- Text Size +
Chapter 10
“Yes, um, may I please speak with Dr. Lancaster. Yes, it’s Terri Dorough calling. Yes, I’ll hold, thank you.” Terri waited for a few more seconds before the doctor came on.
“Yes, Mrs. Dorough?”
“Um, I was reading over the list of medicines I’m gonna take, and there’s one I can’t have. I’m not sure what it is called, but it’s the one that will put me to sleep.”
“Oh, wow, that’s a major unforeseen problem.”
“How so?”
“If you can’t take that, than I can’t do the surgery. For what I’m doing, it’s the only one I can use. It’s the one thing I can’t change either.”
“I’m almost wondering if Theresa is just not meant to have kids.”
“I have no other ideas of how she can have a child. Terri, do you want to tell her, or shall I?”
“I’m positive you’re a great doctor, but I’m one of her best friends. Let me tell her, it might be a little easier to hear.”

“You seem distant, wanna talk?” I glanced up from my book and smiled at Brian.
“Nah, I’m fine, really.” Brian pulled the other chair out and sat down in it. He grabbed my hand and pulled it to his lips.
“Theresa, we used to be able to talk about whatever problems we had.”
“What makes you think I have a problem?” I asked, very gently pulling my hand away. He sighed and ran his fingers through his hair.
“We both know we’re just carefully stepping along this path, trying not to hurt each other’s feelings.” I sat my book down and glanced outside the window. The sun was shinning brightly and it was reflecting off the pool.
“Yes, I’m aware of that.”
“Damn it, talk to me than.”
“Talk to you? To you? To the one man who’s supposed to have my heart, my love, but won’t settle for it anymore? To the one man who wants his best friend’s wife? To the man who blew up at me for not being able to have kids and I’m trying to figure out anyway I can to get them and he’s still not happy? Is that the man you want me to talk to?” With that, I jumped out of the chair and ran into our bedroom. I laid down on the bed, letting the tears run down my face. I heard the door open a few seconds later and felt the bed shift.
“I can’t explain what’s going on, cause I’m not certain. I know I love you Theresa, but…”
“But you’re not sure if you want me anymore, right?”
“No, that’s not true. You still…”
“Brian, whatever you’re about to say, make sure it’s not a lie.” He sighed again. Proof enough to me that whatever he was gonna say would be a lie.
“You’re still attractive, don’t doubt that.” That made me rise up off the bed faster than if it was on fire.
“You have got to be the biggest bastard around, do you know that? You tell me that when you want another woman? I’m you’re wife Brian, not her! I’m supposed to be the one you want, the one you crave, the one you lust after, NOT HER!” I took a steadying breath and shook my head. “I think we need time apart.” His head quickly snapped in my direction.
“What did you just say?”
“Time apart, ya know? You move out, I move out? Something, anything.”
“Theresa, I love you. Moving away from you will not change that.”
“Brian, can you prove it still?” His lips crushed mine and his arms held me so tightly against his body. Okay, so his kisses were awesome, but deep down, we both felt that this was so not right anymore. He pulled away, gazed into my eyes and I’m the one who shook my head. “Stay here, I’ll stay at a hotel for a few days till I figure out where I can stay.” I pressed my lips against his softly and walked out of the room.