"Daddy!"

"Huh!" he muttered, his eyes were still scanning the whole school yard, deep down he knew there was no way Allison could be there. He’d lost her almost a month ago, when she’d been robbed at gun point and unnecessarily shot point blank just around the corner from their home. She’d gone out to cool down from Nick’s confession, with regards to him cheating and never came back.

"Daddy…mommy also says that you should get some gloves, cause your hands are cold."

Nick was speechless as he stared at his hand, which was still tingling all over. He smiled at Sara, "I thought I heard her voice. Come on..." he put her down and they linked hands. "So how was school today?" he asked, as she started talking a mile a minute.