- Text Size +
Chapter 22
I walked into the house, the silence hitting me full on. I closed my eyes, seeking strength I wasn’t sure I really had. I set my purse down on the table as I made my way into the living room then into the kitchen, still seeing no Brian. His car was still in the driveway, so it’s not like he was gone.
“Bri, honey, you here?”
“Upstairs.” I walked upstairs and into our bedroom, seeing him sitting on the corner of the bed.
“What’s wrong?” He held his hand out, beckoning me to come over. I paused for a few seconds, before I walked over and placed my hand in his. He pulled me down on his lap and wrapped his arm around my waist. “Brian, what’s wrong?”
“Where did we go wrong?”
“I’m not sure what you mean? I’m still here.” His head lifted up, his eyes locking with mine.
“Do you still love me?”
“Yes.”
“Even after all the stupid shit I just put you through?” Deep down, I hated him, hated the way he treated me, but damn it, my heart was just not letting go.
“Yes, even after all that.”
“Do you want to make this marriage work?”
“Brian, I need to know what’s going on. The last time you kinda asked these same questions, I really didn’t like the outcome.”
“I promise, no more. It won’t happen again.”
“What do you mean, it won’t happen again?”
“I love you Theresa. You, you are my life. When you went with Howie, I was beyond pissed. I wanted to hunt you both down and hurt you. Than I realized, I had no to blame. But, I just couldn’t stomach losing you, especially to one of my best friends. So, I tried to sleep. Actually, I guess I did. And I had a horrible dream. Because of what I did, I lost my friends, lost my job, but more importantly, I lost you. And I knew that if I didn’t have you in my life, nothing mattered. I saw the bleakness that my life would be if you left. And I can’t deal with that. I don’t want to deal with that. I refuse to deal with that.”
“So, what exactly are you saying?”
“I’m saying that if you still love me, and if you still want to make this marriage work, than I do too.”
“So, than I guess I really shouldn’t ask if you want a divorce huh?”
“No divorce.”
“Because you don’t believe in it?” I asked, my lips lifting up into a smile. Hell, I loved to tease this man. He grinned, before he lifted me up and threw me back on the bed.
“Because I love this she devil before me and I don’t want to let her go. Ever.” With that, his hands massaged up my arms, capturing one wrist and tying it to the headboard, than the other.
“Excuse me! What did I do to deserve being tied up in your bed, mister?”
“You cast a spell on me! Besides, I just told you, I’m not letting you go!”