- Text Size +
Chapter 12
“Theresa?” I turned and smiled at Howie as I pulled the CD out of its case and put into the player.
“What’s up Howie?”
“You know something?” I sighed and put the CD on, noticing that the DVD was left on. I went to eject the DVD and turn it off. I gasped and Howie ran over. “What’s wrong?” I gently lifted out the DVD and handed it to Howie.
“That was our wedding. He was watching it.” I sat down on the couch and Howie sat down next to me.
“Wanna shed some light?”
“About tonight? I have no clue. But, I can tell you the last time he did cook, was almost five years ago. And he said he something important to discuss than too. That was night he proposed and that’s the only night he’s cooked. So, I can tell you that whatever tonight is about, it’s really important.”
“A divorce?”
“No, Brian wouldn’t do this, not with the two of you. ‘Sides, when I came in, all he’s used has been pet names. If it was a divorce he wanted, he would be calling me Theresa.”
“Any clue at all, ya know, might be helpful.” I glanced at Howie and had to laugh. Poor guy was so in the dark.
“Howie, in all honestly, I know about as much as you do right now. But, I say, whatever is going on, whatever happens, I’m at your side and you’re at my side, right?”
“You know it. You’re amongst my best friends.” I leaned over and gave him a quick hug.
“Great. Now, I know that smell, dinner is ready.” He offered me his hand as he jumped off the couch and I smiled. Sure, after all of this, at least I still had one really close friend. I suppose I really couldn’t ask for much more than that. I sighed at that thought. Sure I could, how about a happy marriage?

*************************************
I glanced around the table, noticing that conversation was nothing but small talk. It was tense, and I had to sigh. This was not how I wanted it to go, but I supposed, I really hadn’t hoped for much. I mean, obviously, this was rough on all parties involved. I caught Terri’s eye and she raised her eyebrow in silent question. I shifted slightly in my seat and nodded my head, which caught Theresa’s gaze. She set her fork down, took a sip of wine, wiped her mouth, and finally, spoke.
“There’s something very obvious that you two wanted to talk about. It’s plain to both Howie and I. How about we cut the bull and just spill about what you all wanted to discuss?” I cringed inside. Damn, she wasn’t happy, and I know that she wouldn’t be any happier after the start of the topic, but I could only pray that after the shock, she would understand the reasoning. Terri grabbed her glass of wine and took a deep drink, liquid courage indeed. Theresa folded her hands underneath her chin and glanced from Terri to myself. “I’m waiting, not to patiently though.”
“Well, I went over the list, like your doctor told me, Theresa.”
“I’m glad. Please, do go on.”
“Theresa, this is difficult.” Theresa quickly shot darts in my direction and I removed my hand from her arm. Oh, if looks could only kill.
“There was one medication she wanted to give that I couldn’t take. It’s the one and only thing she can not swap out.”
“Are you saying the operation will be a no go?” Howie asked. I glanced at him and than glanced at Theresa.
“Yes, that’s what I’m saying. But, there is another solution, probably the last one that anyone can come up with.”
“I’m thinking the point might just be mute right now, Terri.” My eyes flew to hers and I saw her fighting to keep back the tears. I shook my head at Terri not to go on for I knew that her next words could just be the death of my marriage, but Terri never once glanced in my direction.
“It’s obvious to everyone, even to those outside of this group right now, that Brian and I are, well, attracted to one another. I won’t lie to either of you that we’ve kissed a couple of times, and rather enjoyed it.”
“And all of us are adults and know that attraction and lust can be permanently bad to any relationship if it’s not settled.”
“What are you saying, Bri?” I glanced at Terri, and shot a quick look at Resa, praying the words would come out right.
“The only way Terri can get pregnant by me, is for me to sleep with her, so we’re suggesting that you two let us have one night together.” Theresa jumped out of her chair, glaring at me and than at Terri before she ran out of the room.