- Text Size +
Vanessa Reigns stepped out, into the darkness, of the night. Her long shift, at the department store, was over and she was, highly, anticipating her weekend off. After her boyfriend proposed, three days ago, they had planned a nice vacation, for the weekend. Even after a hard day, her heart still fluttered, with excitement.

The soft clicking, of her heels, filled the air, along with the rustling leaves. The chilly, late night, autumn air drifted through her hair. A shiver ran down her spine as her dark hair brushed over her shoulders. Wrapping her sweater, around her, tighter, she quickened her pace.

As the store’s manager, she was unfortunate enough, to be the last one out the door. The deserted parking lot offered absolutely no safeguard, for the young woman. She hated leaving, after hours, and tonight would be the perfect example, for why she had the right to that fear.

Reaching her car, she opened the unlocked door, oblivious to her surroundings, and not noticing the rusted truck that was parked at the far end, of the parking lot. She didn't hear the shallow breathing, in the backseat, nor did she peek over her shoulder, as she slid into the black Buick. Her nightly routine went into play, as she locked the door, before quickly sweeping her hair off her neck, and restraining it in a loose ponytail. The soft white skin, of her neck was exposed, only to be seen by the soft glow, of the solitary street light, that stood a hundred, or so, feet away.

The car’s engine came to life, and her manicured nails flicked on the bright head lights. Just like every other night, she reached into her purse, for an after work cigarette and her lighter. The radio played just loud enough that she didn’t hear the shifting, in the backseat, as she lifted the unlit cigarette, to her lips.

The man sat up, almost, silently. Tilting his head, he watched the attractive young woman light her cigarette. He licked his lips, leaning close enough, to smell the soft apple scent, of her hair. Letting his eyes drift shut, only for a moment, he thought of all the things he could do to such a fine specimen. Slowly, his hands crept up the back, of the seat, toward her shoulders.

His hands were large, and his fingers long, smooth latex covering them. He loved to watch them wrap around slender necks, just like hers. “Not tonight.” He told himself. They had given him a nickname, now. He had seen it, on the news earlier that night, and was now determined, to stick to that name. He knew the investigators were stumped and that pleased him, greatly.

A smirk crossed his lips, as he let his arm wrap around the seat, and across her neck, pinning the defenseless woman against the cold leather. With fear coursing through her veins, she squirmed beneath the man’s hold. Her eyes darted around, trying to find a glimpse or reflection, of the man, but it was no use. Hot tears nestled in the corners, of her eyes, as her fingers desperately pried, at the man’s arm. The grip he had, on her, was strong, though, lifting her up, slightly. No longer did her feet touch the floor, of the car, as her legs kicked wildly. One of her heels clunked, to the floor, as her other knee hit the horn.

“Shhh, it’s okay, love. It will be over soon,” his voice crooned, with a mock sweetness. The hot breath, from his lips, brushed over her ear, and it caused her entire body to stiffen. As his other hand cupped her breast, she tried to let out a scream, but was immediately silenced when his grip, over her throat, tightened.

“P…p…pl…ea…se…” Vanessa tried to beg, but her breaths were strained and her vision was blurring. Her eyes fluttered shut, as her body stopped moving. The voices, in her head, screamed at her, to fight, but she couldn’t make her body obey. Tingles engulfed her senses, as darkness overcame her mind.

“You know…women like you use to beg me all the time…but it was for something completely different than, for me, to spare their life.” A bitter laugh escaped the man’s lips, as he climbed out of the car. Opening her door, he removed her limp body, from the car. Laying her on the ground, he observed her light breathing, and her paling skin. Stepping over her, he retrieved the cigarette, from the car’s seat, taking a hit from it. The small burn that the cigarette had left, on the leather, did not escape his sight. The gears, in his mind churned, as he held up the cigarette, to inspect it.

He wasn’t too worried, about being in the vast open. The large department building blocked the highway’s view, of the parking lot; and since it was well past midnight, now, he knew the local cops would be at the coffee shop, downtown, for their late night fill ups. The soft glow, from the lone street light, failed to illuminate much, around him, leaving them cast in dark shadows. Observing the surroundings, he knelt beside the young woman, and ran his fingers through her hair. He loved the feeling of the soft silky locks.

After taking another hit, his hand moved toward her face; then he slowly pressed the cherry, to the soft skin of her cheek. Grunts and soft moaning came from her throat, as he continued to make several lasting marks, on her porcelain-like face. His smirk grew wider, with every new burn that he inflicted, and then his satisfaction grew, as her eyes snapped open and her voice pierced the night air.

The man couldn’t deny the thrill he felt, as his fingers reached down, to grasp his jagged hunting knife that he called his ‘sidekick’. Pulling it from the sheath, strapped to his leg, he held it up, to inspect the eight inch, serrated, blade. He licked his lips, as he let a finger run over the smooth side of the blade.

Having regained consciousness, Vanessa began to fight, once again. Her body felt weak, as she tried to scoot, and crawl, away from her predator. Tears began to stream down her face, as she felt his hand grasp her ankle and pull her back, across the pavement, to him. Her frightened eyes took in the sight, of him, looking over his latex covered hands that held the knife, and the plastic rain gear that covered his body.

Leaning down, to her, his hand grasped her chin tightly; before he let his lips cover hers. Fighting against him, she tried to free herself, from his grasp. Without warning, his other hand plunged the knife deep, into her chest. Her hands flew up, again, trying to hit and grab at the assailant, as she fought, for her life. Vanessa cried out, into her killer’s mouth, as he continued to kiss her while he twisted the blade and let it tear through her heart. Only a few moments later, the woman’s arms fell, lifelessly, to the pavement.

“See, baby? I told you it would be over soon.” He broke his lips, away from hers, and sat back, on his heels, to look at his latest victim. Grabbing the hem, of her shirt, he wiped off his sidekick, before stuffing it back into its home. Taking one last look, he stood up, and walked toward his truck.