- Text Size +
Chapter 8


When we reached the scene of the crime, a feeling that I can't quite explain overcame me and Caitlin. We knew that this was where Nick was last known to be alive. Caitlin and I were told to wait over by the cars until officer Hudson needed us. I knew I needed to talk to her, not only for her sake, but for mine as well. I had kept all of my feelings inside because I honestly didn't know how everyone would react to my reactions.

I couldn't get up the courage to say anything to her. Everytime I looked over at her, I saw the pain that was in her soul. I saw the heartbreak happening over and over again. I knew how she felt, I just didn't know how to tell her that. We waited and we waited. Nothing happened, Nick wasn't found. I figured that he wouldn't be. Nick was a big guy and he was something that would have stuck out.

After nearly two hours of waiting, officer Hudson walked over to us. At that moment, I felt my heart sink. I knew he was coming to tell us that they found a body. Silently, I braced myself for the worse because I knew it was coming.

"Miss. Miller, Mr. Littrell," he began, "we haven't found any trace of Mr. Carter being here other than this cell phone. We don't know if it's his or not. We were hoping that you guys would know."

"It is," I said solemnly, "but if you found his phone, why can't you find him?"

"There are many possibilities. It could have been planted here to mislead us," he explained while Caitlin and I just looked on, "Or the brighter side, Nick is still alive. It's very possible that the hit to his head may have caused him to suffer from a case of amnesia and he just walked off, not knowing what else to do."

"So he could be walking around somewhere?" Caitlin asked angry.

"It's possible," he told her.

"So what can we do?" I asked wanting to be of some help.

"Nothing really," he answered, "all we can do is hope that someone will see him and recognize him and call the police."

"What are we supposed to do until then?" I asked.

"Pray," he said bluntly and then walked away. Officer Davis came up to us and gave us a ride back to the station so that I could get my car and we could go home. While on the ride to the station, I was thinking about what officer Hudson had told us. That Nick might still be alive. Hearing that gave me new hope that he would be back. Though, the more I thought about it, I began to worry about Nick. How long was he going to be able to survive alone?

A million worries flooded my mind. I had never considered that Nick might be out there, completely helpless, not even sure of who he was. Now that the possiblity was brought to my attention, I didn't want to believe it. Nick was the kind of person that probably would have been spotted by now. I knew in my gut that this just wasn't right.

After telling myself for like the millionth time to stop thinking like that, I turned my attention to Caitlin. She was now trembling uncontrolably. Her arms were wrapped around her as if she was trying to keep warm. My instincts to comfort her kicked in. I slid over in the seat and put my arms around her. In doing so, I hoped that she knew that I was suffering with her.

I let my hand wipe the tears from her cheek. I couldn't put up this act anymore. These emotions that I kept inside were begging to be let out. So without even realizing it, tears began to escape my eyes as well. When we reached the station, neither Caitlin nor myself had said anything. We then stepped out of the car and over to mine. After beginning our ride home, Caitlin finally broke the silence.

"Do you think he's alive?"

"Yes," I told her, "I think he knew he was hurt and he's somewhere getting help."

"But shouldn't the police at least have some kind of search party looking for him or something? If there is even a chance that he is alive, it's constantly getting smaller."

"I agree with you, but there's really nothing that we can do. If you want, and I think you should, take my cell phone and call officer Hudson and tell him what you just told me," I said trying to keep as much of my attention on the road as I could. I heard Caitlin dialing a number on my cell. I was glad that she decided to talk to officer Hudson.

I just listened to as much of the conversation as I could without becoming distracted. Caitlin was almost screaming at officer Hudson about finding Nick. I had assumed that he said nothing could be done, I hated that guy. Maybe we should have someone else assigned to Nicks case, someone who is actually going to care about the people involved.

I began to become fustrated as I listened to Caitlin argue with Hudson. I was getting sick of being so quiet about this. My best friend was gone and I obviously wasn't making things any better by not saying what I wanted to. Why did I have to be so damn nice all the time? I finally realized that sometimes, being nice doesn't get you anything. Look at what it got me, I have no answers about what happened to Nick. And also, I had to watch his fiance go crazy over all of this.

"He said that they can't look for him," Caitlin said giving up on holding back her tears, "he said that they can't be sure that he's actually there since no one has come foward with any information."

"What?" I yelled not caring about anything anymore.

"I know, I mean they found his phone there, shit,that would be enough for me to start looking for him. He might still be out there. I can't believe that this man can live with himself knowing what he's doing to us."

The rest of the ride back to the hotel was silent. We were both still agrivated by officer Hudson. Which I feel was completely understandable for the position that we were in. It looks a lot easier to deal with when you are just watching it happen than when you personally have to deal with it. Let me tell you right now, it's something that no human should ever have to experience.