- Text Size +
CHAPTER 1
“Babygirl?” I put down my pen and quickly turned around. My eyes lit up and I threw my arms around my cousin.
“Brian! I’m so happy to see you. I’ve missed you.”
“I missed you too babygirl.” He gave me another huge hug.
“Hey, hey now. I want to see my sister too.”
“Kevin, hey bro.” I gave him a huge hug as well. “So, how long are you guys in town for?”
“A couple weeks,” Brian said. My heart started pounding.
“Wow. That….makes me happy.”
“Are you okay girlie?” Kevin asked.
“Yeah. Just getting a little dizzy,” I said, clutching my head.
“Here, sit down babygirl.” I sat down but that did nothing to help. “You shouldn’t be doing that,” Brian said.
“I just haven’t been drinking enough fluids, that’s all.”
“And why not?”
“I’m not sure Kev. I think I’m going to bed.”
“I’ll help you up babygirl.” I offered a smile of thanks. Brian’s hand slipped around my waist and I leaned up against him as we walked up the stairs. My mind started spinning and I felt my heart beat rise yet again. He took me in my room and helped me down on the bed. “Want to change?”
“No.”
“Okay. Take a nap and we’ll go out later. Sweet dreams babygirl.” He gave me a kiss on my forehead and left. I laid there and soon the tears were falling. I was in love with my cousin! I wasn’t lightheaded or anything, I just didn’t know if I could hide my feelings for a couple weeks. A few days is different, but weeks? I sighed and curled up in a little ball. I cried myself to sleep, wishing everything was different.

“Girlie?” I opened my eyes and looked at Kevin. “You’re coming to dinner, right?” I smiled and got up.
“I’ll be right down.”
“Wait. Can I talk to you for a second?”
“Sure. Have a seat.”
“I talked to mom. She said you were perfectly fine. So, what’s going on?”
“Kevin, I’m trusting you not to repeat what I’m telling you.”
“You know it girlie.”
“I….well….I’m in love with Brian.” Kevin just stared at me than busted out laughing.
“No way Theresa. He’s your cousin.”
“Maybe.” He stopped laughing and stared.
“What do you mean ‘maybe’?”
“I talked to a lady, she says I look nothing like mom or dad.”
“And?”
“She’s a sight seer. She can see stuff. She believes I’m adopted.”
“No way.”
“Yes. I’m serious Kevin. I look like no one in this family. I act like no one.”
“That doesn’t prove anything.”
“I honestly don’t think I am.”
“Why?”
“A gut feeling. Look, I don’t want to fight about this. Let’s just go to dinner.” I sighed and climbed off the bed. He followed and we walked down stairs in silence. “Oh, hi Brian.”
“Don’t look so down.” I smiled and took the seat next to him. “Feeling better?”
“Yes, thanks.” I took a sip of tea and just tuned everyone out. Kevin and Brian took up the big part of the conversation so I wasn’t missed much. I picked at my meal, not really hungry.
“You okay Theresa?” I glanced up at my mom.
“Yeah, why?”
“Cause you hardly touched your food.”
“Oh, just not all that hungry.” I saw Kevin smirk and my mom frown.
“You know, I think the doctor was wrong. You don’t seem fine.”
“Don’t worry so much mom. I’m fine.”
“Okay sweetie.” I smiled but felt Brian looking at me. I turned in his direction and threw a smile.

I took a sip of the wine cooler and stared up at the moon-less, starry sky. I took a deep breath and let it out slowly.
“Babygirl?” I turned around and saw Brian standing right behind me.
“Hey. What’s up Bri?”
“You. Are you sure you’re okay?”
“Yeah, why?”
“I’ve never seen you eat so little and drink so much.” I just glanced at him and smiled.
“You call this drinking a lot?”
“Somewhat.”
“No, I’m fine. How would you feel if we weren’t related?”
“How…what do you mean?”
“Say, I was adopted. Would you treat me differently?”
“Maybe, why do you ask?”
“Just wondering. So, how’s Leighanne?”
“Good. She’s coming up here shortly.”
“Wow. I can’t wait to see her. You guys made plans yet for your wedding?”
“A few. You know she wants you in the wedding.”
“Oh, as a bride’s maid?”
“Yeah.”
“I don’t know Brian. You know I don’t care for her too much. And you know she can’t stand me. And the only reason she wants me is cause of how close me and you are.”
“I know all that. But you won’t do it for me?” I looked at him and he was giving me his puppy dog eyes.
“Don’t use those.”
“But they always work.” He wrapped his arms around me and I leaned back on his chest.
“I know they work. It’s just not fair.”
“Hey, you have tricks to work on me.” I just laughed and enjoyed the feeling of him. “Why don’t you have a boyfriend?”
“I’m not sure. Haven’t found the right one.”
“You’re 22.”
“And your point? After Rick, I just wanted to live on my own.”
“I’m just worried about you.”
“Thanks Bri.” I leaned back and kissed his cheek. But he moved and my lips connected with his. I just pulled back and looked at him. But he caught my chin and went in for another kiss. Our lips touched again and I felt a warmth from within’. Everything felt so right, yet I knew everything was so wrong. He pulled away and I knew he felt what I was feeling. And than shock was written in both our eyes. We quickly moved away from one another.
“I think…I mean…I’m going. Bye Theresa.” He turned and walked away. I just stood there, still shocked. And it finally hit me that he called me Theresa. Something he hasn’t done in a while.
“What did I do?” I cried out.
“Girlie, where did Brian go?” Kevin asked.
“Gone. He just left.” I rushed past him and up the stairs to my room.