- Text Size +
*Same Day*

UCLA Medical Center

I laid motionless on the couch in my doctors office, my eyes fixed on the ceiling. I pondered on the high possibility of becoming a father. I thought about how this was going to change everything. That is if I even am the father of this little girl. Everyone thinks I’m a screw up, so that’s not going to change once everyone knows this truth.
Wait…what the hell am I saying? Everyone else can kiss my ass. They look at me and expect me to be this big hero or something. They expect me to be perfect, like I would never make a mistake in my life. This news isn’t going to change anything. It’ll only prove that I’m responsible enough to handle my own actions. Screw everyone else. They know absolutely nothing.
My mind started to wander away from the thoughts of my possible fatherhood, to the endless possibility of chaos that will erupt within my father whenever he hears about this. Oh damn. No….no….no. Stop thinking about it, man! This is about the little girl right now, worry about the aftermath later. What if he disowns me? No! I growled slapping my forehead. I ran my hand over my face as I turned my head to look up at my doctor, Kenny. Dr. Kenny Davidson.
Kenny sat at his computer, his glasses hanging on his nose. I covered my mouth up with my hand, hiding the smile that quickly spread over my face. I covered it up with a fake cough. Kenny looked like a total dork with his glasses like that.

“You know, if you keep staring at your computer like that, it’ll make you go blind.” I said chuckling at bit. Kenny peered at me over his glasses.

“I thought the nude photos of my mother in her playboy days made me go blind.” Kenny stated. I laughed, lifting myself up and situating myself more comfortably on the couch.

“Why? Your momma was pretty.” I joked with a sly grin on my face. Kenny cleared his throat and narrowed his eyes at me.

“Being the son of an ex playboy bunny isn’t all that….great. Especially when all your friends are hitting on her in front of you.”

“Yeah come to think of it, it would be kind of weird.”

“You forgot embarrassing.”

I pressed my lips together, “That too.” I quickly added. I folded my hands in my lap, nervously picking at my fingernails. Kenny walked over to the couch and sat down beside me.

“So whats on your mind?” I asked him. He put his hand on my shoulder and squeezed it lightly. He sucked in a deep breath and then looked at me.

“I’m just awaiting that damn test.” He said looking at his watch. I lowered my eyes to my lap and silently nodded, “Aaron,” I looked back up at him, silently. “Being a first time father at such a young age is a very scary thing. But don’t worry, okay. I think you’ll do just fine. You’re a good person and I know you’ll do a good job.”

I raised my eyebrows, “Oh yeah? How do you know that?”

“Aaron, I’ve seen how good you are with Taylin. You adore her. You’re more than father than a brother to her. Every time I see you with her…..I have no doubt in my mind that you’ll be a good father.” Tears filled my eyes as I took in every word he said to me deep within my heart. I took a shaky breath and looked at him through my watery eyes.

“Thanks, man.”

Kenny gave me a warm smile and squeezed my shoulder lightly, “No problem.” I glanced at him, giving him a small smile. I watched Kenny silently walk back to his computer. As he sat back down in his chair, the phone rang. He answered at half a ring.

“Davidson here.” He said clicking a pen and leaning back in his chair, “Uh huh. Is it ready? Alright I’ll be down there in a few minutes. Thank you.” I sat up straight as Kenny hung up the phone. My eyes followed him curiously as he got up, pulling his lab coat off the back of his chair and putting it on.

“Aaron, I need to head down to the lab and get the DNA test. It’s finished.” Kenny told me. I sat there silent, but numb for a split second before jumping to my feet, adrenaline rushing through me.

“What did they say??” I rushed the words out so quickly they didn’t even make sense to me. Hopefully he caught that. I suddenly jumped when Kenny clamped a hand on my shoulder. I didn’t realize he was standing right in front of me, his eyes softly staring into mine. My heart pounded loudly in my chest and it felt like my stomach would fall completely out of my body at any moment.

“Calm down. Dr. Martin down at the lab just said that the test was done. He didn’t say what the result is. He’ll give me the test for me to see and I’ll be back up here to tell you otherwise. Yay or nay. Okay?” I swallowed hard, closing my eyes tightly. When I reopened them my vision became blurred and that’s when I realized I was crying. I whipped my tears away quickly and took a deep breath, forcing myself to calm down. Biting my lip, I nodded slightly. I slowly sat back down, rubbing my sweaty hands on my jeans. Kenny bent over, placing his hand lightly on my shoulder.

“Please just relax. Here---” He reached over to a table a few feet away and picked up a magazine. He placed the magazine in my lap, “Read this.” He straightened up and started to the door. I glanced down at the magazine Kenny had just placed in my lap. It was a recent issue of Parent Magazine.

“Parent magazine? Are you that convinced?” I asked, my voice low and scratchy. Kenny stopped in the door way, looking back at me. He smiled, but didn’t say anything.

“I’ll be back in a few.” He said, continuing on his way. I slowly sat back into the couch, looking down at the magazine in my lap.

Parent. Parent. Parent.

No matter how hard I tried shaking that word out of my head, it just wouldn’t go away. It was there to stay. I flipped open the magazine to the front page. I went to turn to the second page, but I closed the magazine instead and tossed it to the side. I’ll just take it home with me. Surely Kenny wouldn’t mind. I swipe his magazines all the time. I laid down, throwing my legs over the arm of the couch. My mind started to wonder away from me. I suddenly thought about BJ. When she dropped me off, she headed over to The children’s hospital los Angeles to see if she can find anything about the little girl. I wished her luck, knowing she wasn’t going to get far without a result. But I thank her for her effort to try.
I closed my eyes, thinking if BJ has had any luck yet.

*******

BJ’s POV


With my heart beating fast in my chest and my palms sweating, I nervously walked into the children’s hospital where the little girl was taken just a few short days ago. I didn’t want to just walk up to the front desk and ask about her, because for reason number one; It wasn‘t official that I was family…yet or even at all. And number two; even if I went up to the desk and asked the nurse about this little girl, I wouldn’t be able to tell her diddly squat. I didn’t know the girl’s name and I can’t provide proof that I knew her. All I wanted was to see her.
I leaned up against the light pink wall right in front of the front desk. Several nurses stood about, chatting and checking their charts. I awkwardly switched over to my right leg, arms across my chest and trying really hard to avoid eye contact. I figured if I just relax and act all casual, they’ll won’t ask any questions. Boy was I wrong.

“Can I help you?” I voice came from beside me. I quickly backed away from the wall and turned around, coming face to face with a nurse. The woman was around my height, her blond hair with sprouts of gray in between was pulled back into a tight bun. Her glasses rested comfortably on her nose. Her smile was warm and welcoming. My eyes traveled down to her name tag; Eleanor Rose it read.

“Uh….” I stammered. I tried to find words to explain my being here. “Um…I hate to be a bother…” Really? BJ, is that the best you can do??

“Oh no it’s okay. What can I help you with?”

I flashed a quick smile, “First of all, my name is BJ Carter and I’m the sister of Aaron Carter; the man who may possibly be the father of a little girl that was brought here a couple of days ago. There’s a DNA test in the works right now to see if he is the father or isn’t.”

The woman crossed her arms in front of her chest, “What’s the girl’s name?”

Crap. “I-I don’t know, ma’am. I was hoping I can maybe see her----”

“Oh no. I’m sorry Miss Carter, we can’t allow you to see her. As of right now you’re not proved to be family and I can’t give any more information out regarding the girl.” She told me. I pressed my lips together tightly.

“Understandable. Thank you for your time.” I said with a small smile. She nodded and walked over to the front desk. With her back turned I quickly raced past the front desk and walked into another hallway, careful not to run into anymore doctors or nurses. I sighed in relief when the front desk was out of my view. I slowed my pace and continued to walk the hallway.

“Dang girl you walk fast.” I jumped when a voice came from behind me. A young woman grabbed my shoulder as she ran in front of me. I froze, my eyes wide.

“I heard you talking to Eleanor about that little girl.” She continued. My mouth shot open and my eyes got even wider.

“You’re not going to call security or turn me in are you?” I said, my voice shaky. I was seriously freaking out now. The girl laughed, tucking a strand of her dark brown hair behind her ear.

“No, don’t worry about that. My name is Catherine by the way and you are?” She said, holding out her hand.

“Um I’m BJ. BJ Carter.” I told her, shaking her hand politely. She smiled warmly at me.

“It’s nice to meet you BJ.” Catherine stepped closer to me and her voice went into a whisper, “I know what little girl you were asking about.”

I shook my head, “Look I know it goes against all regulations and rules of not giving out information containing a patient if you’re not family, but Catherine if I could just see this little girl…just through the window, you know. Not exactly meeting her, but just to see her. It’s very important to me. I would just like to see the possibility of that little girl being my niece. Although she may not be. I don’t know that. Can I please see her.” I asked quietly, my eyes pleaded and searching hers for an answer. Catherine stayed silent for a few more seconds. One second to late. Come on woman say something. Gee I feel like an idiot now.

“You know I can get into a great deal of trouble for this.” Catherine quickly said just as I was getting ready to say sorry and leave. I closed my mouth, eager to hear more of what she had to say.

“And you are right about our regulations and everything, but BJ I am going to allow you to see her. Only see her though. I can’t give out her name or anything about her, until your brothers DNA test comes back to us, proving he’s the father of that child. If so I would be more than happy to answer any questions you and your brother may have.” Those words made my heart happy. I smiled from ear to ear and threw my arms around her neck, hugging her tightly. Catherine laughed and hugged me back.

“Thank you so much, Catherine. I really appreciate it.”

“It’s the least I can do. Come on, I’ll take you to her myself.” She smiled, showing me the way to the elevator a few feet away from us. We stepped onto the elevator and I watched Catherine push the tenth floor. The doors closed and we were on our way up to the tenth floor. My heart fluttered and my mind raced. Twirling my fingers around and around, I wondered how squirmy Aaron was getting.

***********

Aaron’s POV

“A few minutes my ass.” I said, glancing at the clock for the millionth time. Kenny has been gone for almost an hour. Five minutes after he left I decided to read that magazine he gave me and I just now finished reading it. I’m getting this magazine more often; very helpful. I stood up, running my fingers through my hair and taking a deep breath. I paced the floor ferociously, getting more nervous by the second. Where the hell is he?? This is torture! I looked at the clock again; an hour has passed. I slumped my shoulders and rested my hands on my hips.

“That dirty little liar.” I said, shaking my head. Startled, I suddenly jumped up in the air when the door suddenly opened. Kenny waltzed on in, envelope in hand. I glared at him, getting myself ready to say a little something to him. But before I could, Kenny grabbed my arms and back-walked me back to the couch.

“Take a seat.” He quickly said, placing my butt back on the couch.

“Okay.” I said, calmly. I watched him take his lab coat off and put it back on the chair, “A few minutes my fanny!” I continued, chuckling.

Kenny glanced at me for a split second, then stared down at the envelope in his hand. My eyes quickly landed on it as well.

“I’m sorry about that, Aaron. It took longer than I thought. I hardly deal with issues like this.”

“Are those the results?” I asked, nodding at the yellow envelope. Kenny placed both hands on the envelope.

“Yeah.” He said, sighing.

“Have you seen it?”

“Yes.”

My eyes lowered to the ground, while my hand flew to my chest. I didn’t realize I was holding my breath. I quietly got my breathing back to normal after that quick lose of breath I just had. I swallowed hard and winced in pain. Oh crap…that hurt. When I looked back up, Kenny was sitting on the table right in front of me, the envelope outstretched in my direction.

“Just take a look. Yay or nay.” I reached up and touched the edge of the envelope, my hands shaking uncontrollably.

I swallowed again, painfully. I closed my eyes tightly, feeling myself growing faint. “Kenny, I don’t feel good.”

Kenny placed a hand on my shoulder, keeping me balanced, “Calm down. Just relax. I’m not telling you yes or no. I want you to look for yourself. “

I shook my head, “This is too much. It’s happening to fast.”

“I know. You can do it. I believe in you….” I gave him a quick glance, before sitting up straight and taking a deep breath. I forced myself to focus. Eying that envelope very carefully, I pulled it out of Kenny’s hands and slowly opened it. I reached in and clasped my fingers around a single piece of paper. I slowly pulled it out and placed in eye view.

Holy….snap…….

*******

BJ’s POV

I followed Catherine out of the elevator and down a brightly lit hallway. The walls up here were also painted a soft pink but with little bears painted along the top. It was really nice and cute. We stopped at the door of room 102. Catherine turned to me and smiled.

“There she is.” She said pointing into the window. The shades were cracked open just a bit. Just enough for me too see her perfectly. I gasped lightly, placing my right hand over my heart. Tears formed in my eyes and a smile spread across ever inch of my face. The little girl was sitting on a bright pink fluffy chair, writing in a little notebook. Her blond hair was combed through nicely. Although she was really thin, she was absolutely gorgeous. I just couldn’t believe what I was seeing.

“BJ?”

I let out a little laugh, “You know…that DNA test wasn’t necessary.”

“What do you mean?” Catherine asked.

I looked at her, my smile getting bigger. I didn’t say anything to her. I just smiled and let the tears run down my face in joy. Catherine nodded. She didn’t need an answer. She already knew it.

“Hey, I got to get back to the front desk. We got the result in.” Catherine said looking at her pager, then clipping it back to her pants. I turned to her still smiling, “But I guess you already knew that.” She said smiling before turning around and walking back to the elevator.

“Oh BJ?” She called back to me before she got into the elevator.

“Yeah?”

“Call me Cat.” She told me.

I smiled and nodded. Catherine nodded once again and stepped onto the elevator. My hand quickly went to my front pocket of my jeans when I felt my phone vibrate. I flipped my phone open and I had one text message from Aaron.

‘I’m on my way! Rob is on his way there now. Meet me at the front desk.’ The message read. I shut my phone and put it back in my pocket. Still smiling I took one more look at the girl, then headed back downstairs to wait for my brother.

********

Aaron’s POV

Once I arrived at the children’s hospital, I sprung out of my car and ran to the door as fast as I could. My heart pounded in my chest so hard, I thought it was going to explode any minute. The doors opened and I raced in, scanning the lobby for BJ. I found her sitting in a nearby chair.

“Beejee!” BJ turned her head to the sound of my voice. Once she saw me, she jumped up to greet me. I flung myself into her arms and she gave me the tightest hug she has ever given me. I was so happy and excited, I started to cry all over again. This feeling was so overwhelming. I can’t believe I’m a daddy!

-----------

Later on, we met up with Rob Johnson. The chief police officer at the Los Angeles police department. Rob is also one of my best friends and I owe him everything. Rob is one hell of a police officer. He does his job well. I actually think sometimes a little bit too well. Some people would call him ‘good cop, bad cop.’ I call him a good cop. On the other hand his cop buddies may think ‘bad cop’. The reason; they hate me, because Rob has bailed my ass out on many occasions’.
Rob is only forty two years old and married. He has a ten year old daughter named Katie and an older son Trey who is my age---twenty and one of my buddies. Trey is crazy fun to be around--sometimes. Sometimes I wish I didn’t know him. But other than that I would never trade Trey for anyone else.
Rob, along with a couple of nurses named Eleanor and Catherine, led BJ and I to the tenth floor where my baby was staying. The two nurses nor Rob said anything about her. I thought that was kind of strange. All Rob was doing was patting me on the back and giving me huge ass smiles. Rob is awesome, but dammit he needs to not do that!

“Are you excited?” Rob asked me. Oh now he says something.

“Very. Are you going to tell me anything about her?” I asked.

He leaned into me, “In time.” He quickly said, then straightening up and putting a smile back on his face.

“Why do you do this to me?” I asked glaring at him.

“It’s my job.” Rob chuckled. I rolled my eyes. The elevator stopped, the doors opened and I made sure I was the first one out. The others were right behind me. Rob quickly got up with me.

“Wait up. Hold on. Mrs. Rose what room is it?” Rob asked the nurse Eleanor Rose.

“Its up this way. Room 102, just a few feet up and to your left.” She said pointing the way. Rob stopped us when we reached room 102. He took some paper work from Eleanor.

“Thank you ma’am.” He nodded to her, politely.

“It should be all there, Mr. Johnson. If there is anything you need don’t hesitate to ask.” Eleanor said smiling. Rob nodded and thank her again. Eleanor and Catherine then left, leaving Rob with BJ and I.

“Okay, can I see her now?” I asked getting a impatient.

“In a minute. I need to speak with you. I want to tell you everything that I know about your daughter and the reason why she’s even here.” Rob said. I have been wondering why she was here as well. What the hell is going on?

“I was wondering why she was here and not in a foster care facility. Is she hurt??” I asked. I started to get scared. I didn’t want my baby to hurt anymore. I wanted to hold her now.

“Aaron, hold on.” He told me, sternly. I rolled my eyes and looked away. Crossing my arms across my chest I turned back to him ready to listen to him.

“Okay first of all, your daughters name is Christina Juliana. But she is known by CJ.”

“Aw how cute.” BJ squealed. I smiled and nodded. That is a very pretty name.

“She was born on Christmas of two thousand four. So she’s almost four years old.” Rob continued. He took a deep breath, resting his hands on his hips, “Now listen carefully, Aaron.” I nodded, “Her mother…the woman you impregnated OD’d a couple of nights ago. When we were called to the scene, that place wasn’t livable. It really wasn’t. It was completely unsanitary. Defiantely not suitable for a toddler. There were liquor bottles all the place. Everything and anything you could use to do any kind of drug you can get you’re hands on were found, including several pounds of marijuana, cocaine, crystal Meth…you name it, we found it. “ Just listening to him made me want to wish her mother never died so I can go out and kill her myself. I felt myself getting very angry. I couldn’t stop the tears. They came and they came hard and fast.

“We found CJ in a locked bedroom in the back of the house.” Rob continued, “She was skinny and very dirty. Her hair and clothes were covered in her own waste. We found old wounds all over her body, new ones on her back and face, so she wasn’t only neglected but abused as well. I was told by a close source that the only caring family member CJ had was Jasmines half brother Lt. Michael McDaniel. He was stationed in Iraq earlier this year and just a few months ago he was killed by a road side bomb.”

Maybe I wasn’t hearing him right. My ears weren’t working. I tried to drown out his words after he said how he found her. My heart broke. I felt it. It was real and it hurt. I shook my head, letting it fall into my hand. I broke down and sobbed quietly, my heart breaking even more. I felt BJ push past me and peered at her through the cracks in my fingers.

“She’s not sick is she? I mean she didn’t get any diseases by everything? Aids?” BJ asked her. I closed my eyes tightly, praying to GOD he wouldn’t say yes.

“Shockingly….no. She’s fine.” Rob answered.

“Thank God.” I sobbed. I took a deep breath, clutching my chest.

“Emotionally though….I don’t know. She has you for that, Aaron.” He said, looking at me. I nodded silently. Rob rubbed my arm comfortably.

“I don’t understand. Why would anyone do that to a baby? My baby….”

“Some one who has no heart. But you do. And you can help her through this. She needs you, buddy. She needs you now more than ever.”

I sniffed, as fresh tears spilled out, “She’s got me….”

“That’s all the info I have for you right now. When I find anything else, I’ll tell you right away.”

I nodded. “Thank you.” I hugged him tightly.

“You’re always welcome. You can go see her now. You can go see your baby girl.” He told me. I nodded and smiled. He shook my hand and said goodbye to us. Watching him leave, I took a deep breath and whipped my tears away with my shirt.

“You know what?” BJ said walking up to me and putting her arms gently around my waist. I wrapped my arms around her shoulders and rested my head on top of hers.

“What, Beejee?”

“That DNA test wasn’t necessary.”

I frowned, “What do you mean?”

BJ looked up at me, a tear rolling down her cheek. I reached up and flicked it away, “Aaron, she looks exactly like you. I thought I was looking a ghost from the past but….in a girl form.” BJ said, chuckling. I smiled and chuckled along side of her.

“Well, let me see.” I kissed her on the forehead and walked to the door of room 102 where my baby is waiting for me. I quietly knocked. I heard a faint ‘come in’. With my heart pounding, I slowly opened the door and stepped inside, BJ right behind me. My heart stopped when I saw her. I couldn’t believe I was looking at something so beautiful and precious. My baby was sitting up on her bed, looking at me. She had my blond hair and…every thing about me, I saw in her. And I mean absolutely everything. I noticed her expression change immediately when she saw me. Sweet tears welled up in her eyes and one quietly broke free.

“Daddy?” She said in a tiny voice. That was enough for me. The lump in my throat broke free and I fell to my knees. My baby shot off her bed and sprang into my arms. I never felt so much love for one human being before in my life. I held her tight, sobbing into her shoulder. Stroking her hair, she cuddled into me, burying her face into my neck.

“I’m here now baby.” I cried, running my hands through her blond hair.

“I always knew you would come for me. I knew it.” She said, hugging me tighter. I cried hard, falling onto the floor. She wrapped her arms around my waist, locking her legs in place, never letting go.

“I always knew you were out there. I always knew you wanted me.”

“I got you baby. You’re mine. Now and forever. You’re mine.” I kissed her head tenderly. She lifted her head up, her lips resting at the tip of my ear.

“You’re mine too, daddy. All mine.”

I smiled through my tears. “Let me look at you.” I said pulling back and looking at her close up. She had my eyes. My dark brown eyes. She had my smile. She had everything.

“You are so beautiful.”

My baby smiled, “Just like my daddy.” I laughed and brought her in my arms once again. I rocked her back and forth.

I could stay on this floor and hold my baby forever. She is mine and only mine. No one will ever come close.