- Text Size +
CHAPTER 3
“Hmm, if I move this there, that frees up that space and it looks so much better.”
“Who are you talking to?” I glanced up from my computer and straight into Brian’s eyes.
“No one, just thinking out loud. What are you up to?”
“It’s been three days since I last saw you, just wanted to see what you were up to?”
“Working. I got some ideas to change the site and started to work before I forgot. Leighanne not keeping tabs?”
“No, should she be?”
“We all know how you like to get into trouble. Sides, isn’t it sorta late for you to be out?”
“Actually, I had wanted to talk to you. You want to go outside?”
“Yeah, some fresh air would be great.” I stretched my back before I followed him outside. I needed every last ounce of strength for whatever he had coming at me. “What’s up, Bri.”
“Actually, you. I need to apologize for that kiss the other night. I was out of line and not sure exactly what made me do it.” I tried to chuckle, but knew it would only get worse. “I love Leignanne and I really want to marry her. And I would want nothing more than for you to be happy and to be there.” I turned back and walked over to the bench. He certainly wasn’t going to make it easy for me. “I realize you may not want to do it, but since we’re best friends, I really had hoped you would do it cause I wanted you there. I wanted to you be there for me on one of my happiest moments. And on top of that, I would really love for us to be close again.” I felt him sit down next to me and he placed his hand over mine. Damn him! But fine, if he wanted nothing to do to me like that, than it was time I found someone else who wanted my love.
“For you Bri, I’ll do it for you.”
“Great!” He gave me a big hug before he hightailed back inside the house in search of Kevin.
“Hey Theresa. You seen Bri or Kevin?”
“They’re both inside Alex.”
“You okay girlie?”
“Not really, but I’ll be fine.”
“Don’t lie to me. What’s on your mind darlin’?” He sat down next to me and I leaned my head on his shoulder.
“Ever love someone you weren’t supposed to. And you had hoped you could convince ‘em that it was right, yet they just refused?”
“Can’t say that I have. Brian dead set on marrying Leighanne and tossing your love aside huh?”
“Damn, does everyone know?”
“Those of us who have eyes. Listen, if he’s not willing to see, than he’s not worth your time or love. Find someone who’s better, stronger, and able to love you back.”
“Thank you. And I do know, it’s just…”
“It’s not easy to make your heart love one and not another.”
“Right.” He rubbed my shoulder, letting me have the strength of him. I looked up at him and he smiled. I gave him a quick peck to thank him, but for the life of me, I didn’t know why I couldn’t pull away. His lips felt so soft, and the kiss was so tender. Finally, I pulled away and sighed, and than saw Brian step up behind Alex.
“Ready man?” Alex jumped up and beamed down at me before he followed Brian. I let out a deep breath, more confused, for I could have sworn Brian looked really pissed off.

Two days later, I was at the bridal shop, wanting nothing more than to kill Leighanne. Of course, the color for her wedding just had to be pink, the one color I couldn’t stand. I looked that way and this way to figure out why the hell she would pick such a hideous color. I looked horrible in it, which actually may have been why.
“Aren’t you almost ready?” I walked out of the dressing room and did a turn in front of Alex. He busted out laughing, almost spilling his soda. “Why the hell is she making you wear pink?”
“Who the hell knows! It pisses me off though cause I hate pink, and she knows it. And secondly, I look horrible in pink.”
“Well,” he walked around me, checking me out at every angle, “the color really highlights your color. And the dress does define certain assests.”
“Oh, stuff it!”
“Hey now, I’m just a gentleman admiring a lady’s beautiful form.” I rolled my eyes before I pulled up my hair, mentally killing Leighanne. I felt Alex get closer and felt his breath against the back of my neck before his lips caressed the tender area. I squirmed away, laughing.
“Come on, I gotta get some food.” I went back into the dressing room. I stopped at the door and turned around to Alex. “No, you have to go wait outside mister!” He pouted but went back into the main room. I quickly changed, grabbed my purse and went to Alex. His arm slipped around my waist and we headed out, bumping into Brian and Leighanne and her maid of honor.
“Oh, hey you all.”
“Hey Alex, Theresa.”
“Thanks for picking out wonderful dresses Leighanne. It looks wonderful.”
“Oh, I’m glad you like them Theresa.” I threw the party a smile before we walked out. I turned and saw Brian watching us, a frown appearing on his face. Mentally, I was happy. Now, I wasn’t using Alex. We weren’t a couple, just friends who loved to flirt. Besides, he got my mind off Brian and he knew this.