- Text Size +
Chapter 4
I stared at the ceiling, counting to ten before I screamed. For the last seventy-two hours, I went back and forth on this answer. It was harder then I could ever imagine. Yeah, the baby would Brian’s, which was great, but it wasn’t me. It would like Terri and Brian. I sighed, as I thought about it. The baby would actually be quite beautiful. The bluest of eyes, and perhaps the palest of hair. And just a touch of chubby cheeks. It would be the cutest child around. Damn, what a hard decision. I jumped off the couch as I heard the front door close and smiled as Howie walked into the room.
“Hey there handsome. What’s going on?” He gave me a brief hug and sat down on the couch.
“Nothing. Was off for a drive, enjoying this nice weather and you popped into my mind. Wanted to see how you were doing?” I quickly opened my mouth to tell him I was fine, but this man knew me. Right next to Terri, he was my best friend. When Brian and I had gotten together, he and I had clicked. There was a bond there that no one knew nor could understand. He knew me, and I knew him, it was that plain and simple.
“I’m having one hard time deciding on what to do.”
“Because it’s Terri’s eggs, correct?”
“Yeah. I mean, when this idea had formed, it was mine, actually and truthfully. Now, there’s really no chance for it to be mine.” He grabbed my hand and shook his head.
“Okay, so yeah, the baby might look a mix between Terri and Brian, I won’t deny that. And maybe the DNA might match hers. But given the chance, Theresa, you would have more of an influence then anyone else on a baby. You’re the one who’s raising it. It’s going to look up to you. And in that aspect, you’re the one it’s going to be like, copying your mannerisms, you’re attitude.” I sat down next to him and smiled.
“You know, you’re right Howie. I had never thought about it like that.”
“Yes, that’s what I’m here for. To put the spin on things that no one else sees.” I laughed at that and shook my head. Honestly, this child would be more mine and Brian’s then anything else.
“Thank you.” I threw my arms around his neck and gave him a fierce hug. He laughed and quickly returned the favor, placing a brief kiss on my cheek.
“Hey, hey now. I’m gone for a few hours and you try to steal my wife, D.” I quickly pulled out of Howie’s embrace and turned to Brian, who was leaning against the doorframe, a smile appearing on his face.
“Baby, you’re home already?” He nodded and I jumped off the couch and gave him a quick hug. “Howie came by to knock some much needed sense in me.” Brian’s hand wrapped itself around my waist and I frowned. He hardly ever did that in front of the guys. In fact, it felt more like he was showing a sigh of possession. I mentally shook those thoughts away. He had no reason for any of that.
“How did he manage that?”
“Said that this baby, though it being part of Terri would be more of part of me because I’m the one that’s raising it.”
“See. I told you that.”
“Yeah, yeah. So, I want to go to Dr. Lancaster and tell her about this.”
“I’ll call her tomorrow and set up an appointment, okay?” I beamed at that and nodded my head.
“Well, I can see my work here is done. I’ll see you two later.” He slapped Brian’s hand and gave me a quick peck on the cheek before he left.
“I’m grateful for our friends, Brian, you know that? I swear, without them, I think we’d be lost.”
“You’re very right.” He quickly gave me a kiss before he turned upstairs to take a shower.