- Text Size +
CHAPTER 4
Brian stepped into the room, watching Kevin work on his latest song. He walked over to the piano and Kevin glanced up.
“Hey Bri. What’s going on?”
“I came by to talk to Theresa. Is she here?”
“Nah man. She’s at AJ’s, I believe. Nick got them hooked on some game and they’re determined to beat it.”
“Does it worry you that she’s spending all this time with Age?” Kevin frowned for a moment and shook his head.
“Is there a reason that I should be worried?”
“It’s AJ, womanizer and flirt.”
“They’re just friends, Brian. Why are you getting all worked up over it?”
“I’m not. I just don’t want to see any trouble.” Kevin rested his arms on the top of the piano and raised an eyebrow in question.
“Now, I know you pretty damn well. This thing with Alex and Theresa really has you worked up, why?”
“I just…I don’t know. Remember that talk we head?” At Kevin’s nod, Brian went on. “I talked to the Theresa, told her that there could never be anything between us, and the kiss was just a mistake.”
“Smart move. And did she rant and rave?”
“No, she just took it. Like it didn’t bother her.”
“Ah, and now that’s she spending time with Age, you’re getting jealous?”
“Not jealous. Okay, maybe a little.”
“Brian, don’t start this again. You really need to get her out of your head. If it means cutting off the friendship, than I suggest you do it. If she dates Alex, Howie, Nick or any other man, you can not let it get to you. You’re marrying Leighanne in less than two months. Stop with this foolishness.”
“You’re right, I know this. I can’t help my feelings though.”
“Brian, for your sake, you really better learn how.” Brian sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. He knew Kevin was right, he couldn’t be feeling like this. But the few times he caught them together, it nearly killed him inside.

“Damn it Alex, you keep getting me killed. I won’t let you play this game anymore if you keep it up.” AJ barely missed the punch that was coming at his arm.
“I’m sorry. Let’s take a break from the game. My eyes are going opposite ways.” I laughed and threw the controller on the table, agreeing with him. I leaned back against the couch and sighed as I felt AJ’s hands massaging my neck.
“You’re good.” He chuckled and I felt his lips brush my neck. I let out a deep sigh, as his lips moved along my neck. After a few moments, his lips found mine and a soul searching kiss rendered me speechless. It certainly wasn’t hard for me to forget Brian when I was with Alex. And no, I wasn’t using him. In fact, I was really starting to fall for him. I shifted my position and laid down on the couch, enjoying the weight of Alex on top. His eyes locked with mine and a smile took over his lips.
“Keep it up darlin’, and it might lead us down a road we’re not ready to take.”
“Oh, who says we’re not ready to take it.” He slowly started to lean back, confusion clouding his eyes. “No, you think wrong Alex. I’m not using you, honestly. Brian is truly the furthest thing from my mind. When I’m with you, all I can think about is wanting to be closer to you.” I pressed my lips against his, trying to prove the point. He groaned and laid me back down on the couch, raising my tank top up over my head and casting it aside. His eyes sparkled as he took in my form and I smiled to myself. No, I most certainly wasn’t a virgin, but to have eyes appreciate was truly a glorious feeling. His lips brushed along the top of my bra, driving my crazy with desire. I slid my nails down his back, making him groan against my lips. I lifted his shirt up, tossed it next to mine, and ran my nails down his chest. I leaned up for his kiss, hearing a door bell ring. I blinked for a moment, not really believing it, but than I heard Alex swear and knew someone was paying a visit. He left the couch and walked over to the front door.
“Hey Brian, what’s going on man?” I rolled my eyes and jumped off the couch. Brian was really working a nerve with his hot and cold feelings. If he saw me half naked at Alex’s house, I wasn’t going to care. I had just turned around when I saw Brian right by the couch.
“I needed to talk to Theresa.”
“You found me. Start talking.”
“Actually, I was hoping for a little more privacy and you not half naked.” I glanced at Alex, who had a huge smirk on his face.
“You get what you get. What’s going on Brian, what was so important?”
“The dress shop called, said something happened to the dress and you needed to come down as soon as possible.” I narrowed my eyes, not buying that sorry excuse at all. If he was telling the truth, he wouldn’t have needed privacy for that.
“Okay. Sorry Alex, I guess I have to go to the shop. Wanna give me a lift?”
“I gotta head over there to pick up Jolene’s gown. I’ll take you.” I lifted a shoulder. I grabbed my tank top, gave Alex a quick kiss and walked over to Brian’s car. After a few moments, Brian finally exploded. “What the hell was going on?”
“None of your damn business.”
“Bull shit. I’m your cousin and your friend.”
“And that gives you what right to ask questions?”
“Every right. Do you know what AJ does? He uses them! It’s like a game to him.”
“Really? When he started dating all his ex’s, did you tell them the same thing? No, I didn’t think so. So, why the fuck are you giving me this lecture?”
“Because you were about to screw him!”
“And that matters to you why?”
“Because I love you!” I was taken back by that comment. For all the reasons to hear, that was the last one I thought I would get. And he looked like a ghost, which told me that he never should have said that.
“Brian, if you felt that way, why the hell did you let me go?”
“We wouldn’t work out Theresa. We’re cousins. Even if you are adopted, it doesn’t change things. You’re still my best friend and we still grew up together.”
“I see. And it sounds like Kevin talked to you. So, let me repeat what he told you. Let your feelings go. You already showed me you don’t want me, but you’re not gonna play that game that if you can’t have me, no one will. I like Alex, Brian. Be happy that I can like someone.” I got of his car and slammed the door behind me. Luckily, he was so upset, he hadn’t realized he had takin’ me to my house and not the dress shop.