- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

written for the June challenge. I kinda used all the prompt given for this fic, and also, it's really short, 653 words :p

Pick one of the scenerios below and create a short story about it.

Keep it to 1,500 or less. (Usually flash fiction is less than 1,000)

Remember, a story needs a begining, middle and end. We're not talking about a scene that goes nowhere.

This can be any genre or any fandom or even original fiction, doesn't really matter.

Scenerio #1 - Someone gets lost.

Scenerio #2 - Someone is waiting in line for something

Scenerio #3 - Someone has just died

Scenerio #4 - Someone is very angry about something

Scenerio #5 - Someone is moving
 

 

G’bye.

It wasn’t until he was out in the middle of nowhere, with an empty gas and the scorching sun inches above him that he noticed the small print at the top corner of the map.

Printed and certified valid as at 1997.

Should have gone with a GPS instead.

“Shut up smartass. Easy for you to say, you’re not here.”

It seemed like a piece of cake just six hours ago. Pack some stuff (he didn’t need much anyway, not for this kind of road trip), map in hand, should be there in a few days top. Just enough time for him to get his head back on straight before he face everyone.

Come to think of it, being lost wasn’t such a bad idea after all.

As he wondered out loud about what else could have gone wrong for him, his cell phone started beeping.

LOW BATTERY!

And then just…poof.

“Right, of course.”

He could feel the beginning of cracks on his lips. His throat was parched. He was perspiring buckets and it didn’t take a genius to know he could kill a small country just from his body odor alone.

Sighing in defeat, he made his way back to the car, pulled the key out of the ignition, made a grab for his bag, locked the car and started walking.

Every road leads to somewhere. This is no different.

-

There was a baby crying between isle three and four, a group of kids browsing a comic book together and snorting at intervals, a couple trying to decide if they should take that pack of nachos or not and a dude talking on the phone yelling ‘dude, I draw the line at buying you a friggin condom, get it yourself!’.

The queue was horrendously long and the girl in front of him was trying to balance tubs of ice creams while chatting on the phone at the same time.

Like any other queues, you’ll reach to the front eventually, so with a gallon of petrol in his hands, he waited for his turn, like everybody else.

-

He spent two nights in dingy motel rooms and ate power bars for breakfast.

He skipped lunch altogether to make up for lost time and drove all day long.

Dinner was a burger and soggy fries at roadside diners. He had truckers for company, coming in for their breaks.

They came in as strangers and they walked away with someone else’s life stories.

-

He reached Estill County, Kentucky on the third day.

Dawn was just breaking and everything was just…still. It was peaceful and beautiful when it shouldn’t be.

Thing is, Kevin died in his sleep three nights ago.

There were no warnings, no goodbyes, no nothing. Just here today, gone tomorrow.

And Nick, he was just angry.

-

It takes six people to carry a coffin.

Luckily for Kevin, he had six brothers.

As Tim, Jerald Jr, Brian, Howie, AJ and Nick lowered the casket to the ground, Kevin sleeps on, clueless of the beloved he was leaving behind.

-

People move from a place to another all the time. We buy a bigger house and fill it with more things. When it takes up the entire house, we move to an even bigger house and buy even more things.

Eventually, we all move out and settle to our final resting place.

-

 “Your daddy gave this to me when I needed it the most. I want you to have it now.”

“You needed a book?”

“No kiddo, not the book. I was lost and the things inside this book, it helped me to not get lost anymore.”

“But Nicky, I’m not lost.”

“No, you’re not.” He smiled, messing the kid’s hair. “I just think you’re the rightful owner of this book. Promise me you’ll keep it safe?”

“Promise you’ll come visit and see daddy?”

“Promise.”

“Okay, then I promise too.”