- Text Size +
Chapter 2
At the hospital I found Aaron sitting in a rocking chair and looked like he had been reading a magazine and Nick was lying in the bed with Raine. They all looked very peaceful. When I had gotten closer, I could tell that Nick had been crying. I walked over to him and gently placed my hand on his cheek. He stirred a bit before he woke up. “Hey.” Nick whispered. “Hey Nick. How is she doing?” I whispered back. Nick carefully laid her back down before he got off the bed. “She’s been better.” He said with a half smile. “Has Alex been back around?” “He’s back but he’s down in the waiting room trying to get some rest.” Nick said. “Why don’t you go keep him company?” Aaron said sitting up and stretching. “I think I will.” I said looking over at him. “Hey Ally.” “Yeah.” I said turning back around to look at Nick. “Where’s Kevin at?” “He told me he was going to stay at home.” “Oh, okay.” I smiled and then headed out down the hall.

I had found Alex trying to get comfortable in a chair. He had the lights off, sunglasses on, arms crossed over his chest and legs stretched one over the other so I assumed he was asleep. “Typical AJ.” I said smiling at myself. He looked so relaxed. I just sat down next to him and placed my head on his shoulder. “Hey, beautiful.” He whispered. “Hi Alex.” “How is she?” He asked. “She and Nick were lying in bed sleeping when I got here. She looked fine.” “That’s good.” I turned to look at him. “Alex.” He turned to look back at me. “I can’t do this without you. You know that right?” I started. “I know that.” “We both have to be strong for her.” I said starting to cry. “Ally you’re her mother. You’re the stronger one.” He said removing his shades. “You can help her fight this. Raine did wonderfully in chemo today. I think she’s been doing a lot better lately.” He said placing his hand in mine. “I’m just afraid she won’t make it to her next birthday.” I said crying. “Hey, don’t ever think that! She’s a fighter, like her mother. She is going to live to see many of her birthdays.” He said snapping at me. “Alex I’m just scared.” I said as he moved over and wrapped his strong arms around me. “I’m scared too. We just have to keep a happy face and everything will turn out just fine. I promise.” He whispered into my ear. “I love you Alex.” Alex closed his eyes after I had said those three words. “I love you too.” I couldn’t believe I had actually said it after five and a half years. I used to tell him all the time before we broke up. But what is it now that got me to say it to him again? Was it a slip of the tongue or do I really mean it? Yeah, I do love Alex, but do I “LOVE” him like I love Kevin? Right now I’m just so confused.

Few days later I was on the couch reading Raine a story when the guys walked in the room. “Hey beautiful.” Kevin said leaning in and kissed my cheek. “Hi daddy.” Raine said in a low voice. Alex came over, sat down, placed her on his lap and gave her a kiss. “What are you all doing here?” I asked. “Did you forget we’re leaving for the tour in about two hours?” Brian said sitting down by the window. “That’s today?! Oh my god, I totally forgot.” I said as Howie sat down on the edge of the bed. Nick pulled up a chair. “I guess I’ve just had things on my mind lately that I just forgot.” I said feeling really bad. “Daddy.” “Yeah, sweetheart.” “How long are you going to be gone?” Alex looked up at the guys before he could answer. “This is the start of our ‘Black and Blue Around the World’ promotional tour.” Brian said. “We should be back in about two weeks.” Nick said smiling at Raine. “Can you bring me back gifts?” “Don’t we always?” Howie said. “Yes.” “But we did forget once, when we were in Vancouver.” Nick said. “There was also Tokyo, Venice, Berlin, Africa...” “I got the point Kevin. We don’t always but we try.” Howie said. “This time we won’t forget.” Alex said. “Promise?” “For you sweetie, I promise.” He said smiling.

The time flew by fast. As the guys were getting up to leave Alex asked if he could talk to me privately before they left. We headed to the waiting room. “What’s going on?” I asked. “I need you to call me everyday.” “Why?” “I just need to know that she’s doing okay.” “You’re going to be gone two weeks. Why can’t you call?” I asked. “I guess I could call when we land in Tokyo.” He said sitting down and I sat next to him. “But will you call me tomorrow morning?” But aren’t you going to be in Stockholm?” “Yeah.” “There’s a big time difference.” I said as he looked at me hurt. “I’ll leave a message to let you know how she’s doing.” I said placing my hand on his.

Alex and I sat there for a while not speaking. “Alex, I want you to be happy and have fun on this journey. This is your biggest experience ever. To see the many fans who never get the chance to see you in concert. To travel to five continents in a hundred hours. Something no other group has ever done.” I started as I looked over at him and saw a single tear fall from his eye. “I want you to go got with a bang. Make your fans proud. Make your daughter and me proud.” I said giving him a smile. “Why are you so good to me after the ways I’ve treated you all these years?” Alex asked looking up at me. “It’s because I do still care about you.” I said getting up. “Allison.” “Yeah, Alex.” I said turning back to see him walking over to me. “The other day... did you mean when you said that you loved me?” “Alex of course I love you.” “No, I mean, do you love me like I still love you?” He said placing his hands on my arms and pulling me closer to him. “Alex... I...” That’s when I felt his lips brush across mine. I could feel my eyes close and I started breathing harder. We soon were drawn into each other in a passionate kiss. “Alex I do still love you...” I whispered. But what I didn’t know was that Kevin saw and heard what I said. “But I can’t.” I said pulling back from him. “Baby I want you back in my life. I want you back in my arms where you belong. I want us to be a family. The type of family I never had. I mean, we never had. Two loving parents raising there child together.” “I wanted that along time ago. But that all changed the second you hung up that phone on me. You could have called me back or called anytime after that. The first time you showed up at my door was when you found out that Kevin and I started dating. Then it took you going to rehab to show up at my door again asking me back. I know you’ve grown the past five years, so have I. Raine wants to see you happy when you walk into the room or on stage. When you’re having a good time she is also.”

I stood there a moment before I continued. “Alex, I miss what we used to have.” I said. “We can work it out somehow.” He said. “But that’s all over now. I’m married to Kevin; I love Kevin, he’s...” “Are you sorry for what happened just now?” “About the kiss? No. I’m not sorry for our kiss. It just brings back the good memories we had together.” “Then you might want to explain that to Kevin.” Alex said as I turned to see Kevin walking away. I ran out after him. “Kevin!” I yelled. He stopped and slowly turned around. It’s okay, I’m fine.” He said grinning. “No you’re not fine. Can we talk about this?” “We do need to talk, but can we do it when I get back?” “I suppose so.” I said as we walked back into Raine’s room. Everyone was giving Raine hugs and kisses then it was my turn for them. “Take care of her.” Nick whispered into my ear. “ I will.” I said giving him a small smile. “You know that you’ll always be in his heart know matter what happens. You and Raine are all Kevin ever talked about the last five years.” Brian said while hugging me. “Brian, Kevin is my whole life and I love him. I married him because I love him and he’s always been there for Raine and me. I don’t want to loose him for anything.” I whispered back. Then I walked over to Howie. “Hey Howie.” “How are you doing?” He asked. “I’ve been better.” I said giving him a big hug. “Just keep smiling and things will get better.” He whispered then kissed my cheek. After pulling back from Howie I walked over to Alex and wrapped my arms around his neck. “I’m sorry.” He whispered. “It’s okay.“ I whispered as I pulled back and smiled. Then I slowly walked over to Kevin and started to cry. He stood there with his hands in his pockets and his facial expression never changed. “Kevin, I love you.” I whispered. He stood there a second before responding. “I love you too.” He said turning and walking away. I stood there in total shock. Brian walked back over and placed his hand on my back. “Just give him sometime.” He said as I turned to look at him. “This will be good for him to getaway from all the stress right now.” “I guess you’re probably right. Can you just keep a close eye on him for me?” “Of course.” He said hugging me again. “If you need someone to talk to Leighanne is here for you.” He said heading to the door. “Thanks Brian.”