- Text Size +
Chapter 3
“I just don’t know Terri. This whole business seems odd.” Terri sighed as she listened to her friend, Alex’s girlfriend. Jewel had been a rather nice girl to get along with, but a lot of the time, she was stubborn and hard headed. Which made for some frustrating moments, such as this one.
“Jewel, it’s not like you’re the one going to do it.”
“I know, but if that was Alex and myself, I wouldn’t dream of taking another woman’s child.”
“Honestly, Jewel, how old are you? Sometimes I wonder if you happen to have any brain cells.” Jewel huffed at that and Terri felt bad. It wasn’t Jewel’s fault that she was raised as precious as could be. She wasn’t snobbish, far from it; she was just…different. “I’m sorry.”
“Forgiven. Have you talked to Theresa or just to Brian?”
“I talked to Theresa earlier today. She had come up with the idea right before Brian talked to the doctor. They said they wanted to choose a mother, but I have no clue that they have in mind. Nor who they could possibly be thinking off.”
“You don’t think that they might come to one of us, do you?” Terri raised her eyes upward and said a silent prayer that she would live through this conversation and not says something rude again.
“Jewel, we’re the closest friends they have. I would bet a hundred dollars that they come to one of us.”
“There’s no way I would do that.”
“Why not?”
“Because I wouldn’t give my baby away just like that!” Terri heaved another lung full of air out.
“Do you understand the process of being a surrogate mother, Jewel?”
“Yes, you house the baby for the nine months and then you give it away.”
“Good. Now, do you know that it’s her eggs and his sperm? Nothing of this child would be yours.” Jewel sighed, but you could still hear the disgust in her voice. “Hey, I hate to rude, but I have to go. Howie just got home and we’re supposed to go out tonight, okay?”
“Yeah, have fun missy. Talk to you later.”
“Yeah, you too.” Terri hung up the phone and turned her attention to her husband. “How was your day?”
“Not to bad. Nick kicked my butt again, but that’s nothing new.” Terri laughed as she sat down next to her husband.
“I talked to Theresa today. And to Brian.”
“Yeah, Brian called Nick and we both talked to him. Do you like the idea?” Terri pulled her bottom lip between her teeth and thought for a moment.
“Actually, I want to help. I wouldn’t mind being the surrogate mother.” Howie looked at her, frowning at that.
“Why do that?”
“Because I feel bad for them. And sides, Theresa has been my friend for so long. And you know that they have always been there for us, doing whatever they can to help. Hell, they’re the ones who watch our kids and how hard do you think it’s been on them?” Howie sighed, but did decide that his wife was right. Howie, once again glanced at her, and love was shinning in his eyes.
“Terri, you’re a wonderful woman. And I’m sure lucky to have found you.” Terri basked in that praise. She loved him too, beyond doubt and beyond question.

I flipped through the magazine, frustrated once more. More then frustrated this time. Dr. Lancaster said she needed to talk to Brian and me yet Brian knew exactly what was going on. He just refused to tell me what was going on. I flopped the magazine back on the table and tapped my shoe on the floor. Brian turned and glared at me.
“Everything is fine, damn it.”
“Bull shit Brian. You’ve been talking to my doctor on and off for the last couple of days.”
“And you’re point?”
“Something is going on yet you won’t tell me.” He grabbed my hand and placed it within’ the palm of his.
“You worry too much.” I raised an eyebrow yet couldn’t help but agree with him. It was just me. I jumped as the doctor’s door opened and she smiled at me.
“Ready to see you guys.” I took a deep breath and lead the way into the office. “Have a seat you two.” I made myself comfortable and smiled brightly at her. “Well then, I guess we just get down to business. We talked about surrogate mothers and I was told, Theresa, that you rather liked that idea, correct?” I nodded my head in agreement. “Well, that’s good. Although there’s one problem. You don’t have enough eggs to impregnate another woman. This is where the tricky business comes into the picture. If you trust a friend, usually they’re more than happy to give up an egg. It’s the other woman, yourself, who would be raising a child that isn’t yours.” I glanced at her and than at Brian who merely shrugged. This was my choice, was what he was saying. What a bastard!
“Honestly, I need to think about this Dr. Lancaster.”
“Of course. Take as much time as you need Theresa. Just give me a call back when you reached your decision.” I smiled my thanks and quickly left the room, Brian close on my heels.
“What do you think?”
“I’m not sure. I mean, I know that it’s one of the best options, it’s just, well, hard.”
“No doubt.” He held the door open for me and I slid in, lost within my thoughts. “You know, Terri would do this for us.”
“I know. She’s one of my best friends for even thinking about it. I guess, it’s just the fact that it’s not mine, you know? At least, before it could have been one of my eggs, but now, it’s nothing of mine.”
“But it will be a part of me. And you’ll be the one to raise it. That’s gotta count for something, right?”
“It does babe.”