- Text Size +
CHAPTER 2
“Kevin here.”
“Kev, it’s Bri. Look, can you met me somewhere?”
“Um, the park work?”
“Fine. Be there in 10 minutes.” He quickly left and drove to the park nearest the Richardson house. He saw Brian sitting on the bench and quickly parked. Kevin shook his head, knowing he was going to be told something he didn’t like. He took the seat next to him and smiled. “What’s up?”
“I’m in love.”
“With Leighanne, I know.”
“No, with Theresa.” Kevin just stared at his cousin. He was right, he wasn’t going to like this one little bit. Although, he always knew Brian wasn’t meant for Leighanne.
“Excuse me?”
“I kissed her and it felt so right and I know it’s so wrong. Am I a complete idiot?”
“No, maybe a tad strange.”
“Kevin, I’m being serious.”
“Brian, listen very closely. Theresa is your cousin, and will always be your cousin. If you love her, I suggest you stop spending so much time with her and put this infatuation at an end.”
“You think that’s all this is?”
“It has to be Bri. She’s your cousin, that’s just not right and you know it! Besides, you’re all but married to Leighanne as it is.”
“You don’t have to remind me you know.”
“Yes, I do because it seems you can’t get it stuck in your head at all. Leave Theresa alone.”
“You’re right. She’s family, I can’t fall for family. Besides, Leighanne…I love her.”
“Right, very right.” Kevin leaned back against the bench and sighed, knowing that Leighanne wasn’t right for his cousin, but he just couldn’t see Theresa and Brian together. It was odd, too awkward.

Two days had passed and I could breath a little easier. Brian hadn’t come around at all and that was great. I mean, I knew he needed to be with his mom and all, I couldn’t hog all his time. I threw the basketball in frustration up and made the basket with no problem.
“Nice shot.” I froze. That voice, it was coming back to haunt me, it had to be.
“Thanks Bri.”
“Look, I came by to see Kevin, is he around?”
“He’s in the house, writing some new song or other.”
“Doesn’t he know that a break is a break?” I rolled my eyes at Brian and shook my head.
“You know Kev better than that.” I threw the ball up and made another shot.
“Um, Theresa,” I stopped in mid shot, my heart pounding, “Leighanne wanted to know when you could try on some dresses. She wants to start getting them ready, since the wedding will be in two months.” I closed my eyes and prayed for the tears not to fall.
“Whenever she wants me to Bri. It’s not like I do a whole lot, ya know.”
“No websites to update?”
“The Backstreet Boys are on break, so no, not much to report to the little ol’ fans.” He laughed and left me alone, my heart heavy and my head full of thoughts. I needed another man to have, to love. Brian was not going to work, no matter how much I believed I was adopted.

“You okay?” I glanced up and into blue eyes.
“Well, if it isn’t Mr. Carter. And what do I owe for this pleasure?”
“Grumpy, aren’t ya?”
“Stuff it zit face.” He laughed and shook his head.
“You are grumpy when you don’t get want you want.”
“And that is?”
“Brian.” I stopped eating and turned to look at him.
“How did you know?”
“Oh, for crying out loud, I am your friend, right?”
“Eh, sometimes, when it suits my needs.”
“Smart ass aren’t ya?”
“But of course.”
“Anyway, back to the subject at hand…why Brian?”
“Nick, you can never explain what your heart wants, it just does. Trust me, I wish it wasn’t him. I wish I could fall in love with someone else, but I’m telling you, I can’t. I still want to know how you know?”
“I watch you when he’s around. You just sorta…melt, I guess. No one else has picked up on it though, so don’t worry, okay?”
“What would you do if you were me?”
“First of all I wouldn’t be falling in love with no cousin, Second, if I couldn’t stop it, I would think of a way to prove I’m not related, and than third. Yes, third would be to find a way to make that person love me back.”
“You think I’m crazy for thinking I’m adopted?”
“Not at all. You look nothing like the rest of the Richardson’s and you don’t act like Kevin. That does make a big difference.”
“Thank you Nick. I suppose you do have your smart moments.”
“Eh, I do try. Listen, if you want to talk to someone, either Age or Howie works. They both have some odd connections that can help you if you really want to prove you’re not related.” I leaned over the table and gave Nick a hug.
“You can be the greatest help.” He smiled and leaned back against the bench