- Text Size +
Chapter 6


It had been two weeks sine Nick disappeared. The worst two weeks that anyone could ever have. After the first two days, Caitlin had completely fallen apart. The longer he was gone the less hope that she had of him coming home alive. I never gave up hope though. Something wouldn't let me, because I knew if I gave up, then he wouldn't come back.

I was not only worried about Caitlin emotionally, but physically. She had hardly eaten anything since Nick had been missing. Her skin was becoming pale from staying inside. She had refused to leave, just incase she got word of Nick's return. I didn't know what to do. I felt the same way, I wanted to stay inside and wait for Nick too, but I knew I had to keep my life moving because if I didn't I would never be able to get myself out of the ditch that I would have put myself in. Caitlin was doing what I knew would make her pain linger on.

One day, I finally went to go talk to her. She needed someone and I needed someone, even though I really didn't want to admit it to anyone. I went into Caitlins room. I was surprised to see that she wasn't in there. When I stepped fully into the room, I saw that the door to the deck was open. I smiled, glad that she was getting out and walked out to join her.

"Caitlin," I said. She turned around to face me.

"Hi Brian. I was just looking out into the ocean. You know how much Nick loved it," she smiled at the memory, "we were going to get married on a beach. Did Nick tell you that?"

"No he didn't," I told her. She smiled.

"We were. It was going to be so beautiful. We didn't decide which beach, but no matter which one we did choose, it would have been perfect. Nick had suggested maybe a beach in Jamaica or the Bahamas," she said with a single tear running down her cheek. I just looked at her.

"That sounds beautiful. I can't wait," I said trying to be optimistic.

"Come on Brian, you know as well as I do that he's not coming back."

"You never know, he might just come back."

"I used to think that too. I'd go to bed every night and tell myself that I'm one day closer to being with him again. Every morning I'd wake up and he wasn't there I knew that he would never be back again. He would never again be there to tell me that everything is going to be alright. My heart died with him."

"We don't know if he's dead or not," I told her.

"It's been two weeks. He's not coming back as much as I don't want to believe it, it's true."

"Come on Caitlin, we'll find him," I said to her. She just turned her attention back to her veiw of the ocean. Suddenly, she regained her composure and began speaking again like nothing had happened.

"Funny how things happen," she said, "just as my life is blessed with something that I've always wanted, I get it taken away from me."

"He's coming back," I said, knowing that it was becoming hopeless, but I refused to admit it.

"I wish he was. The night he disapeared, I had something that I wanted to tell him."

"What was that?" I asked.

"That I'm pregnant," she said. I just looked at her. I couldn't believe it.

"You are?"

"Yeah. I wanted to tell Nick when we went out, but you guys got called away. So I figured that I would tell him back at the hotel. While I was down there, we got so caught up in our conversation remember? While we were heading upstairs, I was thinking about how I was going to tell him. Then when I got to the room and I saw it, I just couldn't believe it."

"How far along are you?" I asked, still not believeing that she was really pregnant.

"About three months."

"When did you find out?"

"Two days before Nick disappeared. I was just waiting for the best time to tell him. We were going to have a family Brian. Nick wanted this more than you can imagine. We'd been trying to get pregnant." I looked at her, she just seemed to be lost in her own world. I wanted to know what she was thinking, but I also didn't want to hurt her again. Since I didn't know what else to do, I left. If I stayed there, what would I have done? Standing there was useless and I knew it.

So I went back to my room. I really needed to be alone. When I got back to my room, I dropped onto the couch and I felt as if I was about to cry. At that moment, I was so angry at this Jordon guy. If Nick was dead then I was going to make him pay. He would taken away a father to a child that had nothing but innosence. As I began almost overcome by my thoughts, the phone rang. I lifted myself from the couch and answered it.

"Hello?" I said.

"Mr. Littrell?" officer Hudson's voice asked.

"Yes?"

"You and Miss. Miller should come down to the station."

"Why? Did you find Nick?" I asked trying to hold back the excitment that was starting to slide into my voice.

"No, but we got Jordon," he said.

"Alright, we'll be right there," I said hanging up the phone. If they had Jordon, why the hell didn't they have Nick?? My heart finally let me believe the worst as I walked down the hall to get Caitlin.

"Caitlin," I said walking back out to the deck where she was still standing, "Officer Hudson called. He wants us to come down to the station. They have Jordon."

"Alright," Caitlin said. I tried to figure out what was going through her mind at that moment. Does she still think that Nick is alive regardless of what she's been saying.