- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry it's been so long! I sure hope you guys haven't forgotten about me.
His eyes were trained on the young woman’s figure, as she immerged from the convenient store’s front door. The grip he had, on the steering wheel, was tight enough to make his knuckles turn a ghostly shade, of white. The beating, of his heart, steadily drummed against his ribcage; and sent a pounding rhythm into his ear drums. His body shook with a slight tremble, as his eyes trailed over the woman’s body, when she slipped effortlessly into her cherry red sports car.

“What am I doing here?” he asked himself, feeling the clamminess, of his palms, and the nervous twitch, in his knee. Ever since dinner, the night before, his emotions and nerves had been frazzled, beyond his own comprehension. Theresa had shown him a kindness that he wasn’t used to, and his brain screamed at him, that there must be something she wanted…probably his money, but he kept that under tight lock and key. His thoughts continued to drift, as he watched the little car pull out of the parking lot.

“Just follow her.” The rough voice had an icy cold harshness, to it, that pierced him. The voice belonged to Daemon…a man he found to be quite annoying, and very demanding…but also a man who he could never get to go away. When Daemon showed up, there was no getting rid of him, until he left on his own accord.

A new wave of frustration hit him, as he forced his truck into drive. His teeth clenched and his heart rate increased dramatically, as he maneuvered the truck, to follow the sports car. Goose bumps suddenly sprouted up, all over his body, when a cold shiver slowly traveled down his spine.

Trying to keep his thoughts under control, he continued his pursuit of the car, as it turned down a dark alley. “Oh, no. A dark alley? Really? Come on….haven’t you seen the horror movies?” He shook his head, knowing what was surely coming next. “A pretty woman should never…under any circumstances, go down a dark alley…by herself…in the middle of the night!”

“I can hear you, you stupid idiot! Shut, the fuck, up and pull over…don’t get to damn close, this time! Last time you nearly blew our cover…that Veronica chick almost saw the damn truck.” Daemon was never one for kind words and always had a harsh tone; but that was only one thing he hated, about Daemon. Slowly bringing the truck to a stop, he gazed around the pitch black alley…not a single street light, to be seen.

“Her name was Vanessa…and she didn’t even come close, to seeing the truck.” His eyes narrowed, thinking about the look in her eyes, when the life faded from them. Just the thought…the image…gave him nightmares. Hell…every victim’s face popped up, in his worst dreams, from time to time.

“Veronica…Vanessa…Shit Bitch…call her whatever, the fuck, you want…does it really look like I…give a shit…what her name was? I didn’t think so. Now focus!” Turning his eyes away from Daemon, he saw the woman, straight ahead, slipping out of her car. His breath caught, seeing her perfectly white heels hit the pavement. Her heels matched her outfit…which matched her purse…which matched her earrings…what, in God’s name, was a woman like that…doing here?

“I…I…I can’t….do…this.” His voice trembled, in almost a whisper, as he stared at his hands, which still gripped the steering wheel, so tightly, that his blood couldn’t reach the tips, of his fingers. Swallowing hard, he lifted his ocean blue eyes, back to the woman. She was entering a small house now…and he knew what was coming.

“God you are so weak! What the fuck?!?” Daemon’s voice was louder…harsher…colder…and it cut him like a hot knife, being stabbed through his chest. “Do I have to do everything for your sorry ass? You get the fucking shit burnt out o’ your face…people treat you like the shitty ass monster that you look like…and you can’t even take a stand for yourself? Are you fucking serious?!? How come we have to go through this…every…damn…time? You’re pathetic!”

His hand, unwillingly, opened the truck door and his lengthy legs stretched out, into the darkness. Standing up, he felt his stiffened muscles groan, as they were forced to stretch. Every ounce, of his being, screamed at him, telling him to just get back in the truck, and drive away. However, he found…as usual…his body refused to abide, by those wishes. Frustration and despair were only a few words, to describe the emotions that twisted through him, at that very moment.

“Jesus!” Daemon’s voice was in a low growl, now, but was nowhere to be found. Looking around, he tried to find Daemon, with no avail…but this was how it always went. Closing his eyes, he took in a deep, but ragged, breath, of the warm night air. When he felt his stomach suddenly knot, his eyes popped open, and the feeling was gone. His frustration dissipated, and his eyes were now a much darker blue than usual, like a treacherous tornado had just twisted into view.

His stride radiated confidence, as he made his way over, to the car. Crossing his arms, to conceal his gloved hands, he allowed his weight to lean back, on the car. With narrowed eyes, that caused little creases in the corners, he tilted his head…waiting. It was several, adrenaline pumped, moments, before the woman reemerged into the darkness. A cocky, satisfied smirk graced his lips, as she walked toward him…she was oblivious, to his presence.

“I can’t believe…of all the nerve…!” The woman’s voice flowed softly, like that of smooth silk across your skin. It was airy…carefree…and surely happy. Soon enough, her voice would change…drip of fear and plead in helpless desperation.

“Awfully late, for a sweet little honey, like you, to be out and about…don’t you think?” The voice that flowed from his mouth was harsher, and rougher, than his usual timid, soft tone. One brow shot up, as he stayed firm, in his position. He couldn’t keep his eyes from traveling over her every curve once more…there sure was a lot to appreciate, on this one.

“Oh my god!” Her gasp filled the air, as her hand flew to her chest. The startle didn’t detour her from advancing, toward him, though. “Is there something you needed from me? I have to get to work…so make it fast.” Reaching for the door handle, she didn’t seem worried about his presence there…nor did she seem frightened, like she should have.

“Oh, you won’t be going to work baby.” That cocky smirk crossed his lips, again, as he stepped to the side and positioned himself in front of her. His arms remained crossed, over his chest, as he stared down at her.

“Excuse me? What is your problem?” Flipping her hair, as beautiful women, so often do, she shifted her weight, to one foot. Her freshly manicured fingers gripped her hip, while her dark expectant eyes stared at him, waiting for an answer.

“Beauty isn’t everything, darlin’.” Quickly grabbing her arms, he flung her around, slamming her into the car, making her dark curls fly over her face. The grip, his fingers had, on her arms, remained firm. His head bent down, letting his eyes lock onto hers. Once again, the very same smirk became obvious, when she let out a startled gasp.

“Wh….what…do you…want…from…me?” Ragged breathing broke her words, and her eyes now reflected a fear that should have been there, from the start. To say that he was satisfied, would have been an understatement…that fear only fueled his adrenaline.

“Can’t you come up with a more original fucking question? Why do you women always ask the same damn things?” Growing even harsher than before, his voice dripped with agitation. One hand lifted, releasing the rough grip on the woman’s arm, and shot up to conform around her tender throat. The feeling of her skin burnt like fire, even through the latex gloves that covered his hands. A strong desire, to jump backwards, coursed through him…yet…his body would not react.

“I….I can’t….” For that single moment, his voice returned to that of a fragile broken man. It was quickly replaced, though, with the harsh tones, that make his skin crawl. Once again the storm raged through his eyes, and his fingers wrapped tighter around the delicate flesh, cutting off the woman’s breath.

“P….pl….ple…ase…” One strangled word was all she could force out, but it was not enough. It was so very far, from being enough. Horrible thoughts ran through his mind…what would be done to this one? There were so very many possibilities…so many options…but which one would be selected?

“Shut, the fuck, up…and I might make it quick.” Fire stormed from his eyes, as his stare etched into her face. Traveling from her throat, his hand moved up over her mouth. A single gasp managed to reach her lungs, before his hand made it to cover her lips.

When he forced her to the side, his touch was anything but gentle. Only one hand left her body, when he yanked the driver’s door open. His eyes closed, for a mere moment, as a deep breath sucked through his nostrils and into his awaiting lungs. His eyes snapped open, hearing a blood chilling crunch and his stomach twisted, when he saw the woman’s face crushed in the door. Quickly, he re-opened the door, seeing the obvious damage to her previously perfect face. Her eyes were closed now…and her voice had been silenced…obviously, the one blow was enough, to render her unconscious.

“Again!” Harsh, and merciless, his voice rang out, into the darkness. As his voice suggested, his hand slammed the door onto her face, again, resulting in a crunch worse than the last. Blood spilled, from several areas, on her face and the smell stung his nose, like acid.

“Stop! You’re going to kill her!” Hearing such a small, fragile, voice caused his hands to pause. A quick and panicked look around, resulted in nothing. Where was the little girl he was sure he heard? “Don’t make him kill her!”

“Shut up, you little fucking runt!” There was Daemon’s voice again. Trembling, he whipped around, letting the woman’s body collapse to the pavement. His eyes scanned all around him. Nothing. No one. Darkness. Cold. Loneliness. “Finish it, you weak ass piece of shit!” He shook his head fiercely, confused by what was happening. One more vicious shake, of his head, and the fierce storm crashed through his veins, once again.

Gripping the back of her collar, his hand positioned her head back, in the door. With much more force, he slammed the door against her face. More loud, bone cracking, noises filled the warm night air. Her skull was becoming more and more disfigured as the door forcefully closed down on her head, again…and again. Once her body went limp and lifeless, he backed away and ran toward his truck, looking around for any signs of another person…specifically a child.

As he climbed into the truck, he fought the urge to lose the little bit of dinner, he had eaten hours ago. Just like usual, Daemon was no where, to be found, now. Typical. It was the same thing, every time. He saw, and fought, with Daemon before every murder, but no matter how hard he fought, he never won. The moment he got out of his truck…he could hear Daemon, but was never able to see him. It was disturbing and he didn’t understand how Daemon’s voice seemed to overtake him…as if Daemon controlled him. His own thoughts seemed to get lost amongst the harsh voice…as if his mind was no longer his own. Once the victim was dead…Daemon was gone.

With tears streaming down his face, he sped off, cursing and hitting the steering wheel. He had lost control, of himself, again. This needed to stop…and he knew it. So far, though, he had not figured out how to stop himself…and that, alone, would torture him into a sleepless night.