- Text Size +
Chapter 5


Morning came very slowly. Neither me Leigh or Caitlin got any sleep. We stayed up talking all night, trying to convince each other that Nick was alright. To be honest, I still held out a lot of hope that Nick was still alive. I think I was the only one that felt like that. Caitlin even got Leigh thinking that Nick was dead, even though she wouldn't admit it.

When the sun became bright, I ventured into the bathroom to take a shower that I knew I needed. When I finished my shower, I walked back into the bedroom and found that Leigh and Caitlin had fallen asleep. I smiled and then decided to go down stairs to get some coffee.

When I reached the restaurant I saw that AJ and Howie were already down there. I walked over to them. They looked at me when I sat at the table.

"You hear anything about Nick?" AJ asked.

"No, but Caitlin remembered about an ex that might have something to do with it," I told them, "and when we called officer Hudson and told him about it, he basically told Caitlin that Nick was dead."

"What the fuck does he know?" AJ said obviously angered by all of this. I just looked at him and I knew he wanted Nick to be alive just as much as I did.

"I think he's alive," I told him.

"I do too," AJ said, with Howie nodding in agreement.

"He's a strong guy," Howie added.

"I think we should go out and look for him," AJ said suddenly.

"What?" I said, "AJ, we don't know where the hell to start or even if Nick is still in the area."

"How do we know that he's not in the area? We don't and I think going out and looking for him is worth the chance," AJ argued.

"I agree with you but...."

"If you agree with me, then lets go," he said getting up from the table. Howie jumped up right after him. They just looked at me. I knew that this wasn't a good idea, but I joined in anyway. If this, by some miracle of god, worked I wanted to be there when Nick was found.

"Where do you guys think you're going?" Kevins voice called.

"I'm going to look for Nick. The police obviously aren't doing that and I feel that something has to be done so I'm doing it," AJ said seriously. I just looked at him, something about this whole event changed his perspective about police had changed.

"No you're not," Kevin said sternly.

"And who's going to stop me? You?" AJ asked obviously fighting back his anger.

"You have to let the police do their jobs, that's what their getting paid for," Kevin told him.

"No, I think their getting paid to sit on their fucking asses while we sit here and worry about one of our best friends. I'm not about to sit back and take that! If that means I have to take this shit into my own hands then so be it."

"Look you can't do that AJ. You have to stay here and wait," Kevin warned.

"I don't have to do anything alright!! If I want to go out and find one of my bests friends to make sure that he's alive then that's what I'm going to do."

"Stop this!" I yelled. I didn't want to hear them fight, "Things are already bad enough, don't make it any worse!"

"Brian," Kevin said to me.

"Wait, AJ's right! Last night and me and Caitlin called officer Hudson and she told him about an ex-boyfriend that she had and he basically said that Nick was dead," I said to him, "and I think that he's alive. We need to do something so that he will stay alive because if we wait for the police, there is no telling what's going to happen to Nick!"

Kevin just looked at me. My out-burst obviously surprised him. He had never seen me act like that, but I never had to worry about if someone I cared about was dead or alive. I couldn't take it anymore, but it was too bad that I had to let it out the way that I did.

"Brian, relax," Kevin said, "this is tearing us all up. You know as well as I do that we have to wait and see what the police come up with."

I just looked at Kevin and kept my mouth shut, I didn't want to make things any worse than they already were. AJ sat back down at the table and I looked over at him and he returned my glance. Both me and him wanted to go look for Nick, but it would just have to wait until later. Because there was no way that I was going to sit back and wonder if my best friend was dead or alive for much longer.

"Do you think Nick had his cell on him?" I suddenly though aloud.

"You know I didn't think of that," AJ said pulling his cell phone out. I smiled, we might finally have something here.

"Don't just sit there, call," I said eagerly.

"Wait," Kevin said, "what if he doesn't answer?"

"What if he does?" Howie asked.

"Just call," I said not wanting this to lead to another arguement. I watched as AJ dialed Nicks cell phone number. We all sat there waiting to see if there was a responce. I looked at AJ, who continued to let it ring. Finally AJ hung up and looked at us.

"It kept ringing until it went to his voice mail," he said. My face dripped with my disapointment. I was hoping that it would work. I thought that someone might have answered it, even if it wasn't Nick. We still had nothing which was getting to me. I wanted this to be over with already.

"It was a good idea," Kevin said. I nodded because it was a really good idea. AJ dropped his cell phone back into his pocket and sat back.

"Well, now what?" he asked.

"We wait," Kevin said, "hopefully there are some leads and they find him before anything happens."

"Morning," Caitlin said as she walked up to the table that we were sitting at.

"Hey," I said, "you had fallen asleep so I came here to get some coffee. I didn't want to wake you."

"It wasn't like I was sleeping very well anyway," she said sadly. She then walked to the chair next to me which was empty and she sat down. I don't think any of us really knew what to say at that point. It wasn't like there was much to say anyway. I looked over at Caitlin who was looking at her engagement ring. I wanted to smile, but right now there was nothing to smile about.

"How are you feeling?" Kevin finally asked.

"Really bad," she said now almost crying, "I still can't believe he's gone."

"He'll be back," AJ said, "I'll make sure of it."