- Text Size +
Chapter 24
“You’re awfully quite over there.” I released my nail from my teeth and glanced up at AJ.
“What?”
“What’s on your mind?”
“Nothing, Age, why would you ask that?”
“Nothing, huh? Does that nothing have something to do with Bri and Terri?” My head quickly snapped up again.
“What do you mean?” AJ rolled his eyes.
“Girl, we’re not fools.”
“I’m not saying you are.”
“You’re trying to pretend we are. Look, Jewel has her special moments, but she does talk to Terri and you. She knows there were some major problems between you and Brian and she sorta guessed what was going on with Bri and Terri there.” I sighed. The rest of the guys were my brothers, just like they were to Bri. And I guess part of my didn’t want to tell them anything because they were going to take sides, and I just couldn’t stand that. Hell, Kevin, his own cousin, had no clue, unless someone told him.
“I love Brian, AJ.”
“Yes, and he loves you. There was never any doubt of that.” I leaned back in the chair and folded my arms, trying to comfort myself.
“There was a doubt. I can’t have kids. Which you know. Terri offered her help, it just sorta went beyond what all we thought.”
“They slept together?”
“Yeah.” AJ’s grin left his face. He was only joking.
“You’re serious?” I nodded, grinning at the look on his face.
“You and D said okay?”
“Believe me, I didn’t want to. But I want my husband, I want my marriage. If that means giving him what he wanted then, to protect us in the future, I was willing. D thought the same way.”
“I can’t believe that.”
“It wasn’t easy. Still isn’t. Which leads me to my thoughts here, now. A couple days ago, it was an amazing after noon. I’ve never felt closer to my husband. He loved me in ways I never thought was possible.”
“So, why aren’t you there?”
“I needed to think. We’ve both been busy, so we haven’t seen each other much, but today was a free day for me and I needed to think. I’m still really worried.”
“Theresa,” he knelled down in front of me and grabbed both of my hands in his, “listen to me very carefully. Brian has known Terri before he knew you. He had the chance to marry her, you know this. She wasn’t dating anyone, but than you came along, and you turned Brian’s world upside down. I remember the first part of your guy’s relationship. I hated it, it was so sick and romantic, I just couldn’t believe YOU could be that way.” I chuckled, having to agree with him. “But, after a while, we all knew he found true love, and that the only woman he was supposed to be with, was you.”
“Things change.”
“Time changes, Theresa. Feelings don’t. Brian may have an infatuation of sorts for Terri, but that’s all it is. I know he would die if he lost you.”
“I’ve heard him say that a time or two.”
“It’s true. Do you still love him?”
“Isn’t it obvious, after all the crap I put up with?”
“Did you cheat on him?” I glanced into AJ’s eyes. This was the one question I wanted Brian and Terri to ask, yet still neither one of them did. I thought they were too scared, too worried, about the answer. Yet, neither had the balls to say it.
“And if I did?”
“Than you don’t love him like you say you did. Did you cheat on him?” I turned as the door to AJ’s house opened and Howie walked in. Alex glanced from D to me and smiled. “Never mind, I got my answer. Go home, Resa, tell your husband that you love him, huh?” I bite my lip, knowing that AJ was right. I loved him, always had, always will, and I was determined to make this work. If that means we move far away from my friends, so be it. That means we took a long, long vacation away from everyone, I was okay with that. If that means we had to adopt, fine! But one way or another, I was stealing my husband back!