- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Just wanna say a big thanks to the reviews for the past 2 chapters. I added a chapter quickly last night, but as i'm on a day off today i'll try add a few for you all. As always, thank you for reading and keep them reviews coming :)

Chapter 44

Nick stretched the next morning feeling a pounding headache followed by nausea and tried to sit up, but couldn’t move.
Sighing to himself he lifted himself up slowly almost gagging at how dry his mouth was.
“God…” he groaned out feeling his head pounding even more.
“Hhmmm?” Riley sighed next to him in bed.
“I think I’m coming down with something.” He groaned when his voice was all raspy and messed up as he spoke. “Yeah definitely coming down with something maybe you should leave the room before you catch this.” he croaked out and slid back into bed with a sigh. He had no strength to get up and the glass of water he so badly needed seemed even more tempting when he felt how bad his throat was.

“And leave you sick? Yeah right. Do you have a fever?” she asked and he felt her cool hand on his forehead. “Nope, no fever. Let’s get you downstairs and onto the couch then so we can get some vitamins in you.” she said cheerfully making Nick groan at the thought of moving.
He scowled when she climbed off the bed and opened the curtains, letting the bright Florida sunshine stream into the room, hurting his head.
"Riley.." He slowly sat up and felt dizzy just watching her move around the bed, pulling some clothes on.

"Yea babe?" She pulled a tank top on before moving over to the bed then stroked his face slowly with a smile.
"Can't i just stay here?" He leant his head forward on her shoulder and closed his eyes, his head feeling heavy."
"You might feel better if you get up baby, especially if we're seeing your mom later."
He groaned and shook his head. "I can't see my mom like this. Ugh let me stay here and sleep, please? I'm so tired."
Riley ran her hands up and down his back, relaxing him more. "Ok, but you need some food inside you and some tablets before you sleep. Toast or soup?"

"Coffee, and a warm bagel..." Nick mumbled, making her chuckle.
"Ok babe. Why don't you go have a quick shower whilst i sort that out for you."
Nick nodded and laid back down in the bed as Riley stood up and chuckled, seeing him asleep already and smiled before leaving the room to get him his food.

***

 
Riley walked around the house seeing old pictures of Nick and what she assumed would be friends. Nick had been asleep all morning after he had eaten some of his breakfast and she didn’t want to disturb his sleep.
One of the guys in the pictures looked vaguely familiar to her, but she couldn’t seem to place him.
The only thing she knew was that he was no good. Something told her that he might have been a friend of her brother and that was why she recognized him, and that meant no good. Her brother didn’t have any friends that she had ever approved of.
She walked down the corridor slowly and stopped in front of a picture that was obviously taken at a club, but this one had a description underneath it.
“Shiiiit….no wonder…” Riley spoke to herself. “Bean….. how did he end up hanging with him…. Worthless piece of shit..” she muttered to herself and felt the anger build up inside her.


Suddenly a pair of arms slid around her waist from behind and she was engulfed in Nick’s arms within seconds. “Who’s a worthless piece of shit?” Nick asked. His voice still sounded croaky, but he seemed to be feeling better than he had been that morning.
"Bean. How long have you been friends with him?" She turned to look at him, a disgusted expression on her face which made him chuckle.
"Years now, but i couldn't tell you the last time i hung out with him. He's off doing whatever and I'm busy with my own life."
Riley rolled her eyes. "Meaning when he found out you were sober he didn't want to know?"
Nick frowned. "What makes you say that?"


She sighed. "I've known Bean...Robert since i was around 10 or so. He was nearing 20 when he became friends with Danny, who was only 13 or so. He's a creep, got Danny into a lot of trouble and tried to hit on me as soon as i was 'older looking'. Didn't matter i was only 13 and his friends little sister. As far as i know he and Danny are still good friends." She pulled a face again and groaned, just the reminder of the memory of Bean trying it on with her making her feel nauseous.
"Wow..small world. Maybe i know your brother then?"
Riley shrugged. "Maybe, but he's turned into a douche like Bean already was. Love my brother, but he is stupid at times. I can't believe you were friends with Bean too. Definitely is a small world." She wrapped her arms around his waist and looked up at him. "You feeling better?"

Nick smiled down at her and pulled her closer making her smile back at him.
“So are we going to your mom’s then?” she asked but Nick shook his head.
“Nope, I’m gonna spend the day with my girl in bed. Throat is still kinda sore but I don’t think that’s anything bad. And I’m taking you out for dinner later. A friend of mine owns this place in town with the most amazing Mexican food. Then after that…. We’re going back to bed.” he smirked and Riley felt herself blushing.
“Mexican food might do this cold or whatever it is good. Spice it out of you, but we don’t have to go anywhere” she smiled as Nick started shaking his head.
“Hell yes we do baby. I’m back home and need to show my girl off.”


Riley blushed again not understanding why Nick would want to show her off but part of her loved it. “As long as we don’t run into Bean.. and that other guy next to him on the picture. Don’t know his name but I know I’ve seen him before.” Riley groaned.
“Tony?” Nick pointed at the guy standing next to Bean on the picture as Riley nodded. “He got married a few years ago. Haven’t spoken much to him either really.”
Riley chuckled. “I think I have a clue why. I’d like to NOT run into them if that’s ok with you.” she smiled and Nick just nodded as he pulled her closer and kissed into her neck.
“Can I take my girl with me in the shower now? I was going to take one, but it was lonely in there. And we haven’t actually ever taken a proper shower together… At least not where I’ve had time to touch you…” he groaned against her neck before he picked her off the ground making her wrap her legs around his waist.


"Well when you put it like that..." She giggled and wrapped her arms around his neck as he carried her back up the stairs and to the bedroom.


***

They had gone out to dinner later that evening, and once they had finished at the mexican resturant they took a slow walk back to the car, enjoying the cool evening air. Nick had his arm wrapped around Riley's waist and she had her arm wrapped around his back.
They were walking as close as they could together and Nick loved it. She was talking to him about one summer she had in Tampa when he heard someone calling his name.
He ignored it, thinking it was random people but turned around when he started to recognize the voice.

"AJ?"
AJ jogged over to them with a smile on his face. "I KNEW it was you in the mexican restaurant! Hey Riley!" He leant closer to Riley and kissed her cheek before looking at Nick. "Mom was convinced it was you, but i thought you had gone back to Nashville. What gives?"
Nick went to answer when Denise caught up with them and smiled at Nick.
“I thought you were in Nashville.” She smiled again making Nick smile in return.
“We were but Aaron and her friend became too much for  us so we took off on a little vacation. What are you guys doing here?”

AJ chuckled at the mention of Aaron and slid his arm around Nick’s neck with a grin.
“You used to be that annoying bro. We’re just driving through but stopped for dinner. Kinda creepy. Mom was too tired to keep driving tonight and all.” AJ said as he rolled his eyes slightly which meant that Denise had been one annoying road trip partner that day.
Nick chuckled and looked down at Riley, who was looking at him a little confused. "Baby this is Denise, AJ's mom. Denise this is Riley, my girlfriend."

Denise smiled and took Riley's hand, squeezing it gently. "It's nice to meet you Riley. AJ's mentioned you a few times. He said you’re their new tour manager. Some advice to you....don't take their crap. They can be pretty lazy at times and demanding, just tell them what for."
Riley chuckled but looked even more confused than before, making them all laugh.
"Babe Denise used to be our tour manager back in the day. She pretty much knows us inside and out, which is a little scary actually.." Nick pulled Riley close and kissed the top of her head.

"Well we should let you guys go. We have a drive to look forward to also." Denise smiled at them as AJ rolled his eyes, making Nick laugh.
"It was nice meeting you Riley. You and Nick should come over for dinner whilst you’re in Florida." Riley nodded and agreed before they all said bye.

Riley chuckled to herself as she and Nick headed back to their car, making Nick look down at her. "What's funny?"
Riley looked up at him. "Nothing really i guess, just....it’s nice how everyone’s welcoming of me. I don't get it. With all the people you dated before from what you told me I'm surprised they like me."

Nick stopped and pulled Riley close against himself with a smile. “Maybe because you actually talk to them and you aren’t attached to me like a leech glaring at anyone trying to get close to me. What can I say babe… I’ve never had a girl like you. Didn’t think I’d ever get that lucky.” He blushed slightly at his own words when Riley grinned up at him.

“So I shouldn’t be offended that people keep telling me you used to have bad taste? Cause they seem to be very hooked up on how your ex girlfriends were. I don’t really get it. They are ex’s for a reason in my opinion.”
Nick grinned widely and picked Riley up off the ground as he hugged her. “No wonder why I love you babe. You’re amazing.” he sighed into her neck before putting her back down on the ground.
She giggled before grabbing his hand and pulled him towards the car, making him laugh.