- Text Size +
Chapter 9


Leigh went to console Caitlin. They were becoming better friends everyday, I just wish that Nick was here to see that. I want him to know about the baby that Caitlin is going to have. Truthfully, I've been thinking about this baby a lot. This child might not know his father. I had pretty much convinced myself that I wanted to take part in this baby's life as much as I could if Nick wasn't found.

"Rok, I was thinking," AJ said storming into my room, scaring the crap out of me, "since you know where he was last, we should just go over there and see if we can find them."

"We can't man, officer Hudson...."

"To hell with 'officer Hudson,'" he said saying Hudsons name with disgust, "he's obviously not doing his job very well because if he was, he would have someone out there looking for Nick." I just looked at him because I wanted to go search for Nick, but I didn't think that it would be a good idea. "Look, we really should do this."

"Get Howie," I said, "you're right and I think we are going to need all the help that we can get."

"What about Kevin?" AJ asked me.

"He's my cousin and I love him, but he wouldn't let us do this, so we're just going to have to leave him out of this." A sly grin soon appeared across AJ's face. I could tell that he like my new attitude towards things. Probably because they were a lot like his. His smile remained on his face when he left the room and went to get Howie.

I walked over to the nightstand next to my bed and pulled open the drawer. When we first checked in, I remember having been told about flashlights and batteries in the drawer just incase there was a storm or something. I grabbed the flashlight from the drawer and put it in a backpack. I also thought it would be a good idea to take a recent picture of Nick just incase we may have come across someone who could helped. I grabbed a few pictures and I shoved them into my backpack.

AJ soon returned with Howie, and the three of us were off. As we were wakling through the hall way of the hotel I felt for the first time that I was finally doing something that would make things get better other than just saying that it would be.

When we got to my car, we all jumped right in and then we were off. I'm just glad that Kevin hadn't see us leaving because I know he would have tried to stop us from doing this. He meant well, I know, but I just couldn't sit back any more. I was sick of doing that already. Funny how no one talks to each other lately. The ride was way to quiet. I didn't like it, but I wasn't really sure what to do other than try to make some sort of plan.

"Here's the deal," I began, "while I was there, I took notice that this wasn't a residential area which means there probably wasn't any place for Nick to go. There is a patch of small woods there. I think that he might have wondered through it looking for help. We're going to start there. We are going to have to stay together unless we all have our cells on us."

"I got mine," AJ said.

"Yeah, me too," Howie answered.

"Good, this way we can cover more ground in a shorter amount of time. Which is a good thing because Nick might be living on borrowed time and we want to get to him before that time is up. We'll meet on the other side of the woods, he might have gotten through it and found some help. I brought some recient pictures of him just incase we see anyone. I also have flashlights for us just incase it gets dark before we leave."

AJ and Howie just looked at me and nodded. I could feel that they were really surprised at how I was handling things but I didn't care. Now that we had a plan, the car fell silent again. How I hate the sound of nothing. It silence seemed deafing and over wheleming and I tried my best to ignore it. Soon, the site was coming into view. All of the officers that were there when Caitlin and I were there were gone. I pulled my car to the side of the road and the three of us got out.

"Here," I said handing them both a picture and a flashlight each, "watch yourselves out there and make sure you check in with me and each other just to make sure that we are all alright."

"Alright, lets get rollin'," AJ said walking over towards the wooded area. Howie and I followed behind him. We all began to walk into the woods. AJ and Howie were out of my sight only moments later. The sun was still out but it was getting late so I was glad that I had a flashlight with me. I began to walk into the woods, taking my time to check to see if any trace of Nick had been left behind.

I continued to work at my slow pace and that's when I realized that this was going to take longer than I had expected. I didn't think that it would be a quick 1 2 3 job, but I also didn't think that we would have this much ground to cover.

Darkness soon fell over the woods that surround me. I pulled out my flashlight, boy was I glad that I remembered that they were there. Slowly I continued to make my way through the woods and I was startled by the sound of my cell ringing. I grabbed it from my pocket and answered.

"Hello?"

"Rok you find anything?" AJ's voice came loud and clear.

"No, how about you?" I asked, knowing that it was a stupid question.

"Nothing," he said disapointed, "I'm maybe only about half way through these damn trees, where could this boy be?"

"AJ, we just have to keep looking," I told him.

"I know, I wasn't giving up on you Rok. Give D a call and see if he's gotten anything."

"Okay," I said hanging up the phone and then dialed Howies cell.

"Find anything?" he answered.

"No, and neither did AJ," I told him.

"Damn, do you think we should head home and try again in the morning when we have more light?" he asked.

"No, uh, I actually want to keep going for awhile longer. Something has to turn up right?" I said hoping that Howie wouldn't leave because then me and AJ would have to take all this on by ourselves which just wasn't happening to be honest.

"Okay," Howie said, "good luck."

"You leaving?" I asked.

"No, I'm going to keep looking with you guys. I do want to find him too you know?"

"Thanks man," I said smiling to myself. I hung up the phone and put it back in my pocket and I continued to search.