- Text Size +
Chapter 1


Thinking back to the night this all started, it's just as unreal now as it was then. It's extremely painful to find out that your best friend has gone missing. What made this even harder for me was that I had to sit back while his finace tried to deal with it on her own. It was killing her and I wasn't sure if she was going to be able to pull through this without talking to someone that knew how she felt.

It's been almost a year since this happened, but it's still fresh in my mind. It feels as though this only happened last night. The pain from it all still hasn't completely subsided. There are still so many unanswered questions about what happened.

The images of that night are perminately burned into my mind. I remember sitting back with Leighanne as I watched Nick and Caitlin dance. They looked so perfect; so happy together. I still believe that it was fate that brought these two together. Never have I seen a more perfect couple, other than me and Leighanne that is. It was completely obvious that they would do anything for each other, which is such a rare thing to find these days, especially in people so young.

Finally Caitlin and Nick broke apart and were heading in my direction. I shot Nick a 'I'm happy for you' smile while they were walking over. Their love was displayed so proudly upon their faces to a point that even I was almost jealious! Nick had the biggest grin on his face, probably even bigger than right before one of his infamous pranks was unvailed.

"Hey Rok," he said reaching the table that I was sitting at.

"What's up Nick," I asked well aware of what he wanted to do.

"Nothing," he said flashing Caitlin a smile then turning back to me, "Where's the rest of the guys?"

"Around. AJ's with Sarah, Kevin with Kristin, and Howie is off meeting people I guess," I answered him.

"Where's Leighanne?" Caitlin asked me.

"She just left to the ladies room a moment ago."

"Oh, sounds like a good idea. I'll be right back, " Caitlin said kissing Nick on the check. I knew that she was about to spill her heart out to Leighanne, which I didn't mind cause then I could get into Nick's thoughts.

"Alright," Nick told her. Then he watched as she walked off towards the ladies room. I just sat there, looking at Nick. Waiting for him to turn around to face me. He didn't do that until Caitlin was no longer in sight.

"You guys looked great out there," I told him.

"Thanks," he answered me, some what dazed. Then he added, "I'm so glad that I asked her to marry me. I don't think I'd be complete without her."

"You guys set a date yet?" I asked. He had already asked me to be his best man so I was eagerly awaiting for the day that I would watch my best friend finally settle down with the woman of his life.

"No, but we have decided to wait awhile before we do. To have a long term engagement instead of rushing into it. We both agreed that it would also give us more time to make it perfect," he said to me proudly.

"That sounds like a good idea. I'm just glad that you found her," I told him. What he didn't know was that at first I just thought that he was doing this because he thought that he would be getting back at his ex. Which by the way, none of us liked.

"Man, not as glad as I am. To be blunt I don't know how I lived without her. She just makes getting up every morning more worth it than I've ever known it to be. Having her their, it makes the sun shine a little brighter," he said. I smiled at the poet in him coming to life before my very eyes.

"Just make sure to hold on to her," I told him.

"You don't have to tell me that twice. Hell, you didn't have to tell me that to begin with. I knew from when I first met her that I would never let her go." My grin was becoming wider, I could feel it, but Nick didn't seem to notice. Predictabily, all he noticed was Caitlin emerging from the ladies room.

I smiled as I saw Leighanne walking out behind her. Quickly I rised to my feet and greeted Leigh with a kiss and then pulled out a chair for her. She smiled and thanked me. I smiled back and then turned my attention back to Nick and Caitlin. Then I smiled when I saw that Caitlin didn't even bother to even think about sitting in a chair, but decided to sit on Nicks lap. He had his arm around her waist and my smile couldn't help but grow wider watching them together.

The moment was killed when Nick's and I cell phone ringing almost simultaneously. Reluctantly, we both exused ourselves from the table and went to answer our phones. I wasn't surprised when it turned out to be management. Lately, with the new album in the works, we've been on almost constant call. Sadly that we were informed that we had to come in immediately. Moments after hanging up, Nick and I were approached by Kevin, Howie and AJ. They had gotten the call to.

The guys and I went back to our dates and explained what the call was about. We recieved that exteremely too familiar look of dissapointment that we were always given when we had to leave the loves of our lives. After driving the ladies back to the hotel, we were off to the studio.