- Text Size +
Chapter 27
I stared out the window, watching as the storm clouds rolled in. In the distance, I could hear the rumble of the thunder and sighed. On most occasions, I could say I loved the rain, love the smell, the feel, just everything about it. But after a week, it just really matched my mood. Brian stopped calling, stopped sending text messages, for he was getting no response. I take that back, I sent him a text back, saying he had to meet with the lawyer to draw up the paperwork. Yup, I filled for divorce. And now, I was dying inside because of it. I pulled my legs up to my chest and wrapped my arms around them. How did this happen? For the life of me, I still couldn’t figure it out. Hell, I wasn’t sure I wanted to. I hadn’t spoken to Howie, didn’t really know what was going on with him. I heard, from AJ, that Terri was staying elsewhere, but wasn’t sure if they were filing. Although, if D stayed, he was a fool.
“How you doin’?” I turned my eyes to AJ and smiled.
“Great. Thanks again for letting me crash here Age.”
“Will you stop saying thank you? Damn, it’s been a week already. And don’t lie! You’re not great.”
“I am, really.”
“Right. I just talked to D.” I shrugged, pretending I didn’t really care, but who was I kidding? AJ knew me a lot better than that. I did care, and not because he was a guy or anything like that. I cared because he was one of my best friends and I really hated the fact that he was hurting just as much as me. “Don’t give me that bull shit,” AJ said, sitting down next to me. I glanced over at him and he wrapped his arm around my shoulder.
“What’s going on with D?”
“You’re not going to like it.”
“I hate when things start off with that.”

“I’m sorry.” He took a sip of his coffee before turning his attention to her blue eyes. She gazed at him, meaning those words.
“Me too.”
“Howie, you have nothing to be sorry for.”
“I do, Terri. I should have fought for you.” She leaned over and squeezed his hand that was resting on the table.
“I’m not sure where we went wrong.”
“I’m not sure either, D.” He sighed, his fingers lacing through hers. His eyes searched her face, wanting, wishing, hoping, praying that he would find some sign that she wanted to fight, that she wanted to work through his. He loved her, there was no denying that. And he could call himself all kinds of names for wanting her back, but he couldn’t deny his heart anymore. “There’s no going back and undoing what’s been done.”
“I know I’m a fool, but we can start again, we can…” She placed her finger on his lips and slowly shook her head.
“I love you Howie, but not the way I’m supposed to. And I think I started feeling that way long before Brian came into the picture. He was just the push I needed to really see that.”
“But…” He trailed off. He didn’t want her love out of pity and he wouldn’t push her.
“I’m not pregnant.”
“What?”
“I’m not pregnant.”
“You two did all of that, and you’re not?”
“No.”
“Have you told Brian or Resa?”
“I haven’t spoken to either one of them.” Inside, she cringed, for that wasn’t quite true.
“To my knowledge…”
“I was on a pill. I…it was wrong, but I wouldn’t have gotten pregnant anyways.”
“You did…I can’t believe you would do that! To your friends?”
“Brian knew. He’s the one that suggested it.”
“What?”
“I’m sorry, Howie.” She closed her eyes, knowing that in his mind, he had to be calling her all kinds of names, and she deserved every one of them. “I better go. Take care of yourself. And of Resa, she’s going to need you.” She grabbed her purse, smiled at him one last time and left, no backwards glance, no quick wave. She just left, just up and walked away.

“He drew up the papers and is mailing them to her mom’s house.”
“What?”
“Yup. Terri’s not pregnant.” I couldn’t stop it, no matter how hard I tired, the laugh just burst from me. Which, AJ gave me the strangest look.
“I’m sorry. I know it’s odd for you, believe me, I know. We, Brian and I, were hoping for that fact. She needed to be pregnant, and than to find out she wasn’t. It’s just so funny. We destroyed our marriages for nothing.”
“There’s more.”
“What do you mean there’s more? What could be said?” He opened his mouth, but quickly shut it as his door bell started to ring.
“Hold on.” I nodded my head, my head turning to watch the impending storm once more. “Yeah, she’s in here.” I turned slightly, frowning as Brian walked into the room!