- Text Size +
Elly had been in surgery for just over half an hour and Brian felt as if it was the longest hour of his life. He couldn’t believe that this was all happening to him and his daughter. The room seemed like it was closing in on him but he had wanted to be there the second that the doctor had come back in. It was all getting too much for him though as he stood up.

“Where are you going honey?” Jackie asked.

“I just need to get out of this room,” he said making his way to the door.

“Do you want some company?” Claire asked.

“No thanks. I just want to be on my own.”

Claire understood why he wanted time and space on his own so even though it was breaking her heart to see him the way that he was, she watched him walk out of the room on his own.

Brian stood outside the room that his family was in and didn’t know were to go. He soon found himself outside the hospital chapel. He had always been a man of faith and he knew now that he needed God more than he had ever done in his life.

He walked into the chapel and walked to the front and sat down in the first pew. He had always loved sitting in church and looking at all the windows that showed different stories from the bible. He got down on his knees and said the hardest prayer he had ever had to in his life.

“God, I know that there’s a reason why Elly is ill, even though I don’t understand it, I know that you will help me get through. I don’t know how to deal with it all though. I don’t know how I should feel, none of it has sunk in yet. I thought that when Rachel left me, that it was going to be the hardest thing in my life to get through but I know that this is so much harder. Elly is everything to me and I can’t live without her. I know that I was young when she was born but I have done everything I can for her. Please don’t take my little girl away from me. Please help her to fight this so she can get better. I swear that I will do anything that you ask of me if I can just have my little girl safe and well again. I ask all this in your name. Amen”

Brian sat back up on the pew and wiped the tears that had fallen down his cheeks. Unknown to him, Claire had watched the whole scene. She didn’t know what to do for him. All she wanted to do was to make his pain disappear.

“Brian?” she called sofly.

He turned around startled, not knowing that she was there.

“The doctor wants to talk to you when he gets cleaned up,” she continued when Brian didn’t speak.

Taking in a shaky breath, Brian got to his feet. As he started to walk over to where Claire was standing in the doorway, he found each step he took harder than the one before. It was as if someone had put weights in his shoes. He was scared of what the doctor was going to say to him. When he reached Claire, she took his hand to give him some support as he walked.

Slowly they made it to the room and they stepped inside. He took a seat beside his mom wanting the comfort that only a mother could give. He put his arms around his mom and cried.

He didn’t calm down until the doctor stepped in the room and cleared his throat.

“Mr Littrell?”

Brian quickly wiped his eyes and turned to the doctor.

“How’s Elly?” he asked.

“Everything went to plan. We were able to get the central line in. We have done an X-ray to make sure that it’s firmly in place. We want to start the treatment first thing in the morning.”

Brian swollen the lump that had formed in his throat. This wasn’t the time to feel sorry for himself, he had to be strong for Elly. She needed him now more than she had ever needed him.

“If you see any swelling around her neck or arm, please get a nurse immediately as her central line could be blocked or if there’s any redness or she complains that it’s sore around the area, please let myself or a nurse know as there could be an infection,” the doctor explained.

Brian could feel his head start to spin with all this new information but he wasn’t going to start feeling sorry for himself again. Elly had got him through the break up with Rachel and now it was time for him to get her through this. She needed her daddy and he was determined that he was going to help her through this. When Claire had said earlier that Elly was a fighter like her daddy, she was right. If Elly was going to fight this, then Brian was going to fight along with her. Tomorrow was the start of their long battle.