- Text Size +
Chapter 25
**********************
I sat back on the couch, my mind running over the last few days and everything that happened. Terri was a drug, there was certainly no denying that. But, that was a drug I needed to over come, and quickly. I picked up the phone, debating if I really should do what I was thinking. But, no, I needed to do it; we needed to clear this up. I quickly dialed her number, my heart racing as she answered.
“What do you want, Bri?”
“We need to talk.” I heard her sigh and really wondered if she would come over.
“Give me a few minutes, and I’ll be right over.” With that, she hung up, leaving me alone with my thoughts once again.

15 minutes later, I opened the door and ushered her in.
“Look, I’m not sure it’s wise for me to be here.”
“I know. And I thank you for coming.”
“You said you needed to talk.” I glanced at her and felt my mind go blank. No, this just couldn’t be happening! “What are you thinking?”
“I’m thinking about a lot of things, that I shouldn’t. I’m thinking about that night.”
“I better go.” She turned to leave but I quickly grabbed her upper arm.
“There’s something between us and you can’t deny that Terri.”
“There can’t be! You have your wife and I have my husband.”
“That didn’t stop us before.”
“Well, it does now.”
“Don’t you want to be happy with Howie? What if this feeling that’s there now never goes away? How are we gonna be around each other feeling this way?”
“We can’t feel this way! That’s what I’m trying to say Brian.”
“You’d rather there always be tension there? That’s not going to go over very well.”
“I’d rather there be nothing there, actually.”
“Than kiss me.”
“Are you crazy? Let me go Brian.”
“You want to know if there is something there.” My finger ran down her cheek and over those lips while my eyes stared into hers. “I don’t regret that night.”
“Brian, you’re married to my best friend. That’s who you chose to marry. That’s who you should be longing for. That’s who you should be with.”
“You don’t want to kiss me?” Her eyes left my gaze and dropped to my lips. God help her, she knew she shouldn’t but she really couldn’t stop that longing. Howie was one of the best husbands, so she couldn’t figure out why she was drawn to this man. “Is that your answer?”
“Bri…” Her voice trailed off as my lips brushed hers. “Please…”
“That doesn’t sound like much of a protest.”
“I’m not sure it was,” she whispered, her lips seeking mine out. She moaned, and a shiver raced through my body. My arms wrapped around her waist and pulled her tightly against my body. I felt her hands run up my chest; over my shoulders and felt her fingers entangle themselves in my hair. Damn, she felt so good! And in the back of my mind, I heard that tiny voice saying to stop, that going down this road was no longer an option. That if I went on kissing, touching, feeling, and wanting Terri, I was going to lose everything I’ve worked so hard to achieve. I think we both heard the sound of the car and than the sound of the door opening before we pulled away. I stared into those icy eyes and was at a loss for words. Than I glanced behind him and felt my life crumple. Her eyes were on fie, and if she could strike out, I would have been the first to be slain.