- Text Size +

Chapter Two: The News

 If You Only Knew

 

 

DECEMBER 13, 2007

 

 “Hallelujah! Only thirty more miles until we get to LA! Can I get a whoop whoop!!” I sang excitedly, throwing my hands up in the air. Angel laughed and patted me on the leg.

 “You sound like you never been to LA, Aaron.” Nick said, looking at me from the rear view mirror. I glared at him.

“Hey, I’ve been riding in this car for ten straight hours, so why don’t you just shut up.” I said with a sneer. Nick just smiled at me and turned his attention back to the road. Angel shifted in her seat, so she was facing me.

“Remember, once we get home mom’s going to tell you some serious news, Or did you forget?” I slowly turned my head to her, my eyes slitted into a glare.

“Well, I was trying to forget until you opened your mouth. So why don’t you shut up too.”

“Dude, don’t talk to my baby like that.” Collin said. I shot a look at him.

“She’s my sister, DUDE. And Collin, you can just kiss my white ass.” I told him, sitting back in my seat, and resting my head in my hand. I groaned and lifted my head back up. “Gaw, now you got me worried again. Nick drive slower.” I said. Nick just laughed and ignored me. Ugh! I can wait for whatever news mom needs to tell me. I could feel my stomach turning. Gee I was nervous! I went crazy being stuck in Colorado for almost a week. And once I got into the car and we headed home, I almost forgot all about it. That is until Angel opened up her damn mouth. Angel can never keep her mouth shut, that’s why my secrets are kept to myself. I sunk down in my seat and closed my eyes.

****

After we finally got home, I reached into the trunk to get my bags. Nick came up beside me and put my hand on mine. I looked up at him.

“I got your bags, man. Go ahead and go talk to mom.” Nick told me. I sighed and looked down, still holding on to the handle of my bag. I finally nodded and headed toward the house. I walked into the living room and saw Taylin laying on the couch, a book in her right hand. I walked up to her and softly kissed her on the forehead.

“Hi, Tay.” I said, She looked up from her book and smiled at me. She marked her place in her book and swung her right arm around my neck, hugging me tightly. I hugged her back.

 “I missed you.” She said in a tiny voice.

 “I wasn’t gone for that long, Tay.” I said, chuckling a bit.

“It seemed like forever to me.” She said and sweetly gave me a little peck on the cheek. I smiled to myself and pulled away.

 “How are you feeling today?”

 “Pretty good, actually.” She replied.

 “Well that’s good to hear.”

Taylin smiled, “Yup!” She picked up her book and reopened it. I looked at her book. She was reading The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult. I smiled to myself. I absolutely love Jodi, so it pretty cool to see Taylin reading her too.

“This one is good.” I said, tapping a finger on the book.

“Yeah, I can’t put it down.”

I nodded, “Where’s mom at?” I asked her. Taylin picked up the book and held it closer to her face, frowning at the pages.

 “I…..think she’s…in the kitchen.” She answered. I laughed at her expression as she read a page. She is really enjoying that book. I thanked her and wondered into the kitchen. I saw my mom standing by the sink, sipping a glass of ice water.

“Hey, beautiful lady.” I said, embracing her. She laughed and returned the favor. I always said that every time I greeted her. Dad won’t even do anything like that and it saddens her a bit. I pulled back and held her hands in my mine.

“So lets get this over with. What bad news do you need to tell me?” I said, staying as calm as I could possibly be. My mom shook her head.

“No. Not in here. Lets go to your bedroom.” She replied. I rolled my eyes playfully and let her drag me into my room. Once in, I sat on my bed as she shut the door slowly behind her. I pulled my knees up to my chest.

“Here, I got you a glass of ice water too.” She said, handing me the glass. I took it with ease and quickly took a big gulp.

“Thanks, my mouth is so dry.” I said, sighing. I put the water on the table beside me and looked back at her. She was standing up against the wall, her arms crossed in front of her chest. She chewed her bottom lip and I could tell that she was having trouble telling me what she needed to tell me. Oh, great.

 “Okay, first of all. This news is….serious. But it depends if it’s bad or not from how you react to it.” She said. I swallowed, then nodded urging her to go on, “Aaron, I know you don’t like it when me or your father or anyone else brings up your past…but….I have to ask you a question.”

I gave her nod, “Okay….”

She clamped her hands together and stood in front of me, “When you were around…oh I don’t know….fifteen, sixteen years old, did you know a girl named Jasmin?”

I blinked once. What?? “Uh……I don’t know.”

 “Aaron, this is serious. I need you too really think. Does the name Jasmin ring a bell? Is it an old girlfriend? Old fling? What, hunnie? Think about it.” I took a deep breath and looked at the ground. The name did ring a bell, like I’ve hung out with that girl before.

“Yeah,” I started. “The name sounds familiar.” “Do you remember where you know her from?” I stayed silent for a few seconds, when suddenly…..I remembered her.

CRAP.

I stood up and stood by my window. I glanced out the window for a few seconds then turned back to my mom.

 “Mom, Jasmin was a girl that I used to hook up with when I was sixteen. Around the time where I was doing….stupid shit.” I said, looking straight at her. I felt ashamed. Why the hell is she asking me this? What can possibly be so serious if it involves Jasmin? I haven’t seen or heard from that chick in over three years. Why the hell would I care??

 “How many times did you hook up with her?” She asked me. Oh snap, what the hell??

“I don’t know! It was way more than once that’s for damn sure. But I don’t know. Mom, what the hell does this have to do with her?” I asked. She walked over to me and pulled me back down on the bed.

She swallowed hard, then finally turned to me. “Aaron, Jasmin died....last week.” I blinked. And??

“Okay, well that’s really bad. Do--do you know how?”

“She died from a drug overdose.”

 I frowned, “Well, I’m sorry for that, but how did you find that out?”

She licked her lips, “I got a call from the Los Angelas police department. And they told me.” She said.

 “But---” I started to say something but she cut me off.

“Listen to me. They called me for a reason. Aaron, when Jasmin died she left something behind.”

 I blink again. “What?”

“She left a little girl.” She said.

 I gapped. Huh?? “She had a will. In her will it said that that child will never know her daddy, unless it was over her dead body. And in this case….literally over her dead body. When she dies.”

“So what are you saying? That this child is--is mine??” I could not believe this. No. This is not happening.

“The police don’t know that. But hunnie….answer one more question for me okay.”

 I sighed, heavily, “What?”

 “When you and Jasmin hooked up, did you guys ever have unprotected sex?”

 I groaned loudly and fell back onto the bed, “Mom, come on!”

 “Just answer the damn question!”

I rubbed my eyes with my hand for a few seconds, then looking my mom straight in the eye, “Mom….I had sex with Jasmin every time I hooked up with her. And most of the time I was too drunk out of my fucking mind to even remember it!” I replied, rubbing my head. She didn’t say anything, “What do you think? Do you think that this baby is mine, mom?” I continued.

“Well, “ She started, “I can’t say, until you go to the hospital and have a DNA testing. That’s what the police wants you to do. And that’s why I was wanting you home last week. But I have no control over the weather or no control over your brother too so….” I shook my head in dismay. How can I be so damn stupid? Shit, what if this kid is mine? What the hell am I suppose to do? I guess I can go ahead and do that damn DNA testing…shit. But what if it comes out to be true?? Oh damn I’m scared shitless!

“Um…do you know anything about her? How old is she?” I asked, barely recognizing my voice. I talked to quietly, it was a miracle that she even heard me, because when I looked up she was giving me a small smile.

“I’m sorry, sweetie. They wouldn’t give me any information about her. Hunnie, do you know anything else about Jasmin?”

 I sighed, “Yeah. She was a stripper at the time.” I said, looking at her for a split second that looked down at the ground, “So…..this child could possibly NOT be mine. Since strippers are whores who dream of being porn stars, mom.” I said, getting off the bed and heading back into the kitchen. She got up and joined me.

“This DNA test is to know for sure. But according to Jasmins will….she actually had your name on it.”

“She could be lying too,” I sighed heavily. “When do I need to do this?”

“As soon as possible would be best. Just to make sure, sweetie.” I had no idea what to feel at the moment. I leaned against the counter, resting my hands up against it. A lump started to form in my throat. I closed my eyes and clinched my teeth to try and keep the tears in. I felt her put a comforting hand on my back. She hugged me from behind, resting her chin on my shoulder.

“Hunnie….if she is yours….I would like to know what you’ll do. I won’t be mad if you decide not to take her…..”

 “Are you kidding me?” I shot her a glare. “If she is mine-I’m going to take her! She’s mine! She’s my responsibility. I’m not going to abandon her too! I’m not that kind of person.” I said, a sob finally escaping from me. I covered my mouth and cried. I can’t believe I might be a daddy. If she is mine, I’ll never leave her. How can I even think of not taking her. I’m no asshole and I’m defiantely not going to be no dead beat dad either. I want to make things right. If she is mine, I’ll give her everything. I’ll give her the whole damn world.

“I know you won’t, hunnie.”

“I--I just….” I took a shaky breath and looked at her. “Mom…”

She smiled, a tear making it’s way down her cheek, “Yes?”

I forced a smile through my tears, “I hope she is mine.” She took me in arms and held me. I sobbed into her shoulder, wrapping my arms around her tighter. She kissed my head neck tenderly and stroked my hair.

 “I hope she is too. Just go make sure, okay.”

 “Mmkay.” I said quietly. I went back to my room and closed the door. Laying on my bed, I grabbed my phone out of my bag. Grasping it in my hand tightly, I didn’t know what to feel. My body felt numb and the only thing that I could feel was the pounding of my heart. With shaky hands I pushed my doctors office number. When he answered, I told him that I’ll be going by the hospital for a DNA testing.