- Text Size +
CHAPTER 5
“Howie, what are you doing?”
“Just watching a little TV, why chica?”
“Can I come over and talk to you?”
“Of course. I’ll be waiting.”
“Thanks D.” I hung up my phone and grabbed my car keys. As I walked out to the car, I saw Kevin pull up. I knew that I shouldn’t be upset at him, but I really couldn’t help it. “Hey Kevin, the next time you want to interfere with my life, how about asking me first?”
“What in the world are you talking about?”
“Brain, you son of a bitch. Thanks to you, both he and I are totally confused. Right now, and in the near future, I suggest you stay out of my path for I could really hurt you!” I got into my car, slamming the door behind me. I tore out of the driveway and sped all the way to D’s house.

“Let me get this straight. You believe you’re adopted, fell in love with Brian and now have feelings for Alex?”
“Yeah D, that about sums it up.”
“You’ve been busy.” I threw the pillow at him, needing to vent my frustration. “T, tell me something. Brian told you he loved you. Do you still love him?”
“Not completely. I swear I’m not using Alex; I really like him and truly want to be with him. But, I have loved Bri for so long, it’s not easy to stop loving him.”
“Would you be able to stop if you knew you were adopted?”
“I’m not sure. Even if I am, I would still consider both Kevin and Brian family.”
“Honey, if that’s the case, than you know you can’t really have true feelings for Brian.”
“Than what the hell am I feeling?”
“You could love him. It’s not impossible, you know. I just think you let that feeling morph into something more. I feel that if you spent more time with Alex, you’ll forget about your feelings for Brian all together.” I chewed on my bottom lip, thinking over what he had said and agreed. Brian had said he wanted to keep our friendship, and I couldn’t have agreed more. Which meant I had to be there to support him in his marriage, no matter how much I hated Leighanne. And as for Alex, if he wanted more, I was willing to give him more.

“This is the last fitting, right?” I glared over at Alex and waited for the young woman to make the small changes to the gown. I smoothed if over my stomach, finally deciding I didn’t hate the dress as much as I had started out with. Part of that anger stemmed from the fact that I was jealous and really had no right to be.
“Okay, Ms. Richardson, all done.” I shifted in the mirror, happy with the way it looked. It wasn’t a light pink, rather a darker shade.
“You do look beautiful. It sucks, though, that I won’t be walking down the aisle with you.”
“Ah, don’t pout. I have to walk with my brother, so I’m sorry. Voice all your complainants to Brian; he’s the one who arranged it.” Alex laughed, resting his hands upon my hips.
“I get the first dance though, right?” I leaned back against his chest and nodded my head.
“You know that.” I have him a brief kiss before I walked back into dressing room to change. Within a few minutes, I was walking back outside, cringing as I saw Brian talking to Alex. It had been a couple of days and I hadn’t talked to him. No, I wasn’t avoiding him…okay, I was. I didn’t know what to say him.
“Hey baby girl. I was hoping to find you here. I had wanted to talk to you.” I glanced quickly at AJ before I walked outside with Brian.
“What’s on your mind Brian?”
“us. What I said the other day, was really uncalled for. I apologize for saying it.”
“Did you mean it Brian?”
“I’m not…no, I didn’t. I was hurt and confused, and said stuff that wasn’t right.”
“In that case, forget about it. Leave it at the fact that we’ll be friends, cousins, and nothing more.”
“I suppose that’s all I have to ask for.” I smiled at him.
“That kiss meant nothing, the words meant nothing. You love Leighanne, are planning on marrying her in less than a month. Don’t let some stupid little emotion stop something you want.”
“Do you want me to marry her?” I looked deep into his eyes and could have sworn that he wanted me to tell him that marrying her was wrong, that it should be me. But being with Alex, I didn’t want to be with Brian. D was right, just a feeling morphed into something more.
“It’s not my choice. I don’t liker her, you know this. I really wished she didn’t belong to this family, but it’s your decision, not mine, nor Kevin’s, nor anyone else who dislikes her.” He nodded his head, accepting what I had said, or didn’t say.
“Are you happy with AJ?” I glanced threw the glass and saw Alex leaning back along the wall.
“Yeah, I am. It took me a while to let my feelings go, but when they did, I felt absolutely wonderful.”
“Then I suggest you keep him. He’s a great man.”
“Yes, he is.” Brian gave me a hug and a quick kiss on the cheek. He got in his car and waved as Alex walked out of the store.